TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

How will Pittman fare next season?

He's still on the team right? A lot of teams have multiple backs w/ different styles. So I'm curious how often and how exactly will Pittman be used? I thought he was decent last season he's got some speed, but like Jackson he really didn't have good holes to run through. I'm hoping with an improved o-line and karney at FB he'll get some decent burn. He put up 296 yards on 79 attempts last season. I don't think 500 yards would be out of reach next season if there are enough attempts to go around.

But I'm more curious about how he'll be used more so than what he'll put up. Everyone knows SJ is going to get carries and he'll reassert himself as a top 5 back in the league.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: How will Pittman fare next season?

I can't see Pittman beating out Darby for the second spot, assuming we don't draft a back. Darby is just as quick, has better hands, and is a far superior blocker ...

Plus, I think this regime might try to fit Leonard into the mix. He also is a good blocker and receiver, and I think he might show his value being able to pick up tough yards in short yardage situations ...

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

i forgot ALL about this guy, CUT HiM..

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

He'd better show up on STs to stay,imo.
    Terrible stone hands,no?

Keenum is offline Registered User

Darby looked like he had some receiving skills last year (lead the team in receiving in 2 games I think, including 80+ yards in one!), and has also been a better blocker. I think he should beat out Pittman and claim that #2 spot, and Pittman probably staying as #3... unless we are planning to keep Leonard as #3 (which the possibility of mixing him in as our #2 FB at times as well).

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Darby definitely has displayed an ability to pick up the blitz on a few occasions. That said, I don't know that he's as fast as Pittman. Maybe he is, but from what I saw, Pittmen looked very quick when healthy. Pittman was able to go between the tackles or run sweeps with moderate success given that the guys blocking for him didn't exactly set the world on fire. I like both players, and look forward to their competition in camp.

Brian Leonard is really an enigma at this point - particularly with no feedback from Spags (so far anway), as to how he'll be used. No question he passes the 4 pillar test, but can he find a position from which to excel at the NFL level? I hope he can find a way to contribute and stick .. we'll see soon enough I guess ...

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Just like it is hard to fairly judge Bulger over the last two years I think the same could be said about the running backs. All offensive output is hurt by a weak line.

I personally think if we improve the O-Line, establish a strong passing component and utilize Karney to his maximum potential... we could have one of the strongest running games with Jackson, Darby, Pittman and Leonard.

I'm a little crazy but instead of labeling which one is 2, 3 or 4th on the depth charts... I would rotate them in and out to constantly have fresh legs pounding against the defense.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Just like it is hard to fairly judge Bulger over the last two years I think the same could be said about the running backs. All offensive output is hurt by a weak line.
    Couldn't agree more! Spags and Billy may want to go in another direction, (with regard to backup rb), but backup rb certainly isn't our most pressing need. The recent additition of Mike Karney should pay quick dividends with regard to SJ's output; hopefully Mike will earn Bulger's confidence as well and allow Marc to feel more comfortable in the pocket .. So far - 2009 appears to be the best off-season we've had in a while. New FO, new HC and supporting cast, solid player acquisitions so far, including keeping 2 of our own key players .. Bring on the draft !!!

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    i forgot ALL about this guy, CUT HiM..
    Iiiiiiiii Have to agree. cut him with James hall, little, Flopfenstien, Cload wrotten.......