Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Re: I didn't think Rodger Saffold was likely to be traded, until...

With this years draft, Saffold value is low. And lets face it, every team wants as cheap as they can on the OL so as to get "stars" for the skill positions, unless they are a dominate lineman-- Saffold isn't one. Personally, I think Saffold ego is writing a check his talents can't cover.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    . . . . . .(as stroked by his Grima Wormtongue agent).
    Brilliant.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

i think your right Av, the writing is on the wall IMO and it continues to build. Saffold is from the previous regime and obviously not a guy Fisher really wants to keep around like many of the other players that Fisher got rid of from previous regimes. Although Saffold has had some injuries he is still an above average LT and wants to remain one. I would rather trade him now and get something for him then risk the chance of him hitting FA next year. I don't see his trade value going up much anyway this next year. Id be willing to trade him and a 5th(this year or next) for a 3rd rounder to a LT needy team like the Lions. Saffold isnt a Fisher guy, but he is still a good LT for another team.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I really don't think Harvey's such a big damm prize either.
    Prepare to be amazed.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

The fact that he's not guaranteed a roster spot (which is true for most players) is not really relevant to my point.

If he is on the roster, no matter how much he plays, and even if his base is the veteran's minimum, he would still be paid at least $200K more than Saffold.

Take this a step further. Three of our starting OL: Long, Dahl and Wells, will make a lot more than Saffold will this year. If the Rams have a rookie/1st round pick starter at the other OG spot, that player would make a lot more than Saffold.

The only potential starter on the OL who could make less than Saffold is Rok Watkins.

I just wonder if the combination of the move to RT, along with this dynamic, may be more than Saffold's ego (as stroked by his Grima Wormtongue agent) can take.
    I don't know, I hope Saffold realises his relatively small (when compared to the rest of the O line) salary is due to him being on his rookie contract, where Wells, Dahl, Long etc are all on at least a second contract and that he'll get paid more than all of them (except Jake Long) next offseason.

I doubt the money issue bothers Saffold and if it does he should learn to remain patient and work for that second contract.

Also if you add up Saffold's bonuses he makes $1.5 million this year. More than Williams can hope to make (realistically).
    Last edited by TheBritishRam; -04-02-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Looks like the market is full of LT not willing to play on the right side....

Branden Albert - T - Chiefs

Branden Albert said he would not be willing to play right tackle.
    This is one of the reasons Albert is on the trading block. The Chiefs are expected to select a left tackle (either Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher) with the No. 1 overall pick, thus leaving Albert without a home. He also appears to have no intention to report to the Chiefs until his role and contract is settled. "[I want to know] if I'm going to be there long term," Albert said. "Right now, everything is uncertain."
    Source: ESPN.com
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Also if you add up Saffold's bonuses he makes $1.5 million this year. More than Williams can hope to make (realistically).
    I don't know what bonus you're referring to. He already received a signing bonus when he first signed. I'm not aware of any incentive bonuses that he can earn this year.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

At the end of the day, Saffold has NO leverage. If he wants to sit, then sit. If he wants to be traded, trade him. If he wants to play and be a real man, then swing him in at RT. The only things he is doing is screwing himself.

1) He's been injured A TON the first few years of his career. Why not use a contract year to show he's healthy and still a very good player?

2) He's proving he thinks he is before the team. Doesn't give a damn for what the coaches ask him to do (move to RT).

3) He's a whiny, pouty, loser (if this crap is all true).

This is all contingent upon whether these allegations are true or not.

THE DREAM TEAM

I agree that Saffold has no leverage. If a trade happens, it will be because its what the Rams want, not what Saffold demands.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I don't know what bonus you're referring to. He already received a signing bonus when he first signed. I'm not aware of any incentive bonuses that he can earn this year.
    Think I'm might be getting mixed up between salary and cap hit.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I agree that Saffold has no leverage. If a trade happens, it will be because its what the Rams want, not what Saffold demands.
    As to your original question, if the Rams go OT, (or even OL), in the 1st round, I think you're dead on.
    Otherwise, maybe they'll wait and see if he comes around.

I thought Saffold was a good guy, but if it's not just agent-speak, adios.

OT, (while it's still the blind side), with the protections built in for the QB now, I don't know why LT is such a premium over RT.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'd give it a .05% chance of a trade occurring. There are many things at play.

1. if he considers himself a starting caliber LT, how is Saffold going to feel being traded for a 5th round pick? Since his feelings are so important and all wouldn't that be humiliating?
    2. anyone trading for him would want to lock him up to a contract before the trade and give a slightly higher pick. That's really difficult to achieve. People talk about it all the time, rarely happens.
    3. The Rams are tight against the cap. Why trade a cheap starter when you'll be paying more than that for his backup?
    4. I like Dahl, his cap hit is $3 million. IMO, he's not going anywhere. If anything, you could move him to RT. Williams is a player of value only because he can play so many positions, not that he can play any of them particularly well.
    5. backups (semi) routinely make more than starters in the NFL, especially with the new rookie contract figures. Russel Wilson makes <$600k in 2013 - his backup made >$7 million last year, going to be difficult to find a backup making less than $1 million this year.

Saffold is playing for a contract so holding out, demanding a trade or being disgruntled would be a horrible tactic this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    1. if he considers himself a starting caliber LT, how is Saffold going to feel being traded for a 5th round pick? Since his feelings are so important and all wouldn't that be humiliating?
    Who cares? The Rams don't need his approval.

2. anyone trading for him would want to lock him up to a contract before the trade and give a slightly higher pick. That's really difficult to achieve. People talk about it all the time, rarely happens.
    Not necessarily. I can imagine a team viewing Saffold as a cost-effective one-year stop-gap. If he plays well, he could always be re-signed next year.

I'm not going to assign a %, but I certainly think Saffold could be traded. If it happens, it will likely happen within a day or two of the draft, or during draft weekend.

Randart is offline Registered User

Was thinking something similar AvR, maybe even a draft day package deal with Saffold being a chip in the deal.... Les is a wiley trader on draft day. I love it so much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12