throwback week

PHAT-MONEY Guest

How You Know If Your A true Ram Fan?

you are a true fan if you cry weekly and pray to god for your team to win.. you are a true fan if you defend your team on a daily basis. you are a true fan if you defend linehan.. well I am a big fan I have done all of the above for many years now.. but i will no longer defend linehan.. this is why I did not want to fire martz... atleast he gave us a chance to win EVERY GAME WE PLAYED.. he may have lead us to turnover the ball alot.. but with martz we also caused the most turnovers.. that was more Lovie, but i think you get my point.. On NFL Total access on location last night deion said that marshall should be running the rams organization next year.. I know this will never happen, but what if marshall fires linehan and john shaw and jay zygmunt.. do you think that mike martz would come back.. i miss him.. deny all you want but you guys miss him too. we have to uch talent to be 3-12. there are less talented teams that are doing more with less. even the patriots could win with our o-line.. It is linehan that they can't win with.. the rams arent buying into this guy.. so why keep him around.... John Shaw is too Proud to admit that he should have keep martz..

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: How You Know If Your A true Ram Fan?

very nice man... good stuff... being a ram fan is hard right now is it now.... keep it up... when the start to do good again, it will be all the sweeter

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Couldn't disagree more with several of your points.

Firstly, I've never cried over a sports team. You take it far to seriously if you do.

Secondly, by the time John Shaw finally got enough guts to fire Martz, it was well past the due date as far as I'm concerned. But I suspect he wanted to be fair to the man, just as I'm sure is his thinking with Linehan.

Thirdly, no I do not miss Mike Martz. If he were willing to come back as an offensive coordinator I'd welcome him, but only as an OC.

Fourthly, I'm not so sure at this point they are really trying to win. Certainly would benefit them more to lose. So I haven't drawn a conclusion that they can't win with Linehan, and I won't until they are a healthy team next year.

And finally, the injuries speak for themselves. No reasonable fan could reasonably expect the Rams to be in a much better position than they are in. It's been beaten to a pulp all year long and nothing has changed. But I'll say it again, INJURIES ARE THE BIGGEST REASON WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE, AND IT WILL NOT CHANGE UNTIL WE GET HEALTHY PERIOD

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    INJURIES ARE THE BIGGEST REASON WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE, AND IT WILL NOT CHANGE UNTIL WE GET HEALTHY PERIOD
    Have you watched the games? PLAY CALLING IS THE BIGGEST REASON WE ARE WHERE WE ARE. We have had more then enough opportunties to win games, but made stupid play calls and lost them.

also, bennett has screwed us as well, he BLOWS and he is the biggest pussy for an NFL WR I have ever seen. The last pic in the steelers game was all him being a pussy. He pulled his hand down on a catchable ball in FEAR, of being hit.... he should be dropped from the team outright for that.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Have you watched the games? PLAY CALLING IS THE BIGGEST REASON WE ARE WHERE WE ARE. We have had more then enough opportunties to win games, but made stupid play calls and lost them.

also, bennett has screwed us as well, he BLOWS and he is the biggest pussy for an NFL WR I have ever seen. The last pic in the steelers game was all him being a pussy. He pulled his hand down on a catchable ball in FEAR, of being hit.... he should be dropped from the team outright for that.

We certainly are going to have to agree to disagree on that.

Injuries speak for themselves. Good play-calling or lack thereof cannot always be deciferred because of an element called "lack of player execution."

Keenum is offline Registered User

I believe it's a mixture. Who is to say that if we were healthy, we would have won more games despite the play calling, or if the play calling was better we would have won more games despite our lack of health?
    You can't point to one single reason for our lack of success, it's a lot of pieces that have come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I believe it's a mixture. Who is to say that if we were healthy, we would have won more games despite the play calling, or if the play calling was better we would have won more games despite our lack of health?
    You can't point to one single reason for our lack of success, it's a lot of pieces that have come apart.
    No doubt it's a lot of pieces that have come apart, but like I've said before, injuries speak in and of themselves. Bad play-calling or perceived bad play-calling has an element of "lack of player execution", which in my opinion, lessens it's arguement.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    John Shaw is too Proud to admit that he should have keep martz..
    Martz forced the issue with the Rams FO plain and simple and left them no choice but to get rid of him. After the bizarre "I'll kill you" incident with Turley, the "throat slashing" voice mail, refusing to get rid of Marmie and then the wacky episode of trying to sneak plays into the booth while on sick leave, it was clear the relationship was poisoned.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Martz forced the issue with the Rams FO plain and simple and left them no choice but to get rid of him. After the bizarre "I'll kill you" incident with Turley, the "throat slashing" voice mail, refusing to get rid of Marmie and then the wacky episode of trying to sneak plays into the booth while on sick leave, it was clear the relationship was poisoned.
    You're right on Mike. I too couldn't disagree more with the intended message of this thread. I'm a fan of the Rams. I have been for longer than most that are in here, and I've had to endure watching a great franchise get nearly destroyed by a woman that had no business running this organization. ...but I stayed the course.

But I don't cry when they lose. As Mike said, it's just a game. Cry when you lose a dear friend or family member. Cry when your house burns to the ground. But don't cry because you football team lost for cryin' out loud. There are far more important things in this world than a lousy football game. (or team)

I don't ask that a coach not get fired because I feel it's my duty to defend the team. To the contrary, it's my duty as a Ram fan to criticize and say my team sucks when they do, and to ask that there be changes when changes are due. ...and right now, they suck. And changes are due. But I believe Linehan deserves another year to see what he can do with a healthy team. I do believe that a new OC is needed immediately, only because I don't want my HC calling the plays. Be it Martz OR Linehan.

And lastly, NO, I don't miss Mike Martz. Not one bit. Some fans (we know which ones) can't wait to see incidents such as the sideline incident last Thursday to call for Linehan's head because "he's obviously lost the team". How is it that those same people somehow remember Mike Martz as a coach all the players loved and respected. I don't remember any tears shed by the players when he was dismissed.

Short memories me thinks.

When players begin to threaten to kill Linehan, then maybe I'll listen. But when a player gets into it on the sidelines, I'll chalk it up to frustration and emotion. I've seen it a million times with more teams, coaches and players then I can remember. Hell, I've done it myself when I played. It's not a big deal. When your team is 3-12, it's frustrating, no matter what the reason. No coach has ever made ALL the right calls. And NO player has ever made ALL the catches. Remember that Torry, the next time you cough up the ball that costs us a chance to win.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I can appreciate your sentiments PM, but as already stated by a couple of others this only a football team playing a game. Yes, it is MY team and I root for them to win every game regardless of whether it might cost them a higher draft pick or not.

I shake my head in disgust at times over what is going on and when asked by strangers about my team (I wear a rams ball cap everywhere but Church) I just have shake my head and say, "injuries". It is easier than making excuses for coaching or front office decisions.

I don't cry at a loss, and I don't pray to God for a win. It is only a game and means little to nothing in the scheme of things and God doesn't care who wins a game only how one carries themselves in life, no matter where circumstances find them.

It seems to be becoming increasingly more obvious that Linehan may have been a poor choice but I am not sure many other coaches could have done much better with this year's Rams team.

Martz isn't doing all that wonderful in Detroit, albeit better than Linny in St Lou.

Hindsight is a marvelous thing.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

BM_Face is offline Registered User

A: You pay $10 a year to gain premium member status.

A: You get buried in a Rams coffin. (Ok, not yet available, but MLB has them so it is only a matter of time)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Firstly, I've never cried over a sports team. You take it far to seriously if you do.
    Are you for real? What about when you see a player down on the field with a neck injury who is fighting for his life? That doesn't touch you? My eyes also well up when I see a great sack, or a miracle one-hand-grab. I do not cry over defeats, but some plays are beautiful, and it is ok to cry sometimes over beauty.

Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall, there was this one: "Matters of great concern should be treated lightly." Master Ittei commented, "Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."--Hagakure

GoRams!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Excellent points, PM and BM! :bash:

Obviously, much depends on the type of person the Diehard Ram Fan is. His or her idiosyncrasy, character, and emotional / family / sports background, as well as the current age and circumstances in the individual's life. All these psychological factors are so closely related to the "true" fan. In my book there is no doubt about it. After all, different strokes, different folks ... and fans.

When I was 13, 15 years old, sure, I used to cry right after the real heartbreakers, when the Rams would lose a very close and important game. I remember how sad and hopeless I felt the day we lost, incredibly, to a much inferior Bears team in 1968, a must game two weeks before the season finale -- largely because of a very, very questionable penalty call from some official against the Rams offense. What a sad Sunday evening that was to me. Talk about an upset!

In 1969 ... I remember NFL MVP Roman Gabriel (a man almost 30 yrs. old) quietely weeping in the locker room when he felt the pain and the guilt of losing the playoff game at Vikings. And he was not the only player in such a state -- and I lalso know there were many badly heartbroken Rams fans everywhere, regardless of age.

I miss Coach Mike Madness Martz. I defend Coach Linehan (but I also admit my support for him is running thin fast).

...RAMS FOREVERMORE :r
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-23-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Typing

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I love the rams so much.. i guess to me it is more than football.. they are like another family to me and even if we never win another superbowl i will continue to support the rams.. more on the mike martz statement.. i realize after thinking long and hard i really just missed the big plays he often provided for us maybe next year linehan will show us why he is the headcoach... Go Rams... in 08