HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

HUb's pre-camp "Who the Flip?" award

Every year, training camp offers up some rookie or young player that gets a lot of attention; which beckons the reply from the fans....."Who the flip is that guy". The euphemism is your choice......I like "flip".

I'm going to go with two guys:

Josh Thompson, DT, Auburn - He's a fireplug. He won't get in the backfield, but he can stop the interior run. His lack of height hurts him, but he may find a home as an NT option behind Ryan, and IMO, could be a better option as a 3-4 NT.

Russ Weil, FB, Illinois - The only true blocking FB on the roster since Madison Hedgecock (hey, what ever happened to that guy?). Rashad Mendenhall (over 1,600 yards last year) called Weil his "personal protector". Quiet, hard-hat, lunch pail, blue collar blocker that has one goal and that is to clear the road for the ball carrier behind him.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: HUb's pre-camp "Who the Flip?" award

I agree, who the flip are those guys? Thanks for the info on them in case I hear about them at some point.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Russ Weil, FB, Illinois - The only true blocking FB on the roster since Madison Hedgecock
    Au contraire my dear Hub. I believe (No, I fervently HOPE!) that Dan Kreider is somewhere on the pre season roster. And most definitely he is a true blocking fullback.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Au contraire my dear Hub. I believe (No, I fervently HOPE!) that Dan Kreider is somewhere on the pre season roster. And most definitely he is a true blocking fullback.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't see Kreider anywhere on the camp roster.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Russ Weil, FB, Illinois - The only true blocking FB on the roster since Madison Hedgecock (hey, what ever happened to that guy?). Rashad Mendenhall (over 1,600 yards last year) called Weil his "personal protector". Quiet, hard-hat, lunch pail, blue collar blocker that has one goal and that is to clear the road for the ball carrier behind him.
    Sounds good, never heard of him, but we sure could use that type of player. We need someone to fill that role. It must be possible to pick up some tenacious guy with the right build who's up for running straight into people, he doesn't need all the technique in the world or a lot of athletic qualities, most of all just a body that can take it and the right attitude. Now that I think about it that job description doesn't sound all that great, but I'm sure the pay is quite competitive with other blue collar jobs

Quinton Culberson was my "who the flip" guy last year, there was quite some buzz around him from the coaches and writers and I'd never heard of him before, turns out maybe they were right this time (we'll find out this year).

Who's my "who the flip" guy this year? I don't know yet. Easier to say when camp gets under way and we start hearing about who stands out and who doesn't.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't see Kreider anywhere on the camp roster.
    Probably because the front office has been leaving a lot of business for the last possible moment. Krieder is definitely on board for camp as of, i think, today. The question is whether he's healthy enuf for the job.

Thanks for the info on Weil. And on the off chance the previous post wasn't joking about where Hedgecock went, might i suggest you look up 2008 super bowl ring owners

TekeRam is offline Registered User

All I can say is, between Weil and Krieder, I hope that this means that Richard "FOSL" Owens will not be making the roster this year.

Worst. FB. ever.

Fitz27 is offline Registered User

FYI... search Russ Weil on youtube and you can see that he has more to offer than just clobbering linebackers. There is footage of him against Wisconsin and in High School. He looks pretty agile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz27 View Post
    FYI... search Russ Weil on youtube and you can see that he has more to offer than just clobbering linebackers. There is footage of him against Wisconsin and in High School. He looks pretty agile.
    I don't disagree..........but at this point I'll settle for LB clobbering. Been a while since we've had someone to do that.