Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find the reporting on Fakhir Brown to be disgusting

The Fakhir Brown situation has prompted something that I didn't think could be accomplished - a lowering of the already nearly nonexistent standards of sports journalism.

As I can see it, there are only two possibilities:

(1) They don't know anything. If that is the case, then the proper response would be to say nothing. If all you have is a theory, suspicion, rumor or suggestion of something as serious as a failed drug test/suspension, then you should say nothing until its confirmed.

(2) They know something, but are not permitted to report the whole story. If that is the case, then the proper response once again is to say nothing. What is the point of saying "he's going to be on a long vacation" if you are unable or unwilling to specify the reason why?

If it turns out that Fakhir Brown has, in fact, engaged in conduct that will result in a suspension, we'll know soon enough. However, if it turns out that he has not... then these hacks who are (almost gleefully, in Bernie's case) quipping about it now will truly owe a multitude of apologies.

I guess what I'm saying is... hey, Bernie, Randy, Jim and others... just shut the Hell up about Brown until you actually have information that you can share!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: I find the reporting on Fakhir Brown to be disgusting

If reporter actually did that (not saying thats bad) Brittany Spears wouldn't half as interesting. Does anyone know if she has custody of her kids any more. Just kidding

Keenum is offline Registered User

I believe Sports writing does indeed have several writers who have no idea what they are talking about, but there are still some great ones out there.
    If the Brown situation is false, then I want to see some more of this reporter's work and see if they have a history of bogus reports.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Posted by me in the 'Bernie on Trent Green' thread 1 week ago:

Oh, the pressures that some sports writers must go through in the off-season! Bernie...

39beast has a point. Thanks to the copious amounts of rubbish reports and asinine articles on people (no, I don't follow the tabloid news on Britney Spears), we wouldn't know much about them. Even if what we "know" is nonsense!

Therefore, that old cliché is once again true today: "you have to consider the source".

Let's see what develops on Fakhir Brown the next few days. Perhaps John Clayton will have something more substantial and reliable. He may be the nerdiest looking reporter in all of sports -- worldwide -- but his information is usually solid and professional.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-17-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Tyop!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

You're right Av. I'm going to college for journalism and video productions, and I don't release an article until I know I have facts.

I haven't heard any reliable sources say that this is true. I'm sorry, Bernie is not an accurate source.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    ...I don't release an article until I know I have facts.

I haven't heard any reliable sources say that this is true. I'm sorry, Bernie is not an accurate source.

And that's a fact alright!

Rumors are one thing: potential scenarios for who wins an Oscar; forecasted economy; rumors of war. Rumors are as old as the art and science of communication itself.

Misinformation is another thing altogether. Twisted info either by intelligence or by malice, even that may have a purpose. ...But publishing something because you're expected to -- more on a 'quantity than quality' basis -- particularly when the integrity of an individual' name is on the line (or the lack thereof), is just lazy and irresponsible reporting. That's fundamental.

Good for you, Moose, that you understand the difference on all this. You will certainly need that mentality in the real world, even when it is hard to handle the truth [Col. Nathan Jessep].

Again, we should be knowing about Brown very soon.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

No tomahawk, because I remember last june or july is when he initially got suspended and I was on summerbreak, which meant football hadent started yet.
    Built RAM tough

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

would the NFL report on failed drug tests in the offseason, or is it only when the season begins that they will say whether someone has failed a test?

chiguy is offline Registered User

Couldn't agree more Avenger. If you have something, write it up. Otherwise, stop yammering until you do.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

how did ramsplaya answer my question before i asked it? O_O

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I would imagine as soon as the results are known, the teams should be informed, or else it would be detrimental to the team, no? We're doing all this work for the draft and if the NFL knows it's going to suspend Brown, don't you think that the team would like to know, so that it can change its plans? In any case, I'm pretty sure the team is told whether it's a pass or fail soon after the results come back. You never find teams too surprised that the player fails the test. The question is, when does the public learn of it?

I agree with Av, if something was to this story, we should have heard a more fact-based story out of ESPN, SI or the AP by now. I think Bernie just doesn't like Brown and so he came out with this rumor. Or he's just bored and threw a dart at Rams players' pictures and he hit Brown and hit suspension on the story dart board.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I couldn't disagree more. If the press goes a few days without talking about the Rams, people on this board berate the Post because of lack of coverage. Ok, so to appease the masses, they report on what could happen and what do they get? Berated.

So, it's a no win situation.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Where there's smoke there's usually fire. If he indeed has failed a drug test, it makes it even more amazing that the Rams did absolutely nothing to address their secondary this offseason so far...

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. If the press goes a few days without talking about the Rams, people on this board berate the Post because of lack of coverage. Ok, so to appease the masses, they report on what could happen and what do they get? Berated.

So, it's a no win situation.
    What?

I don't recall anyone on this board berating the PD for not reporting on the Rams when nothing was going on.

Also, they haven't reported on what "could happen." They've stated what will happen, but refused to provide any specific reason. Instead, its all innuendo and "you can guess" kind of messages.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Perhaps, but that's not the issue. The issue is that they are reporting that there's a "fire" without telling us how they know that. That's irresponsible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-16-2008, 10:22 PM