Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUbison's view of the Indy game

yea, yea, I know......it was just a pre-season game. But it's still a game, and what I saw coming out of it.

1. We're all healthy......everything else is just icing.

2. The difference between Marmie and Haslett is like brussel sprouts and chocolate cake.

3. Incognito looked like a manimal. He finished off every block like the DT just slapped his mom. Don't tell that kid it was "just a pre-season game".

4. We got some good lookin' rookies on the D side......Hill, Wroten, Adeyanju...all looked pretty sharp tonight.

5. Tonight Tony Fisher was better than advertised. Can he continue that during the year?

6. Who is most excited about the switch from zone blocking to man blocking? Steven Jackson!!!

7. Ragone better hope he steps it up in the next game, because Fitz out-played him tonight.

8. Where was this run D last year.....the last several years for that matter?

9. I think the early pressure masked our secondary. I'm just not convinced they're that good right now.

10. Who is Jamaal Brooks, and where has he been hiding. He stood out tonight.

11. I predict some clamoring to move Matthew Rice up the chart, but IMO his 2 sacks were more about going against a camp body OT than his own abilities.

12. It's nice having Ferrotte around. A solid #2 to say the least, but....

13. ....it's even better having Marc Bulger around.

14. On some level, I'm embarassed. The fans got what they wanted this offseason......tossed Martz, brought in Linehan, new attitude, new defense.....and how did St. Louis repay the Rams? By bringing in a crowd from the local library. That place was dead.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: HUbison's view of the Indy game

Tremendous outing from adenjayu against the run and the pass. wroten looked terrific against the backups. matt turk was great. groom was lousy. i like brandon green a lot.

Defense, looked good most of the game, but we got killed by manning on the first drive. hagans looked good returning. we gave up an onside kick and a 65 yard kickoff return. somethings havent changed at all yet!

I have never in my life seen more blitzing in week one of preseason than haslett called tonight.

I will take the win, but the critical point is that we didnt appear to have any injuries.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Aside from no injuries, the highlight for me was the solid tackling by the first and second units on defense. I had almost forgotten what it was like to see Ram defenders wrap up and make plays. I hope it translates to the regular season.

If Turk stays healthy, we just may have our punting problems under control.

Bruce looked as smooth as ever, but that's not a surprise to me.

I was a little disappointed with Hagans. He looked good on his kick return, but his punt returns were shaky at best. Hopefully he gets more comfortable in the next few games.

Adeyanju was the biggest surprise for me. He has the look of a real gamer.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Seeing the defence score was great. I really think this defence is gonna confuse alot of offensive coordinators. We will see many blitzes to get to the passer. One of my favorite plays is when they faked the LB blitz rushed 3 and got in there and caused a throw away that was almost a fumble. Manning walked right down the field sure but hey it was their first time on the field together they have kinks to work out. If the pressure is there the secondary will have alot easier Job. I am worried about them a little but hopefully they will gel.

Jackson looked great and I think as a whole the o-line did a good job. Bulger had some very good looks and one of his sacks was more a coverage sack. Bruce was amazing tonight he played exceptionally well I think he has a big year. I liked the look of Klopenstein big target good hands I think he will be a better player then any of us could have hoped for.

I am very optimistic after the first showing the vets seem to responding to Linehans offence and that is great. GO RAMS
    LET'S GO DODGERS

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Defense, looked good most of the game, but we got killed by manning on the first drive.
    I know it's only the first game but the first drive was the only time our 1st string D played their 1st string O and we looked pretty bad. So it's ok that the backups on D looked good, but the first team needs to step it up. It's still early so we shall see.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Yoda is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    14. On some level, I'm embarassed. The fans got what they wanted this offseason......tossed Martz, brought in Linehan, new attitude, new defense.....and how did St. Louis repay the Rams? By bringing in a crowd from the local library. That place was dead.
    Yeah, that was embarassing. It didn't look like there was any1 there, I saw a lot of red seats. But I understand, I can't blame the people for not wanting to pay $50 to see Torry Holt get 1 catch and see Peyton Manning play 1 series. With Dave Ragone playing much of the 2nd half. Jezzes, how in the hell do underthrow a screen pass?

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

We all know its just a preseason game, but hell now im fired up. I just loved the wars down in the trenches, both on defense & on offense. Incognito was lookin really good & Adenjayu has some very quick moves, sheds blocks & hits like a seasoned vet. Hope to see alot more of these two.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, the 1st Qtr. got away from me; I couldn't manage to see it live on FOX. :bored:

But in general, I liked what I saw even if they were the 2nd & 3rd string players. Regarding the home crowd, I hope this first game, its result, the effort from players and coaching thus far will begin a brush fire among fans to better support the St. Louis Rams!

DB Timothee will probably start packing soon after that long TD burn by the Colts.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sounds fun, I'll add my own observations...

1. Can't complain about coming out of that game with no significant injuries. Only one I know of is Hargrove's and it sounds minor.

2. First string defense tackled better but didn't put up much of a fight. Scheme/playcalling looks good, but guys were making some errors.

3. Running game was hitting on all cylinders. Jackson ran well when he had blocking, and the combo of Fisher/Williams looked solid.

4. Marc Bulger looked okay, typical pre-season for him. Some better interior protection would have been nice, I'm sure.

5. Frerotte looked sharp, crisp with his throws, but so did Chris Chandler in the pre-season. Hopefully we won't have to see him.

6. Run defense looked formidable. Kennedy wasn't getting pushed around, and got off a block against the first team to make an assist.

7. Punt coverage was great. Turk seemed to put the ball wherever he wanted it, and our guys were right there.

8. Kick coverage left a lot to be desired, but then again, it wouldn't be Rams football if that weren't the case.

9. Kick and punt returns for us were iffy. Hagans looked lost at times, and I don't recall him ever being used at WR.

10. Holt's one catch was a pretty good nab, showing why he's silently still one of the best in the league. Bruce looked as if he was ready to play as well.

11. Klopfenstein looks better than Byrd at this point. No excuse for Byrd to not make that easy catch, but that's his M.O.

12. Speaking of being ahead, I would grade Fitzpatrick as the leader in the #3 QB race. Throws looked good and he was thinking on his feet.

13. Ragone's interception was a pretty bad decision. Even if it was single coverage, it likely would have resulted in a pick.

14. Tye Hill certainly looked promising. He had a mistake here or there but didn't let it haunt him and showed flashes of why he was our first rounder.

15. Adeyanju looked beastly against their back-ups, and Brandon Green looked solid as well.

16. Matthew Rice should send the Rams a thank you card for allowing him to audition for the other 31 NFL teams, since it's unlikely we keep 5 DE's.

17. The crowd looked dead. You could hear them every now and then, but the empty seats were obvious and the announcers made no bones about pointing it out. Shame.

18. Our interior run game looks improved, whereas we're still inconsistent on the outside runs. Could do without the longer developing plays.

19. Wroten was getting nice penetration quite a few times tonight. Hopefully we see him in a lot of the pass formations if he keeps it up.

20. From what limited glances I saw of him, Paul Smith looked like he deserved the #1 fullback job. The only memory I have of Hedgecock was his drop.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I don't think you really have much to feel embarrassed about. I'm inclined to believe it is precisely because fans still think the place is haunted that it seemed so dead. Fans are probably still a little leery of the ghosts of the past lurking in the ED. They are not sure if it is fan friendly just yet.

And rightfully scared some may be. The ghosts of the KR team, kick coverage team, and the skeleton of McDonald still returning punts clearly were haunting the ED. The dead in the ED have not been properly consecrated yet.

Before some fans bring their kids to the ED, I suspect they are waiting to see if Haslett brought some Voodoo from NO to properly lay all the dead to rest. If he did, he didn't bring enough though. The SpecialED Team is still haunted by the the SpecialDead of the past.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'm excited about O-line run blocking (I'm gonna love seeing Incognito mauling defenders in the real season!) and rush defense (is it mainly because Indy lost Edge though? Maybe they're just that bad - tough to say).

Starting to agree with the people saying the preseason is too long and should have 2 games converted to real games, it just seems like a waste to have 4 preseason games when the actual games only last for 16 weeks - 20% of the games are preseason? Too much. Players would be evaluated more in camp as opposed to in preseason with only 2 games, I readily admit that would make proper evaluation harder - but at the same time I think it could be worth it in terms of less injuries and more meaningful play.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

So, living here in the UK, and no pre-season coverage at all!, just what i read off the stats and reports,
    On the whole, Linehan's first gam etc etc, Rice's 3 sacks, Hargroves safety, how did SJ play? and how was the OL looking? also is there any valid reason why Curtis did'nt get a catch? just unlucky or was it planned to rest him?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams showed their depth in this game. The 2nd and 3rd stringers did allright. Although Shaun King is not a household name he is an NFL QB with plenty of experience and the D held him in check pretty much. I really liked the new attitude on defense. Jim Haslett was shown quite a bit but no snarl, little disappointed about that.

Adam Vinatieri according to the Patriots is on the other side of the hill sliding down. Yeah right, booms a kick off into the endzone, kicks a 53 yard field goal,
    Maybe Bill Belchick is sliding down that hill.

Sorry had to get that off my chest, living in Patriot nation.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't remember any false starts ?? The O-line looked good but the Colts were missing a bunch of starting defensive players.

Overall the team looked very organized and aggressive, got to love it !

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by GC
    Defense, looked good most of the game, but we got killed by manning on the first drive.
    True, but I think the whole drive boiled down to 2 mistakes:

1. confusion in zone coverage between F. Brown (covered the intermediate) and Atogwe (didn't get over the top) on the Wayne corner route that put the ball on the 10.

2. Chillar allowing Clark to run free off the line on the TD pass

Other than that, the 1st D looked allright.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Kick and punt returns for us were iffy. Hagans looked lost at times
    Oh I don't know......I thought the return game looked okay. Curtis had a KR for 27, Hagans had 2 KRs for 26 and 21; and 2 PRs for 11 and 10. Yea, he made one fair catch look a little more interesting than he should, but overall I felt pretty good about the return game.

I liked the punt coverage as well. Turk looked better than I gave him credit for, and the tackling looked solid. KR coverage on the other hand......
    Last edited by Nick; -08-11-2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ram3057 is offline Registered User

If I'm not mistaken, I don't remember any false starts ??
    For the first preseason game, it was remarkably free of penalties.

:ramlogo:
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast