Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

HUb's 1st Mock Draft.........well, what the flip else are we gonna talk about?

The Draft starts with a trade to Dallas of our first pick for their two 1st's, & their 3rd. Will they do it? WHAT DO I CARE?!?!? IT'S OCTOBER AND I'M DEPRESSED ENOUGH TO DO A MOCK!!!

So, with that in place......

1st (#8) - Chris Long, DE, Virginia - High character, high motor, physical mix of run stopping and pass rushing. Physically somewhere between Carriker and Wistrom and an unmatched pedigree. Leader on and off the field.

1st (#29) - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas - Stopwatches won't melt around this guy, but great route runner, solid hands, and excellent size (6'5", 220). The wrist injury is an obvious concern

2nd (#33) - Tony Hills, OT, Texas - Quality tackle in a program with good line history. Could be up and running quickly should Pace go down again, or Barron continue to crumble

3rd (#65) - Jon Goff, ILB, Vandy - Not the monster sized MIKE that fans are screaming for, but he's a playmaker, who outplays his size (6'1", 240)

3rd (#92) - Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona - Big, physical safety with better ball-hawking skills than to be expected from a 230 lb. DB

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: HUb's 1st Mock Draft.........well, what the flip else are we gonna talk about?

Wow! Me likey this draft. :-)

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: HUb's 1st Mock Draft.........well, what the flip else are we gonna talk about?

Hahahahha, love the subject line.

For THe draft, alhough I see those positions as needs. I think we have been hit in the face by our volitile lack of depth at OL... I think that HAS to be addresses in Rd 1.

Not sure we need to address o line in round 1 but we sure as heck need to hit it hard in rounds 3 and 4, maybe even round 2

STL Football Fan is offline Registered User

Whatever they do I just hope they can make up their minds fairly quick because the NFL just shortened the first round to 10 minutes per team, and 7 minutes for the second round. The first day will also be only two rounds now instead of the usual three.

This should get teams hopping on draft day.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

If Scott is still the coach the Rams will probably draft a TE with the first pick and then trade the second for some has been on either the Vikes or Fins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think chris long will be around at #8, but i would certainly like to have him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ps cowboys will select mcfaddin with our pick

keith m. klink Guest

NO FRICKEN WAY BISON , i was just going over some of the college players , and i loved CHRIS LONG in the first round , he is exactly what this team needs , this would be the foundation of a supperior d-line that i said we needed a few day's ago in the mold of a YOUNGBLOOD - DRYER - OLSEN, kind of line . i would love this kid , put him in there with CARRKER - RYANS - WROTEN - ADEYANJU , and trade off LITTLE to the patriots or something and watch the fireworks . we could grab WR - OT - S , in the next few rounds and this would be something else . just in time for COWHER'S first draft .

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont think chris long will be around at #8, but i would certainly like to have him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ps cowboys will select mcfaddin with our pick
    Maybe so, in which case, we just skip the trade and take him with our original pick. Just as I started my Carriker campaign at this time last year, I believe I'm ready to open up the "Chris Long in '08" bandwagon.

ps I think you're right about the 'boys and McFadden. Pretty much the only reason I'd see them making the trade.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Very nice work, HUb. Never too early for me to start talking about the draft, so I don't mind one bit.

Onto the picks...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    1st (#8) - Chris Long, DE, Virginia - High character, high motor, physical mix of run stopping and pass rushing. Physically somewhere between Carriker and Wistrom and an unmatched pedigree. Leader on and off the field.
    Works for me. I like what Long brings to the table in terms of being a well rounded end who can do it all - he's tough against the run but is still capable of getting to the passer. That kind of player may be a better fit on this line than a more one-dimensional speed rusher in the mold of a Leonard Little.

1st (#29) - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas - Stopwatches won't melt around this guy, but great route runner, solid hands, and excellent size (6'5", 220). The wrist injury is an obvious concern
    As you said, the wrist injury is a concern. It's all going to depend on how well he looks after surgery. I think other late first round receivers to consider include Adarius Bowman (Oklahoma State) and Harry Douglas (Louisville). I would say Andre Caldwell but Florida WRs in the pros make me nervous.

2nd (#33) - Tony Hills, OT, Texas - Quality tackle in a program with good line history. Could be up and running quickly should Pace go down again, or Barron continue to crumble
    Hills is a former tight end, which means he has the agility you want at the blindside tackle position. He also has the long arms teams crave as well. But he's not as consistent as you'd like a senior starter to be, and I've read complaints about his quickness off the snap. That said, I think he's a solid choice for a second round OT. I also like Chris Williams (Vanderbilt) as a second round possibility.

Goff and Barrett are intriguing picks, though the latter's history of injuries worries me somewhat.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Maybe so, in which case, we just skip the trade and take him with our original pick. Just as I started my Carriker campaign at this time last year, I believe I'm ready to open up the "Chris Long in '08" bandwagon.

ps I think you're right about the 'boys and McFadden. Pretty much the only reason I'd see them making the trade.
    No no no no no! You don't credit for this one. I've been campaigning for Long pretty much ever since I joined the Clan. Back when the rumors of Carriker training with Howie came out I was the one to identify Chris being a senior at UVA and that I hoped we teamed them together in this next draft.

That said, CHRIS LONG IN '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Well, O.K., I will admit I don't know much about Howie's kid. Could somebody post some of his measurements or etc.? Also, does he project as a 4-3 or a 3-4 type DE or possibly both? Thanx for the info.

WHAT SAY YE?

Chris Long
    # 91
    DE (UVA plays a 3-4, though I'm not sure if it's a one gap or two gap system)
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 284

OF NOTE
    • Named to the Lott Trophy’s preseason watch list
    • Named to the Playboy 2007 preseason All-American team
    • Candidate for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Outland Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award and Ted Hendricks Award

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
    • Started the last 24 games for Virginia
    • Serving as a captain for the second straight season
    • Second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference in 2006
    • Led UVa in 2006 with 12 tackles for loss and 21 quarterback pressures

ADDITIONAL UVa NOTES
    2006–
    Had a tremendous campaign ... team captain ... fourth on the team with 57 tackles despite being double-teamed on virtually every play ... finished fourth among ACC defensive linemen with 4.8 tackles per game ... finished the year with four sacks ... helped UVa finish 17th in overall defense, allowing just 289.5 yards per game, the lowest by a Cavalier defense since 1979 ... had season-high three TFL at East Carolina ... had 10 tackles vs. Western Michigan and nine vs. East Carolina ... received three awards at the team’s annual awards banquet—Ned McDonald Award as UVa’s top defensive player, the Colonel F.C. McCue Award as team’s outstanding interior lineman and the Joe Palumbo Award honoring UVa player for self-sacrifice, dedication and enthusiasm ... first-team all-state by the Virginia Sports Information Directors and the Roanoke Times ... finalist for the Dudley Award, presented to top player in the state of Virginia ... lettered for the third time. 2005–Had a very productive season in his first year as a starter ... started every game ... got better by being matched up against All-American D’Brickashaw Ferguson during training camp and practice ... second among the team’s defensive linemen in tackling with an average of 3.8 tpg ... made 10 tackles for loss, nearly a quarter of his tackles ... had at least four tackles on six occasions ... 26 quarterback hurries were by far the most on the team ... shared the team lead with Marcus Hamilton with seven pass break ups ... made seven tackles in his first start against Western Michigan with three coming in the backfield ... no UVa defensive lineman has had more than seven tackles in his first start since 1987 ... three tackles, a pass break up and five pressures vs. Syracuse ... four tackles, including two for loss, against Duke ... six tackles, two for loss and a sack, against North Carolina ... his only tackle in the win over Temple was a sack ... had an outstanding game in a big win over Georgia Tech ... finished with three tackles and made life difficult for quarterback Reggie Ball with 10 quarterback pressures ... five tackles against Virginia Tech ... was dominating, particularly in the second half, in the Music City Bowl win over Minnesota ... made a career-high nine tackles, including one in the backfield ... lettered. 2004—Promising lineman who provided valuable depth along the defensive line ... played in six games overall ... saw limited action in the first three games before missing five games in the middle of the season due to illness ... saw action in the nickel package upon his return in November ... five tackles, but two were for loss ... had one sack ... made his first career tackle in the North Carolina game ... had another the next week vs. Akron before being sidelined for five games ... recorded his first tackle for loss in his return game against Miami ... made two tackles, including his first sack, in a road win over Georgia Tech ... lettered.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL
    Star on both the offensive and defensive lines at state champion St. Anne’s-Belfield School, where he was coached by John Blake ... had his jersey retired ... SuperPrep All-American ... PrepStar All-American ... No. 74 on Tom Lemming’s list of the top recruits in the nation ... 4-star player by Rivals.com and 3-stars by TheInsiders.com ... No. 6 Strongside Defensive End in the nation according to Rivals.com ... ranked as No. 8 defensive end by Tom Lemming and No. 11 by Collegefootballnews.com ... the No. 20 defensive tackle by TheInsiders.com ... No. 26 on SuperPrep’s list of the top defensive linemen in the country ... No. 19 player on TheInsiders.com’s Atlantic Hot 100 list and 24th on the Atlantic East Amazing 80 by Rivals.com ... honorable mention All-South by the Orlando Sentinel ... 2003 Gatorade Player of the Year in Virginia ... rated as the second-best player in Virginia by the Charlottesville Daily Progress “Gold List,” No. 3 by the Roanoke Times and No. 4 by SuperPrep and Rivals.com ... three-time first-team all-state selection on both offense and defense ... Central Virginia Defensive Player of the Year by the Daily Progress as a senior ... three-time first-team All-Central Virginia defensive lineman by the Charlottesville Daily Progress ... earned first-team All-Central Virginia honors his senior season as an offensive lineman as well ... conference Defensive Player of the Year his final two seasons ... was in on 91 tackles, including 44 solo tackles, as a senior to help lead his team to an undefeated season and the state championship ... had 23 tackles for loss and 15 sacks that season ... recorded 72 pancake blocks on offense ... Student Sports Junior All-American in 2002 ... had 85 tackles as a junior with 12 sacks and more than 20 tackles for loss ... three-time first-team All-Conference ... finished his career with 43 sacks and 66 tackles for loss ... also played basketball, lacrosse, and baseball during his high school career ... won the 2003 YMCA Slam Dunk Contest for high school students ... full name is Christopher Howard Long ... born 3-28-85 in Santa Monica, Calif. ... son of Diane and Howie Long ... has two younger brothers, Kyle and Howie ... father was an All-American defensive end at Villanova and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1981 ... he played in the NFL for 13 seasons and was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame following seven Pro Bowl appearances, two defensive player of the year awards, and a Super Bowl ring ... sociology major.

Career Highs
    Tackles: 10 vs. Western Michigan, 2006
    Tackles for Loss: 3 vs. Western Mich., 2005; vs. East Carolina, 2006
    Sacks: 1 on seven occasions

Through his Junior year he had 24 tackles for loss and 7 sacks. Just this past week he got a sack for a safety.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Chris Long
    # 91
    DE (UVA plays a 3-4, though I'm not sure if it's a one gap or two gap system)
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 284

OF NOTE
    • Named to the Lott Trophy’s preseason watch list
    • Named to the Playboy 2007 preseason All-American team
    • Candidate for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Outland Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award and Ted Hendricks Award

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
    • Started the last 24 games for Virginia
    • Serving as a captain for the second straight season
    • Second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference in 2006
    • Led UVa in 2006 with 12 tackles for loss and 21 quarterback pressures

ADDITIONAL UVa NOTES
    2006–
    Had a tremendous campaign ... team captain ... fourth on the team with 57 tackles despite being double-teamed on virtually every play ... finished fourth among ACC defensive linemen with 4.8 tackles per game ... finished the year with four sacks ... helped UVa finish 17th in overall defense, allowing just 289.5 yards per game, the lowest by a Cavalier defense since 1979 ... had season-high three TFL at East Carolina ... had 10 tackles vs. Western Michigan and nine vs. East Carolina ... received three awards at the team’s annual awards banquet—Ned McDonald Award as UVa’s top defensive player, the Colonel F.C. McCue Award as team’s outstanding interior lineman and the Joe Palumbo Award honoring UVa player for self-sacrifice, dedication and enthusiasm ... first-team all-state by the Virginia Sports Information Directors and the Roanoke Times ... finalist for the Dudley Award, presented to top player in the state of Virginia ... lettered for the third time. 2005–Had a very productive season in his first year as a starter ... started every game ... got better by being matched up against All-American D’Brickashaw Ferguson during training camp and practice ... second among the team’s defensive linemen in tackling with an average of 3.8 tpg ... made 10 tackles for loss, nearly a quarter of his tackles ... had at least four tackles on six occasions ... 26 quarterback hurries were by far the most on the team ... shared the team lead with Marcus Hamilton with seven pass break ups ... made seven tackles in his first start against Western Michigan with three coming in the backfield ... no UVa defensive lineman has had more than seven tackles in his first start since 1987 ... three tackles, a pass break up and five pressures vs. Syracuse ... four tackles, including two for loss, against Duke ... six tackles, two for loss and a sack, against North Carolina ... his only tackle in the win over Temple was a sack ... had an outstanding game in a big win over Georgia Tech ... finished with three tackles and made life difficult for quarterback Reggie Ball with 10 quarterback pressures ... five tackles against Virginia Tech ... was dominating, particularly in the second half, in the Music City Bowl win over Minnesota ... made a career-high nine tackles, including one in the backfield ... lettered. 2004—Promising lineman who provided valuable depth along the defensive line ... played in six games overall ... saw limited action in the first three games before missing five games in the middle of the season due to illness ... saw action in the nickel package upon his return in November ... five tackles, but two were for loss ... had one sack ... made his first career tackle in the North Carolina game ... had another the next week vs. Akron before being sidelined for five games ... recorded his first tackle for loss in his return game against Miami ... made two tackles, including his first sack, in a road win over Georgia Tech ... lettered.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL
    Star on both the offensive and defensive lines at state champion St. Anne’s-Belfield School, where he was coached by John Blake ... had his jersey retired ... SuperPrep All-American ... PrepStar All-American ... No. 74 on Tom Lemming’s list of the top recruits in the nation ... 4-star player by Rivals.com and 3-stars by TheInsiders.com ... No. 6 Strongside Defensive End in the nation according to Rivals.com ... ranked as No. 8 defensive end by Tom Lemming and No. 11 by Collegefootballnews.com ... the No. 20 defensive tackle by TheInsiders.com ... No. 26 on SuperPrep’s list of the top defensive linemen in the country ... No. 19 player on TheInsiders.com’s Atlantic Hot 100 list and 24th on the Atlantic East Amazing 80 by Rivals.com ... honorable mention All-South by the Orlando Sentinel ... 2003 Gatorade Player of the Year in Virginia ... rated as the second-best player in Virginia by the Charlottesville Daily Progress “Gold List,” No. 3 by the Roanoke Times and No. 4 by SuperPrep and Rivals.com ... three-time first-team all-state selection on both offense and defense ... Central Virginia Defensive Player of the Year by the Daily Progress as a senior ... three-time first-team All-Central Virginia defensive lineman by the Charlottesville Daily Progress ... earned first-team All-Central Virginia honors his senior season as an offensive lineman as well ... conference Defensive Player of the Year his final two seasons ... was in on 91 tackles, including 44 solo tackles, as a senior to help lead his team to an undefeated season and the state championship ... had 23 tackles for loss and 15 sacks that season ... recorded 72 pancake blocks on offense ... Student Sports Junior All-American in 2002 ... had 85 tackles as a junior with 12 sacks and more than 20 tackles for loss ... three-time first-team All-Conference ... finished his career with 43 sacks and 66 tackles for loss ... also played basketball, lacrosse, and baseball during his high school career ... won the 2003 YMCA Slam Dunk Contest for high school students ... full name is Christopher Howard Long ... born 3-28-85 in Santa Monica, Calif. ... son of Diane and Howie Long ... has two younger brothers, Kyle and Howie ... father was an All-American defensive end at Villanova and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in 1981 ... he played in the NFL for 13 seasons and was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame following seven Pro Bowl appearances, two defensive player of the year awards, and a Super Bowl ring ... sociology major.

Career Highs
    Tackles: 10 vs. Western Michigan, 2006
    Tackles for Loss: 3 vs. Western Mich., 2005; vs. East Carolina, 2006
    Sacks: 1 on seven occasions

Through his Junior year he had 24 tackles for loss and 7 sacks. Just this past week he got a sack for a safety.
    Wow, ask and ye shall receive! Thanks TekeRam. This guy looks like a heck of a prospect. And I like his character qualities that are readily apparent in his bio. I just wonder if he'll be rated as a top 3 pick as that's where we're gonna be pickin'.

WHAT SAY YE?

Copied from my post last night about none other than Chris Long:

Son Emerges From Long Shadow
    By Adam Kilgore
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, October 19, 2007; E01

CHARLOTTESVILLE
    Chris Long is running alone under the floodlights at the Virginia football team's practice field. The rest of his teammates have walked off the field and into the locker room, content to be done with their first practice of the preseason. Stripped down to a pair of gray spandex shorts and soaked in sweat, with blades of grass sticking to his body in the thick summer air, Long sprints up and down the field.
    He's running because in a few weeks, he'll play a mile above sea level for the first time at Wyoming, and as a third-year starter and the current face of the team, he needs to be ready. He's running because he finds out what everyone else does, and then he does more. He's running because of the tattoo on his back that's almost too small to see: small, green letters that spell "PRIDE."
    He's running because he has discovered that upholding his own reputation is even more difficult than escaping family comparisons. He is no longer Howie's kid, son of a Hall of Famer; he is one of the best college football players in the country, a lock to be one of the first 10 players picked in the NFL draft.
    Mostly, though, Chris Long is running for the same reason his father did years ago. He is afraid.
    "Fear of failure," Long said. "I have the same fears that he does. That's the eerie part. We both are petrified of coming out and getting embarrassed. You've got to take pride in what you do. People are counting on you -- teammates are counting on you, fans are counting on you. If you go 100 miles an hour, at least at the end of the day, you worked yourself silly out there. That's all you can do."
    Famous Father
    It's almost midnight this past Monday, and Long is at CVS with Clint Sintim, his roommate and an outside linebacker. They need a new alarm clock for their house, but Sintim plans to get more out of the trip.
    "This is Chris Long!" Sintim shouts, running behind an aisle to hide. He won't let up. "Number 91! Howie Long's son! Son of a Hall of Famer!"
    Long can be brutal when he needles his friends, always needing to get in the last joke. This is their recourse. Aaron Grossman, Long's one roommate who does not play football, walks up to strangers and says, "Do you know this is Howie Long's son?"
    Long blushes, like he always does, but he laughs, too. He tells them to cut it out, but doesn't seem to mean it.
    "We wouldn't do it any other way," Grossman said. "He's not 'Howie Long's Son' anymore. He's Chris Long. The joke is just a joke."
    Growing up, Long was oblivious to his father's fame. He rarely even watched him play. As he reached high school, though, the idea of following his father began to weigh on him. It made him not want to play football at all.
    "That's a heck of a thing to compete with," Long said. "I kind of resented it."
    Genetics made the comparisons unavoidable. Howie and Chris were each born with six fingers on one hand. They share that granite jaw line. The first time John Blake, Long's coach at Charlottesville's St. Anne's-Belfield School, watched Long crouch into a stance, he blurted: "Oh, my God. That's his dad."
    Long was afraid when his name landed atop recruiting charts. Was he getting credit only because of who his dad was? After his basketball games, Chris retreated to the basement at St. Anne's-Belfield. Still wearing his uniform, he would do power clean lifts. He'd call Blake and ask to run on the practice field. He worked harder than anyone Blake had ever coached. Yet he still struggled with his father's legacy.
    Long had several long talks with Blake, wrestling with his father's impact on his career. "Your dad is never going to play another down of football," Blake told him. More and more, Long realized Howie had nothing to do with his results on the field.
    "After a while, it's not a competition," Long said. "It's not a shadow I need to move out of or anything like that. Once I found out this is what I'm passionate about, this is what I'm good at, I just welcomed that with open arms. It's a help."
    Howie had never pushed football on his boys. Chris's younger brother, Kyle, could have played football but instead chose to play baseball at Florida State. Howie Jr. is heading toward lacrosse.
    Chris happened to choose football. "If you're going to play," Howie told him, "play the game the right way."
    Howie, who lives five minutes from Charlottesville, does his best to blend in. He has been to a handful of practices, but only the open ones that fans and reporters can attend. "I'm just like every other parent," he said. He stands quietly off to the side, trying to not be noticed, his trademark flattop notwithstanding.
    "I'm not coaching Chris," Howie said. "That's important for people to know. Chris is singularly responsible for his success."
    Still, they speak at least once a day. Football, naturally, comes up: "It's not like plumbing is the family business," Howie said.
    Dominating
    The fear hasn't melted away yet. Midway through last season, Long became frustrated with his performance and went to his parents' house with a load of game tapes. Watching with his son, Howie noticed Chris trying new moves, not just using his quickness or hand-to-hand techniques. Howie told Chris to forget about the experiments and stick with what he does best: "Do you," he said.
    It was a turning point for Long that has carried over to this season. Long's greatness is both obvious and subtle. At 6 feet 4, 280 pounds, he chases ballcarriers like a maniac, like someone who is afraid.
    But a defensive end in the 3-4 alignment favored by Al Groh is designed to be anonymous. Long is responsible for plugging two gaps every play, not just charging upfield like typical ends. Asked how often he sees Long do something amazing that a fan would not notice, Groh responded, "Every play."
    Defensive ends in the 3-4 shouldn't pile up gaudy stats. But Long has 40 tackles, second on the team, and eight sacks, fifth in the nation. "That's unreal," Sintim said.
    "I've only had the pleasure to coach one other player who was as dominant in his level of competition as Chris is: 56" Groh said. He meant Lawrence Taylor.
    Long's performance has made his father's shadow vanish. When Grossman was a freshman living down the hall from Long, other students asked him, "Does Howie ever come by the dorms?" This year, when Grossman's living arrangements come up, no one mentions Howie. Instead, he's grilled with, "Oh my God, you live with Chris Long?"
    "I feel more pressure," Long said. "Now I have my own name that I have to uphold every day when I play. Now, people look at you for who you are. That's a blessing, but also, you have to be cognizant of the fact that things change. You have to watch out for your own name."
    The Nerd
    Attending college so close to home allows for some perks -- laundry day, for instance. On Wednesday night, Kyle Long, the middle brother, came to Chris's house with a basket of sheets their mother had washed.
    Long looks after his brothers fiercely. When Kyle was choosing a college and a sport, Long told him, "Do what you love." When Kyle needs help on an essay in high school, he asks Chris.
    "He's a better writer than he is a football player," Kyle said.
    As chaotic as Chris is on the field, he's calm off it. He likes to go camping or tubing on a lake. He discusses music almost every night with Grossman. He has the messiest room in the house. He's a Discovery Channel devotee.
    "He's a nerd," Kyle said. "It'll be Saturday night. 'You going out, Chris?' He'll say, 'Nah, I'm watching "Planet Earth," man.' He sits there by himself watching polar bears."
    Said Grossman: "If it wasn't for his stature, he could fit in anywhere. He's smart and witty, and if it wasn't for football, he would a great student here."
    Of course, he's not like everyone else. Even when he relaxes, football never leaves his mind. During spring break, he thinks about spring practice. In the summertime, camp is around the corner.
    "He's afraid he's going to get beat by somebody," Kyle said.
    On Saturday, Long and the Cavaliers will play Maryland on national television, perhaps the most important game of their season. During the telecast, ESPN2 will likely show clips of Howie.
    Howie hates that. Chris doesn't mind so much. But the fear is still there. And it's not going away.
    "It increases," Long said. "The higher the stakes, the more you feel pressure to perform. That's not a bad thing. For somebody to say they don't feel pressure, fine. That's just not me. I feel pressure. And I thrive on it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast