Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: I can't help but wonder ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I can't help but wonder ..

Is it possible that Jeff & Les knew long ago, they'd rather have Jared Cook than Danny Amendola? Regardless of the so called "tampering rules," Fish drafted Cook, and likely has his cell number. A tacit agreement (not monetary) may have been reached longer ago than we think.

Danny was a productive and very popular Ram - a big breath of fresh air when we first acquired him - hey we instantly found a punt and kickoff returner who could actually hang on to the ball nine times out of 10. He also achieved results beyond expectations as a receiver. That said, one could arguably venture that Jeff having seen the best and worst of both Cook and Amendola in live game situations, might have preferred a 6'5" 248 lb. receiver/tight end with home run speed to a generously listed 5'11" 188 lb. 4.68 forty guy who has had difficulty holding up physically for 16 game seasons.

Steven Jackson was one hell of a good running back - still is, just a step or two slower. Wasn't it Jeff Fisher who drafted Chris Johnson? What did he run? Wasn't it 4.24? Methinks that the Fish wants guys who can turn the corner with authority, receivers who can take it to the house on any play. Nothing like pure speed to loosen up an opposing defense.

I used to think of Jeff Fisher along the same lines as Chuck Knox - a "We'll run it down your throat all day long" type. Not so much anymore - not so much at all .. Thoughts?
    Last edited by MauiRam; -03-16-2013 at 07:39 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: I can't help but wonder ..

I have no doubt that Jeff Fisher knew he wanted a player like Jared Cook when he first arrived. The nice part about this regime is that they seem to do things methodically. Last year the emphasis was on defense and this year it will key on offense & special teams. Regardless, they want tough, hard-nosed football players because they can stay healthier on average than the smaller ones who take too much punishment each week. So yes, I agree with you Jeff Fisher had his eye on Jared Cook well before the past week or so.

The Steven Jackson issue in my mind was purely a football decision. While he wanted SJax on the team, he wasn't ready to devote the number of plays Steven wanted. He still likes tough rugged runners who can run between the tackles, but today you can find runners like Montee Ball who do that plus provide more speed. I recall the "Ground Chuck" days very well. The game has changed dramatically from that with more passing as the rules favor QB's and the offense so much more than back then. It used to be you ran to set up the pass, now you pass to set up the run. Plus look at the physicality of TE's & WR's, nothing like Bob Klein or Billy Waddy.

I think we're in good hands with Jeff Fisher, Les Snead and Kevin Demoff because they are solid talent evaluators and smart contract negotiators. I'm sure this Jake Long stuff will work out in the end, no one player will determine our fate for the coming season, which I eagerly await.

Go Rams!
    live4ramin and MauiRam like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I certainly like the philosophy of adding players who can score at any time versus pounding it down your throat types. The longer it takes you to score, the more you risk turnovers, penalties, sacks, etc. That is why the GSOT was the best offense this league has ever seen IMO.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I just think Shotty's offense values a huge matchup problem caused by a freakish TE than what a slot guy can do. Slot guys don't usually have to get off press coverage, so it's a job a lot of WR can do , if they have suddenness and good hands and courage to get smashed a lot inside.

In the case of Cook, he actually can play the slot, and he is a huge problem for teams there, especially in the red zone, but also on deep post or seam patterms. He's keep a lot of teams in cover two, with deep safeties, and that will free up the running game that Fisher wants.
    MauiRam likes this.
    Barry Waller

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Is it possible that Jeff & Les knew long ago, they'd rather have Jared Cook than Danny Amendola? Regardless of the so called "tampering rules," Fish drafted Cook, and likely has his cell number. A tacit agreement (not monetary) may have been reached longer ago than we think.

Danny was a productive and very popular Ram - a big breath of fresh air when we first acquired him - hey we instantly found a punt and kickoff returner who could actually hang on to the ball nine times out of 10. He also achieved results beyond expectations as a receiver. That said, one could arguably venture that Jeff having seen the best and worst of both Cook and Amendola in live game situations, might have preferred a 6'5" 248 lb. receiver/tight end with home run speed to a generously listed 5'11" 188 lb. 4.68 forty guy who has had difficulty holding up physically for 16 game seasons.

Steven Jackson was one hell of a good running back - still is, just a step or two slower. Wasn't it Jeff Fisher who drafted Chris Johnson? What did he run? Wasn't it 4.24? Methinks that the Fish wants guys who can turn the corner with authority, receivers who can take it to the house on any play. Nothing like pure speed to loosen up an opposing defense.

I used to think of Jeff Fisher along the same lines as Chuck Knox - a "We'll run it down your throat all day long" type. Not so much anymore - not so much at all .. Thoughts?
    +10000000000000 i agree. this team is going bigger, faster and stronger. Not compromising in any of those areas.