Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dominating D is offline Registered User

I do not get all the panic?

Why do some fans actually feel that preseason plays are actual plays the Rams will use during the season?

I've even seen post that encourage Bulger to stay in the game longer so he can get "used to" Saunders system?

When will people realize that preseason is pretty vanilla for the most part. The coaches game plan to evaluate talent most of it 1 on 1 and hopefully keep their players healthy.

I've stated this before if you feel the need to evaluate the team in preseason then consider looking at OL unity, focus (Offside, falsestarts, etc...), physical play, and timing(working together).

I would agree the Rams have some work to do in these areas buy I am not ready to pushing the panic button.

Why all the panic regarding Jackson.

Last I check no one has a time formulated table that is proven when it's too late for a starting RB to show up for camp. I tend to look at the positive as long as he's out the less likely he will get injured during the preseason.

Jackson does not seem to be the type of guy who would not train during a hold out. I do not believe it takes long for a RB to get into game shape.

Go RAMS
    Last edited by Dominating D; -08-13-2008 at 12:52 PM.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: I do not get all the panic?

I'm really not that worried about the offense (minus the whole Steven Jackson deal), but the way the defense played definately bothered me. Vanilla schemes are one thing- missing tackles, blown assignments, and the complete inablilty to stop opposing vanilla schemes is a cause for concern. it wasn't like the Titans were throwing out their regular season playbook and we were playing a base defense- this was base on base. Yes, I know Spoon, Otogwe, and Brown were missing, but really only Spoon would have affected the game because they were running the ball down our throats at will. Also, if Spoon is taking every hit because the D line aren't making any plays isn't good either. Spoon is smallish for the position and has been worn down in the past. If Otogwe and Brown are making the plays, then it's still a concern because they're getting past the front 7. I think another thing that is bothering people is how eerily similar to how a lot of the games last year went. It's almost a continuation.

But it's 1 preseason game only. If the Rams went 5-0 during the season and lost a game due to poor tackling and missed assignments it maybe a concern that some adjustments need to be made but does not neccessary mean the season is lost.

I agree the Rams need to improve on tackling and DL interior and effort. They have 3 more preseason games to make some adjustments and then lets see what happens in Philly.

Go Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I'm really not that worried about the offense (minus the whole Steven Jackson deal), but the way the defense played definately bothered me. Vanilla schemes are one thing- missing tackles, blown assignments, and the complete inablilty to stop opposing vanilla schemes is a cause for concern. it wasn't like the Titans were throwing out their regular season playbook and we were playing a base defense- this was base on base. Yes, I know Spoon, Otogwe, and Brown were missing, but really only Spoon would have affected the game because they were running the ball down our throats at will. Also, if Spoon is taking every hit because the D line aren't making any plays isn't good either. Spoon is smallish for the position and has been worn down in the past. If Otogwe and Brown are making the plays, then it's still a concern because they're getting past the front 7. I think another thing that is bothering people is how eerily similar to how a lot of the games last year went. It's almost a continuation.
    Actually the starting "D" was missing Witherspoon, Brown, Atogwe & Draft.

That's 4 out of 11.....kind of weakens the unit?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Actually the starting "D" was missing Witherspoon, Brown, Atogwe & Draft.

That's 4 out of 11.....kind of weakens the unit?
    Draft is a backup. Run defense is mainly the front seven and they were only missing one starting player from that unit.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Draft is a backup. Run defense is mainly the front seven and they were only missing one starting player from that unit.

When did this happen? Last time I read, Draft was the starter...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I don't know if "panic" is the right word. I think "concerned" is more in tune with the consensus here on the boards.

We're "concerned" because we see the "same ol' problems" starting out this year, as we saw last season. Poor tackling, poor execution, and no fire.

What I don't understand is how some fans lay a complete disclaimer on preseason like none of it matters. It does matter. Not the final score mind you, but the amount of quality practice and reps that a team can get matters. You can tell a lot about a team when they start to hit, and get hit by someone wearing a different colored uniform. You can get a feel for the team's mental conditioning, and attitude. While it's true that the Rams are running a "vanilla offense", so is the opposition. But it's funny, the Titans vanilla O had no problem running through our defense. Why couldn't the Rams stop the vanilla? What will the Rams D do when the opposition throws strawberry, chocolate and butterscotch at them?

Oh, I get it, the Rams will just throw that "switch" when they reach Philly and everything will be fine.

No, I think there's a real cause for "concern". If the Rams get trashed again this week, and give up another 200+ yards of rushing (which would be a huge improvement from last week) do we still say" don't panic , it's just the second game of preseason?"

When do we start to panic? I need to know so that I'm properly prepared.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yea, but what exactly made up that front 7? Two guys who last spent most of the year on IR (Pisa, Little); and Three guys who combined for one NFL start (Long, McG, QC). It's not like this is the primetime group on full go that hit the field in Nashville.

And what did that group do on run D? Excluding the 35 yard Young scramble, the Titans ran 7 times for 36 yards. Now don't get me wrong.......that ain't the '00 Ravens. But it's not quite the '06 Colts either.

There's a lot of work to be done, but the case is yet to be lost.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yea, but what exactly made up that front 7? Two guys who last spent most of the year on IR (Pisa, Little); and Three guys who combined for one NFL start (Long, McG, QC). It's not like this is the primetime group on full go that hit the field in Nashville.

And what did that group do on run D? Excluding the 35 yard Young scramble, the Titans ran 7 times for 36 yards. Now don't get me wrong.......that ain't the '00 Ravens. But it's not quite the '06 Colts either.

There's a lot of work to be done, but the case is yet to be lost.
    What about the Cowboys, Colts and the other superbowl teams that lost all their games in preseason and won the superbowl.

The preseason no matter how much you want it only matters when you lose players due to injuries and/or evaluate talent. It makes no difference if the teams gets blown out all preseason long.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    What about the Cowboys, Colts and the other superbowl teams that lost all their games in preseason and won the superbowl.

The preseason no matter how much you want it only matters when you lose players due to injuries and/or evaluate talent. It makes no difference if the teams gets blown out all preseason long.
    That's right, Dom-D. And here's a link to a short list of teams that agree with you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

All teams are adjusting, evaluating, and preparing for the season.

IMHO the teams who do extremely well in the preseason most often is designed by the coaching staff. The reason is to built confidence for a team that lacks the confidence. I would be more concern if the Rams staff put alot of emphasis on a preseason game by planning and going above the call of duty for a win.

This team needs to work on being a little more physical and work together as a unit. That should improve each week in the preseason.

No need to push the panic button...

supachump is offline Registered User

I tend to look at the positive as long as he's out the less likely he will get injured during the preseason.
    But more likely to get injured in the regular season. At least if you believe a study that was mentioned in another thread by a Dick Vermeil quote.

I could care less who wins and loses in the preseason. What I do care is whether the offense and defense play well together. That didn't happen last preseason and it carried over into the beginning of the year. So far, it hasn't happened this preseason either, and I don't want to see it carryover to the regular season.

Play em at least a 1/2 each game unless they start to look like a real team. IMO

No panic here, just concern. This team doesn't look like a team yet. They need the playing time!

Ben56 is offline Registered User

Anyone who cares about the score or the W-L in preseason is worried about nothing. However, anyone who doesnt worry about the play of the D or the lack of defensive depth shown by the 340 rushing yds is missing what preseason is about. Talent evaluation is a big part of why they play the preseason and based on that Defensive performance I'd say we have a lack of Defensive talent or at least depth.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I hear a allot of it's just preseason but this team need to build confidents. You do that by playing well and there is a psychology effect of wining games even preseason games. If we were the Pats coming off a 18-1 season I would not be concern. But coming off a 3-13 season and playing bad last preseason than getting started like this. They got 3 more preseason games if the Chargers smack us down I guss I will hear it's only the second preseason game. Just play well rams thats all I want I don't care who is out there or who we are playing.
    :ramlogo:

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

The "panic"?? Lets see...the better part of the last 3 years as LEAGUE DOORMAT, ONE NFL TEAM was worse last year, THE focal point of the offense looks prepared to sit out the season and a BEAT DOWN out of the gate this pre-season. Youre right...I dont get it either.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast