Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    keith m. klink Guest

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Wouldn't it be DDRRRRREEWWWWWWWW


  2. #17
    thoey's Avatar
    thoey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,017
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Actually, the cussing is not needed. If anything it just detracts from your point showing that you are letting emotion get the most of you.

    But, to your point. I think the issue people have with Bennett is multi-fold. He was paid a lot of money to produce and then did not. Now, part of that may have been due to his injury and another part due to the injuries of the O-Line and our QB's throwing from their back.

    I also think that due to the amount of money paid to Bennett, some people think we could not afford to pay Bruce what he wanted to stay. Whether that is true or not, I can not say. Maybe we paid Bennett less and still did not offer any more to Bruce as they offered him what the FO thought he was worth. It may not have changed anything even if we never picked up Bennett.

    I gave up trying to think like the FO. Hurt my head.
    This space for rent...

  3. #18
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    I know some are frightened by numbers. And who wouldn't be?.......melodrama, hyperbole, and bathos are so much easier. But I will take the risk yet again.

    In the pass first offenses of Martz & Linehan....Bruce --- 55 rec., 785 yards, 3 TDs
    In Norm Chow's run first offense....Bennett --- 52 rec., 738 yards, 3.5 TDs

    Salary to be a Ram (as reported) - Bruce, $4 Mil
    Salary as a Ram - Bennett, $2.5 Mil (cap $3.75)

    Bennett played the entire year hurt.....you can't hold that against a guy. If he doesn't give effort, he skips practices, he's a cancer.....hold it against him. But you can't hold injury against him. Nor can any of us turn back time, therefore all the "we never should have signed him" arguments are irrelevant. Play the cards you're dealt.

    And kudos to bruce4life for having the guts to face reality.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-27-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #19
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,859
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    But, to your point. I think the issue people have with Bennett is multi-fold. He was paid a lot of money to produce and then did not. Now, part of that may have been due to his injury and another part due to the injuries of the O-Line and our QB's throwing from their back.

    I also think that due to the amount of money paid to Bennett, some people think we could not afford to pay Bruce what he wanted to stay. Whether that is true or not, I can not say. Maybe we paid Bennett less and still did not offer any more to Bruce as they offered him what the FO thought he was worth. It may not have changed anything even if we never picked up Bennett.
    First off, last year a lot of people were paid to produce and didn't. Not all of them were hurt. Not all of them were players. As for Bennett's case, just watch when a high profile receiver hurts his hammy in this upcoming year. The reporters will remind people that the injury usually lasts all year. That's what happened to Bennett. You can come back from the injury, but it hurts your explosiveness and speed all year long.

    As for how much he's costing, his cap charge is almost $2M under what Bruce would have cost had we kept him. He's just slightly above what the Whiners signed him for. He's much younger and will be a player on this team for years to come. It's important that he start earning the money we have given him by becoming a starter on this team. Everyone got so angry that we paid him so much to be our third receiver. No we paid him to eventually take over for Bruce. Now everyone's mad that he'll actually earn the paycheck that he gets. Bruce meant a lot more to the fans than he did to the franchise. He has been a great player for many many years but now he's declined. If you want to win, sometime you need to make sacrifices, and Bruce ended up becoming one, by his choice. Should we have kept asking him to restructure? Maybe not. But the fact remains, he wasn't going to be performing up to the level of his cap charge. Give Bennett the chance to do that.

  5. #20
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I know some are frightened by numbers. And who wouldn't be?.......melodrama, hyperbole, and bathos are so much easier. But I will take the risk yet again.

    In the pass first offenses of Martz & Linehan....Bruce --- 55 rec., 785 yards, 3 TDs
    In Norm Chow's run first offense....Bennett --- 52 rec., 738 yards, 3.5 TDs
    I will only address your stats because I have no issue with Bennett. I do however think the Rams paid a little too much for him, but that's not Bennett's fault. I agree, he was hurt so we don't know what we have. It's too early to judge him, especially with that offense we fielded last year.

    Just to play devil's advocate HUb, Bruce had to share balls with Holt, Jackson, Curtis to an extent, and a tiny bit with Faulk in 05. Bennett on the other hand was the #1 guy on a team of nobodies at WR. So even though Norm "runs first," you would think that Bennett would have better numbers and yet they are comparable. Just throwing that out there and seeing what sticks.

  6. #21
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by rambruce
    So even though Norm "runs first," you would think that Bennett would have better numbers and yet they are comparable.
    First off, thanks for playing the game. This is what makes the offseason fun. Now, on with the discussion.....

    Why would we have to assume Bennett's numbers would be better? Using 2006 (Bennett's last in Nashville) as a point of reference.....Chow passed the ball 49.7% of the time with a QB that only completed 50.6% of their passes. In that offense, Bennett hauled in 20.4% of the team's passes. He got his share, but there just weren't alot of passes to be shared.

    On the other hand, Linehan put the ball up on 58.3% of plays with a QB that completed 62.7% of his passes. And in that pass happy offense, Bruce got 20.0% of completions.

    My point is two fold. One, Bennett didn't have an offense geared to his production as Bruce did. And two, even with all those other weapons, Bruce had the same percentage as Bennett. The Titans actually shared the ball (on percentage basis) more than the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #22
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    First off, thanks for playing the game. This is what makes the offseason fun. Now, on with the discussion.....

    Why would we have to assume Bennett's numbers would be better? Using 2006 (Bennett's last in Nashville) as a point of reference.....Chow passed the ball 49.7% of the time with a QB that only completed 50.6% of their passes. In that offense, Bennett hauled in 20.4% of the team's passes. He got his share, but there just weren't alot of passes to be shared.

    On the other hand, Linehan put the ball up on 58.3% of plays with a QB that completed 62.7% of his passes. And in that pass happy offense, Bruce got 20.0% of completions.

    My point is two fold. One, Bennett didn't have an offense geared to his production as Bruce did. And two, even with all those other weapons, Bruce had the same percentage as Bennett. The Titans actually shared the ball (on percentage basis) more than the Rams.
    OMG...I'm sorry buddy but man....how do you know this stuff or is Google your best friend?


  8. #23
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    OMG...I'm sorry buddy but man....how do you know this stuff or is Google your best friend?

    Google (and a calculator) should be EVERY football fan's best friend.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  9. #24
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Love the optimism....but the only way Bennett outperforms Bruce is if Bruce is retired.
    Time will tell.

    I won't be a bit surprised if Bennett has better numbers than Bruce in the upcoming season.

  10. #25
    rams4life88's Avatar
    rams4life88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    First off, thanks for playing the game. This is what makes the offseason fun. Now, on with the discussion.....

    Why would we have to assume Bennett's numbers would be better? Using 2006 (Bennett's last in Nashville) as a point of reference.....Chow passed the ball 49.7% of the time with a QB that only completed 50.6% of their passes. In that offense, Bennett hauled in 20.4% of the team's passes. He got his share, but there just weren't alot of passes to be shared.

    On the other hand, Linehan put the ball up on 58.3% of plays with a QB that completed 62.7% of his passes. And in that pass happy offense, Bruce got 20.0% of completions.

    My point is two fold. One, Bennett didn't have an offense geared to his production as Bruce did. And two, even with all those other weapons, Bruce had the same percentage as Bennett. The Titans actually shared the ball (on percentage basis) more than the Rams.
    I agree with you. Not only that but wouldn't it be harder to have better numbers if your are the main focal point of your passing attack? (Double Coverages etc.) I mean honestly, who did the Titan's have BACK then?

  11. #26
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    First off, thanks for playing the game. This is what makes the offseason fun. Now, on with the discussion.....

    Why would we have to assume Bennett's numbers would be better? Using 2006 (Bennett's last in Nashville) as a point of reference.....Chow passed the ball 49.7% of the time with a QB that only completed 50.6% of their passes. In that offense, Bennett hauled in 20.4% of the team's passes. He got his share, but there just weren't alot of passes to be shared.

    On the other hand, Linehan put the ball up on 58.3% of plays with a QB that completed 62.7% of his passes. And in that pass happy offense, Bruce got 20.0% of completions.

    My point is two fold. One, Bennett didn't have an offense geared to his production as Bruce did. And two, even with all those other weapons, Bruce had the same percentage as Bennett. The Titans actually shared the ball (on percentage basis) more than the Rams.
    Good points. It's real tough to compare because the offenses are basically opposite.

    Using 06 as a point of reference is tough because it was Young's rookie year and he was just a runner and not much of a passer. How about in 05 when McNair completed 61% of his passes and yet Bennett still only caught 58 balls and 4 TDs with no WRs around him. Both TE's caught 55 balls, only 3 less than Bennett. Troupe matched Bennett's 4 TD's and Kinney had 2 TD's of his own. Bennett only averaged 4.5 catches per game in 05. That's pretty low for a #1 WR even in a run first offense don't you think. So were they just spreading it around, or is Bennett just not that good and the Titans went with the better options?

    If Bennett can come close to or better what Bruce did 2 years ago, great. If he doesn't though, it's really going to hit the fan.

  12. #27
    bruce4life's Avatar
    bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hemet/San Diego CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    HIT the fan is an understatement my friend...

  13. #28
    thoey's Avatar
    thoey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,017
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    First off, last year a lot of people were paid to produce and didn't. Not all of them were hurt. Not all of them were players. As for Bennett's case, just watch when a high profile receiver hurts his hammy in this upcoming year. The reporters will remind people that the injury usually lasts all year. That's what happened to Bennett. You can come back from the injury, but it hurts your explosiveness and speed all year long.

    As for how much he's costing, his cap charge is almost $2M under what Bruce would have cost had we kept him. He's just slightly above what the Whiners signed him for. He's much younger and will be a player on this team for years to come. It's important that he start earning the money we have given him by becoming a starter on this team. Everyone got so angry that we paid him so much to be our third receiver. No we paid him to eventually take over for Bruce. Now everyone's mad that he'll actually earn the paycheck that he gets. Bruce meant a lot more to the fans than he did to the franchise. He has been a great player for many many years but now he's declined. If you want to win, sometime you need to make sacrifices, and Bruce ended up becoming one, by his choice. Should we have kept asking him to restructure? Maybe not. But the fact remains, he wasn't going to be performing up to the level of his cap charge. Give Bennett the chance to do that.
    I guess we will have to agree to *agree* since you basically said what I did with added detail. Must be the stats person in you.



    Only thing you mentioned different than what I did was about Bennett's salary this year compared to Bruce's expected salary for this year. I did not break the contract down by year but instead looked at the whole enchilada. A lot of money to not produce. But, agree, a WR with a hammy problem will be ineffective for most of the year. Hopefully he heals well since he is still young.
    This space for rent...

  14. #29
    rams4life88's Avatar
    rams4life88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    First off, last year a lot of people were paid to produce and didn't. Not all of them were hurt. Not all of them were players. As for Bennett's case, just watch when a high profile receiver hurts his hammy in this upcoming year. The reporters will remind people that the injury usually lasts all year. That's what happened to Bennett. You can come back from the injury, but it hurts your explosiveness and speed all year long.

    As for how much he's costing, his cap charge is almost $2M under what Bruce would have cost had we kept him. He's just slightly above what the Whiners signed him for. He's much younger and will be a player on this team for years to come. It's important that he start earning the money we have given him by becoming a starter on this team. Everyone got so angry that we paid him so much to be our third receiver. No we paid him to eventually take over for Bruce. Now everyone's mad that he'll actually earn the paycheck that he gets. Bruce meant a lot more to the fans than he did to the franchise. He has been a great player for many many years but now he's declined. If you want to win, sometime you need to make sacrifices, and Bruce ended up becoming one, by his choice. Should we have kept asking him to restructure? Maybe not. But the fact remains, he wasn't going to be performing up to the level of his cap charge. Give Bennett the chance to do that.
    Totally agree with you. That's been my stance for awhile now...ahem *ramsbruce*...

  15. #30
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,859
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: I am going out on a limb here....

    Thank you Thoey and 88. Hub, I tried repping you for the calculator statement, but I gotta spread the love. Lord knows it's my friend every day as an engineer... and Rams fan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)


Similar Threads

  1. Out On A Limb: 2006 predictions
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-27-2006, 08:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •