Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Truth is offline Registered User

I Don't Want the #1 Pick

Aside from the fact that it means we had the worst record in football (and by deduction were the worst TEAM in football). I don't want the added pressure on our front office to take the concensus #1 pick. Why? Because it's usually a QB or RB and that's not our most pressing need. I'd be very happy with a top 5 pick, thank you very much.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: I Don't Want the #1 Pick

How about an OT or a WR? IF the Rams got the #1 they could always trade down. Maximize the value of the #1 for as many picks possible. They need 'em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'd only want the #1 pick if trading it would mean two picks in the top 20.

rammiser is online now Registered User

We need a good coaching staff not the #1 pick. If we had the #1 pick we would get the Ryan Leaf or Lawrence Phillips player while the best player in the draft goes #2. We need a new coaching staff and front office now that I think of it.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    How about an OT or a WR? IF the Rams got the #1 they could always trade down. Maximize the value of the #1 for as many picks possible. They need 'em.

It depends on how far down we're talking. If we could trade a #1 for a legitimate player and say a top ten pick. OK. Even a top 10 pick and High 2nd and 3rd rounds, maybe. However, I'm not sure I trust our FO to move wisely. Their track record of late isn't stellar. To be totally honest, I'm not even sure they'd know what to do with a #5 pick.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

I agree also. #1 pick is too much pressure. It makes us have to pick Brian Brohm or Darren McFadden or probably trade out and get not too many takers. #5 is good for me. I would go with Calais Campbell or Kenny Phillips with maybe Glenn Dorsey.

I would NOT pick Jake Long because that would mean 3 1st round OT for 2 position. One would have to sit. That would be bad. If Pace and Long were the OT, it would signify to us that Barron was a bust. If it is Pace and Barron, then you selected a high pick OT to have him sit for awhile which could have gone to a superstar Defensive player.

If it is Barron and Long, then Pace is out. Even at 75%, Pace is still in the top 10% of the OT in the league. It is hard to justify a very good OT to sit. Barron is a very good pass blocker but substandard run blocker; more meant for the left side.

This would mean that we should draft a RT. Top 5 is too high for a RT; when there are some good RT in the top of the 2nd round like Gosder Cheriluis, Chris Williams, Barry Richardson and Tony Hillis.

The only way I see drafting Jake Long is if Orlando retires after this season.

Last edited by onslaught11; -10-01-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typing errorssssssssssssss
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    We need a good coaching staff not the #1 pick. If we had the #1 pick we would get the Ryan Leaf or Lawrence Phillips player while the best player in the draft goes #2. We need a new coaching staff and front office now that I think of it.
    Maybe you're speaking out of frustration.....and understandably; I'm right there with you. However, this coaching staff has had 2 first round picks, and has turned them into 3 starters (Hill, Carriker, Wroten) assuming Cheech Wroten dries out for good. Hard to pick on their 1st round drafting abilities at this point.

The front office? Yea, I'll give you that one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    It depends on how far down we're talking. If we could trade a #1 for a legitimate player and say a top ten pick. OK. Even a top 10 pick and High 2nd and 3rd rounds, maybe. However, I'm not sure I trust our FO to move wisely. Their track record of late isn't stellar. To be totally honest, I'm not even sure they'd know what to do with a #5 pick.

In the past I would agree with you. I feel like the Rams have in recent years done a decent job with the #1 with players like: Jackson, Barron, Hill and while the jury is still out I think Carriker will not be a bust. Plus, you've got Tony in there judging talent and I have to admit that I think the Rams (so far) did a decent job with the rest of their picks in this past draft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

In the past I would agree with you. I feel like the Rams have in recent years done a decent job with the #1 with players like: Jackson, Barron, Hill and while the jury is still out I think Carriker will not be a bust. Plus, you've got Tony in there judging talent and I have to admit that I think the Rams (so far) did a decent job with the rest of their picks in this past draft.
    True. The last couple of years have not been a bust. However, a #1 pick is a ton of pressure, and probably not a good spot for us.

Gotta be careful though. They can't "always" trade down. However, if Dallas were to give up their two picks (probably around 8-12 for Cleveland's and 29-31 for theirs), I'd do it. Coupled with the Pats forfeit, that would give us 3 of the "first round" (that is top 32) picks.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe you're speaking out of frustration.....and understandably; I'm right there with you. However, this coaching staff has had 2 first round picks, and has turned them into 3 starters (Hill, Carriker, Wroten) assuming Cheech Wroten dries out for good. Hard to pick on their 1st round drafting abilities at this point.

The front office? Yea, I'll give you that one.
    Youre right I am frustrated because I just watched a coach put a QB on the field that with two broken ribs couldnt win a pick up game with 14 yr olds. I watched Bulger get sacked not hard but brought to the turf and get up grimmicing in serious pain. I saw a very accurate QB look very much like a Rex Groosman. I saw a top 5 qb that didnt look like he wanted to be out there strat to well up on the sideline after that pick in the endzone. Our coaching staff is making very poor decisions about this football team. If Bulger was out there with broken ribe where was Jackson. Man Jackson must be soft letting a torn groin muscle keep him out of action. Pace,Hill, and Incognito should all be ashamed of themselves for not starting Sunday. If Bulger can go with two broken ribs then why not start all our injured players Scott? At most of the positions named we dont have a really good backup but at QB we do. But Scotty waited untill the game was out of hand to insert Ferrotte??? Maybe the most horrible head coaching decision I have ever seen.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Youre right I am frustrated because I just watched a coach put a QB on the field that with two broken ribs couldnt win a pick up game with 14 yr olds.
    Yea, I'm not sure I understand that decision either. Frerotte makes good money, has a presently intact rib cage, and knows the system........put him on the field already.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

It gives you many Options, it's a great place to be from that perspective.

Others will want that spot and be willing to trade for that spot.

I'd say the Jury is still out on Hill and Barron.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

The pick is valuable

The #1 pick could be valuable.

With Bulger just recently signed, the Rams won't take a QB....but they could take advantage of Miami and Atlanta in a trade perhaps.

Steven Jackson isn't signed long-term, so I couldn't rule out Darren McFadden.

The guy I want is Glenn Dorsey. Picking #1 would guarantee a shot at him.

The #1 pick might also be attractive to a legitimate coach to help start his rebuilding of the St. Louis Rams.

blood85 is offline Registered User

I hear everyones frustrations, sure would be nice to get a win vs AZ at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast