View Poll Results: How do you feel about the preseason

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its the delicious appetizer before the main course that is regular season football.

14 42.42%
  • It is a bigger tease than the plastic-wrapped copy of Maxim at the news stand.

7 21.21%
  • Glad to have football back, but this is not REALLY football.

12 36.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I hate preseason. How about you?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I hate preseason. How about you?

When I was younger, I used to love preseason. After months without football, I was just thrilled to have it back.

Now, no so much. I find preseason to be stressful, due to the fear of injuries. I also find myself constantly tempering my reaction to what the Rams do on the field. I know that strong performances don't guarantee regular season success, and many great teams have poor preseason showings.

So, how do you feel about the preseason?
    ManofGod likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: I hate preseason. How about you?

I feel HIGHLY teased by all the trash talk. Highly teased because you KNOW, like for example yesterday against the Colts, that most teams dont play the starters for very long, with some not playing at all. This leads to a very different outcome. Highly teased because it doesnt count.

It really plays with your emotions because you wanna beat down on other teams, but yet because key guys arent playing, it means that you cant really judge the final score.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I don't mind preseason at all, if anything it's a necessary evil. I view it as a chance to evaluate the talent of my team and the other teams in the division. Sure, it's nothing more than a over hyped practice session, but it's also a stepping to something greater. I love preseason.
    ManofGod likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    After months without football, I was just thrilled to have it back.
    Sure, injuries are always a concern for every team, but this still holds true for me .. Guess I'm a hopeless addict ...

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't hate it, but I feel the same as you AV when it comes to injuries to key guys in games that don't count. Looking at the Bears games, giving up nine sacks and the whiners giving up huge hits on Smith, but that might have been a good thing!
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Don't forget Russel Okung going down to yet ANOTHER ankle injury. That was pretty sweet.

Overall I just feel like it's a tease for everyone, because if you blow someone out, then you start thinking you will make the Super Bowl. If you get blown out, you just think that it's because you didn't play your starters and didn't game plan. You get all of these excited fans thinking something that will amount to less than nothing once the regular season starts.

The only thing that counts now are reps and injuries.
    I believe!

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

I just find it difficult to watch once the starters are pulled. I know it's necessary for evaluating talent, etc. but I don't get excited to watch it for very long.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I truly believe that nothing good can happen in preseason, its only downside. Whatever you think you see on the field performance wise is materially misleading for a hundred different reasons, and injuries threaten to screw up your season. As i have said many times, you can't win anything in preseason, but you can lose plenty. I do not buy for one minute the "momentum" heading into the regular season any more than i believe that winning a game or two at the end of the prior season carries over to the next year. I see no statistical evidence to suggest that wins and losses in pre season correlate to the regular season when games are often decided in the fourth quarter by players that wont even be on the field when the season starts. I saw plenty of open receivers saturday night that peyton manning wouldnt miss.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I really love it because the scouts are wrong so often....if gives chances to guys from all areas of Football....

Victor Cruz New York Giants will probably be a big part of the NY Giants this year coming from a D3 school and really outworked many players....

w/o pre-season the fans would never see his potential and the team probably would have cut him .....

gotta love those players....those no minor leagues for football....

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Anytime I see Rams football I enjoy it.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I use mainly as a appetizer, keeping my eye's on any new players. Thats about it.? It was beautiful to see Lance Kendricks shove it right back at the doubter's, who said the Rams made a mistake taking him in the 2nd round of the draft. As was punching the air when Quinn on his very first play as a Ram, got straight in there with a hit on the QB. Pettis should be able to do his best damage in the red zone, where his speed isnt as much of an issue. Missed time with injury is really going to affect Salas's chance's of making the team, hopefully he can play some this week versus the Titans. Gilyard could be the biggest sleeper on the Rams roster this season, it was interesting to see him take Amendolas place on return duties, and rightfully so. ? Gilyard is a better talent on paper.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -08-16-2011 at 12:47 PM.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Normally i dont care much for it but with the lockout this preseason i am looking forward to it.But at the same time i do agree with you guys that it is just a tease and i know it doesnt really count for much in the regular season.Teams have good preseasons and bad regular seasons/vice versa,i dont put much stock into it but this year im just glad to see the Rams our there playing so im enjoying it.I am def biting my nails waiting for week 1 tho

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I truly believe that nothing good can happen in preseason, its only downside. Whatever you think you see on the field performance wise is materially misleading for a hundred different reasons, and injuries threaten to screw up your season. As i have said many times, you can't win anything in preseason, but you can lose plenty. I do not buy for one minute the "momentum" heading into the regular season any more than i believe that winning a game or two at the end of the prior season carries over to the next year. I see no statistical evidence to suggest that wins and losses in pre season correlate to the regular season when games are often decided in the fourth quarter by players that wont even be on the field when the season starts. I saw plenty of open receivers saturday night that peyton manning wouldnt miss.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't agree that there is only downside. There certainly is a lot of opportunity for it given the games don't count, and teams must play at least some of their starters. On the other hand, there's probably benefit in the starters knocking off a bit of rust. Preseason does give the coaching staffs an opportunity to see players under game conditions, and therefore some insight on who to keep and who not to. I'm glad Steven Jackson didn't play, and Sam very likely may have gotten extended time due to the protection he was receiving.

Agreed on your points that "you can't win anything," "momentum," and preseason wins not correlating to regular season wins" That said, I believe there is opportunity to be had as well. In our case, given the lockout combined with the Rams having to learn a new offense is a big bite to chew on. We also have a logjam at linebacker on defense. I trust that our coaching staff will take advantage of the opportunities to evaluate players in actual game situations and make the right choices for our team's opening day roster. Hopefully those choices will be very difficult for them to make.

Any time players step on the field be it practice or actual games, the risk of injury is always there. On the other hand, if Trent Green had not of sustained an injury, Kurt Warner may never have received his chance. It is always a crap shoot when it comes to guys getting hurt. I do believe that it is wise to limit the starters' preseason playing time, and also their playing time in regular season games if we are comfortably ahead. Preseason seems a necessary evil, but four preseason games may be a bit much - I'll give you that ..

Agreed too on your point about the open receivers that Peyton likely wouldn't have missed. If Peyton had played, the outcome might have been very different - particularly with regard to turnovers - that said, I'll still take a meaningless win over a meaningless loss!
    RealRam likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

preseason to me is a welcomed sight not only because I miss football, but I like to see the first team in and out. like going into hot water, you do it a little at a time. can we prevent discomfort? no, but once your in it's fun time.

when we played pop warner scrimmages were part of development and that's how i feel about preseason. PRESEASON IS FOOTBALL and has been since 1920s. We have to get over it. Take the good with the bad and the ugly.
    MauiRam likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I like preseason about as much as watching the draft. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast