RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hurricane back home diverting Rams running back Faulk's attention

R.B. Fallstrom

August 31, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) - If Marshall Faulk blows an assignment in Friday night's pre-season game, there's a good reason. The St. Louis Rams' running back grew up in New Orleans, and believes several of his relatives may be marooned there by Hurricane Katrina.

"I find myself going between the game plan and what's going on down in New Orleans while sitting in meetings," Faulk said Wednesday. "I'll see what kind of challenge it's going to be. I've never had a distraction like that."

Coach Mike Martz isn't sure whether Faulk will play against the Chiefs in the annual Governor's Cup game. He had planned to rest most of his front-liners anyway, especially because the team will be playing its second game in four days after beating the Lions on Monday.

"He was up all night and he was late coming in this morning," Martz said. "There's no communication, they're worried sick, so it's a very difficult time for Marshall right now."

These days, Faulk finds himself glued to news channels as much as game tape for updates from the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina. His hometown, now largely underwater, is unrecognizable.

"I couldn't tell what part was which and I'm growing up down there and it's not a big city, so I'm pretty familiar with it all," Faulk said. "With all the water you just couldn't tell parts apart."

Given the chaos he sympathizes with looters, saying they're just doing what's necessary.

"Everything is out and people are going into survivor mode," Faulk said. "They're calling it looting and I'm saying it's survival. What's a store with food in it if you don't have food? What's a store with fresh water if you don't have water?

"What do you do? What are you supposed to do?"

Faulk's mother got out of town in time, although it took some persuasion. She's safe in Texas after leaving with one of Faulk's five brothers.

"Probably just missed it," he said. "My mom's one of those people that believes in riding it out. I talked to her Sunday and she was adamant about staying, but she decided to go.

"I finally talked to her yesterday afternoon and I've never heard my mom cry or never heard her upset about anything pertaining to something of a house or her friends or her family. She was very upset, very upset, and just heartbroken and devastated about the whole ordeal."

Faulk's not so sure about other family members.

"One of my brothers is fine, I just haven't heard from my other brothers and the rest of my family," he said. "My aunts, uncles, cousins - haven't heard from anyone. Everyone down there, you worry about them."

Faulk said everyone should have had plenty of time to evacuate the city. Then again, he remembers such warnings being a way of life, and so he can understand why anyone would have decided to ride out the storm.

He related that to Midwesterners reacting with yawns to tornado warnings.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Hurricane back home diverting Rams running back Faulk's attention

Ya he was on ESPNEWS today. It was a pretty good 1 min interview
    RamsFan16

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Come on Martz, give Marshall some time off. We don't need him for this game. Family concerns like this are more important than a preseason game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    Come on Martz, give Marshall some time off. We don't need him for this game. Family concerns like this are more important than a preseason game.
    Agreed completley!
    RamsFan16

general counsel is offline Registered User

Our thoughts and prayers are with marshall and his family,

ramming speed to all

general counsel