Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I have not lowered my standards... Have you?

Woo-hoo!!! The Rams won again!!!

I mean... sure... it was a skin-of-the-teeth win against a really bad team, but hey...

A win's a win!!!!

Meh.

Sorry, but mark me down as "unimpressed." I didn't see a team rising up from the depths of an abysmal start. What I saw this week was a team making the same mistakes, missing the same opportunities, and failing to adjust. Yes, the game ended with a game winning interception, but be honest. How many, when the ball left Dilfer's hand, feared (or even expected) that the game would instead be lost on that play?

Its not that I don't get that any win, even an ugly one, beats a loss. I do.

But I refuse to lower my standards so much that I will get overly excited about a poorly played game in a lost season, even if it ends with a win. I expect more. In another thread, someone suggested (though it seemed more of an accusation) that I still think this is a good team. I can't say that. Right now, the Rams are not a good team. But I also don't think they are this bad. I think that, even with the guys now playing, this team can be better than what we're seeing on the field.

I'm not going to play the blame game here. I've done that enough. I simply am saying that I'll never be content with a win that comes only because the other team played even worse than the Rams. I want to see quality play. I want to see progress. I want to see something that will give me hope for the future.

I didn't see that yesterday.

So, yes, I'm happy the Rams won. But I really don't feel any better about the team.

Do you?

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: I have not lowered my standards... Have you?

I concur, Counselor.

While I wait for my team to improve, and prove they can win against decent competition, (see Squawks), I will yet relish any win we can come up with.

It beats losing!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Woo-hoo!!! The Rams won again!!!

I mean... sure... it was a skin-of-the-teeth win against a really bad team, but hey...

A win's a win!!!!

Meh.

Sorry, but mark me down as "unimpressed." I didn't see a team rising up from the depths of an abysmal start. What I saw this week was a team making the same mistakes, missing the same opportunities, and failing to adjust. Yes, the game ended with a game winning interception, but be honest. How many, when the ball left Dilfer's hand, feared (or even expected) that the game would instead be lost on that play?

Its not that I don't get that any win, even an ugly one, beats a loss. I do.

But I refuse to lower my standards so much that I will get overly excited about a poorly played game in a lost season, even if it ends with a win. I expect more. In another thread, someone suggested (though it seemed more of an accusation) that I still think this is a good team. I can't say that. Right now, the Rams are not a good team. But I also don't think they are this bad. I think that, even with the guys now playing, this team can be better than what we're seeing on the field.

I'm not going to play the blame game here. I've done that enough. I simply am saying that I'll never be content with a win that comes only because the other team played even worse than the Rams. I want to see quality play. I want to see progress. I want to see something that will give me hope for the future.

I didn't see that yesterday.

So, yes, I'm happy the Rams won. But I really don't feel any better about the team.

Do you?
    Arent you asking for a bit much, I mean be realistic we have Losehan as our head coach. If we can win games now with a beat up o-line why werent we winning games in the first 8 weeks with a beat up o-line. Couldnt be the coaching it all hangs on the players right (wink,wink). No team except for the Pats plays great every week just look at the Colts vs the Chiefs. I'd like to see improvement but untill Lameahan can come up with more than 1 good gameplan a year it isnt going to happen. Just look how ticked off Jackson was at him at the end of the game for calling delayed handoffs and giving the rb no chance to hit the hole. I'm not lowering my standards I just dont expect much from this team, but I love getting wins. I especially love getting wins vs the Whiners ugly or not.
    Just Fix It

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Do you?
    With the state of the team and all they have had to endure this year, hell yes I feel better about them! They haven't quit, they're still hungry to win and are going for three in a row against Seattle with a positive attitude. GO RAMS!!!

rampower is offline Registered User

I feel a hell of a lot better. Yes it was an awful game. The rams didn't give up though, they still want to win games, despite their record.

The O line was dreadful. Yet we still won. Is this team in this state a real winner. No. Not until we have a better O line on the field. Which next year, we should. I am happy they are still trying. Happy at 2-8 hell no. but better than 0-10. I know we all want to be 8-2, but we are not, and no team would be with this O line. Nobody should apologise for being hapy for seeing their team win 2 games in a row. Give this team a better o line then we might start winning, better.

At 0-8 what can you do?

Spend the rest of season mad because we are not 8-0?

call the coach out for not adjusting the team despite 18 different shifts on the O line alone this year (compared to 5 total team shifts due to injury in our superbowl winning year??) adjust with what??

at 2-8?

Be happy we have won a couple and hope we improve some more?

Be happy this team is showing some heart now?

Call out the D that gives up 9 points on the road?

Has anybody seen how much time bulger was getting most of last week?

obviuosly Lecky must have been coached poorly. Nothing to do with his ability.

I want playoffs and superbowls.

I want wins.

I dont want 0-8. But I cant change the fact that they were.

I dont want 2-8. But where else can you go from 0-8??

I dont want 2-14. At this moment I want 8-8. I want this team to win. Regardless of who is coach next year. I want us to win our final 8 games, is that lowering my standards??? I always want my team to do its best and win.

But within I have a choice.

Go crazy till we win another superbowl, or try to take what I can from following this team.

We have only ever won one superbowl, ever.

Or I can be happy when the team goes on its first winning streak of the year.

Hope it helps them build confidence. Helps them realise that when we get some consistency at O line and a player or 2 back, that we caould be a playoff team.

Hope that the team gets more confidence from the fact that not only are there worse teams out there ( who had a better record for 9 weeks) but even when you play badly, you can still beat them , on the road.

The D has improved this year. We all wanted to see that.

We have just beaten another team, that 2 weeks ago had won 2 more games than we had. Many were thinking of the first pick in the draft.

BIGGEST OF ALL

We have just beaten our arch rival, I repeat we have just beaten our arch rival.

I always enjoy that. ALWAYS. YES ALWAYS. Regardless of our record and I have always felt that way.

When the 3-7 rams beat the whiner 28-17 in 1990. Did I think we were going to the playoffs? NO!

Did I think we had turned the corner? NO!

Had we just beat the team I like to beat the most? YES!

Thats were my standards will never differ. I will Always enjoy beating our biggest rival.

In the playoffs or the basement of the NFC west, I will always enjoy the rivalry we share. Always.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This is a strange year but let's look at the "big" picture (hate that corporate term).

1. The defense has been the nagging point of us fans for years, especially against the run. Suddenly, this team is getting young and stingy not having given up a 100 yard rushing performance ALL YEAR. This defense is close to being what we as fans have wanted all along.

2. Special Teams is looking somewhat better. Hall brings an electrifying skill on returns and now we are getting better against the KO return. That's something.

Now, the offense has been banged up. Losing Pace at the start of the season really hurt then Incognito and Romberg too? 3 out of 5 starters on the O line with Barron playing out of position. That's tough.

Then, the skill players go down. Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Bruce, and Bennett all get injured around the same time. If any team can survive that and make the playoffs that coach is definately a deity of some sort.

Ugly wins happen just like ugly losses. However, teams with moxie have more ugly wins. I'll take this win, on the road against our most hated rival and go on to the next week.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Losing Pace at the start of the season really hurt then Incognito and Romberg too? 3 out of 5 starters on the O line with Barron playing out of position.
    Setterstrom. That'd be 4 starters gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by AV
    I want to see quality play. I want to see progress. I want to see something that will give me hope for the future.
    On the whole, it was ugly.....no question. However, in parts, there were several signs of progress. The Run D was outstanding. Holding Pro Bowler Frank Gore to 32 yards on 15 carries......definite progress. A pass D that held the whiners under 50%, 5.0 ypa, 2 picks, and ZERO TDs......good sign. No turnovers, only 3 penalties, whiners were 3-14 on 3rd down, Gore's longest run was 7 yards.......good signs all!

Both offenses were horrible. Ours to make us nervous, theirs to let us breath easier. So there was plenty of ugliness to go around. However, lots of good points of progress to point to in this game as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    If we can win games now with a beat up o-line why werent we winning games in the first 8 weeks with a beat up o-line.
    Because in only 1 of those 8 games were we playing a team as bad as the whiners.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I will agree that, if you want to find a silver lining to this fiasco of a season, it is the improvement of the run defense. The team has gone from allowing 4.9 ypc in 2006 to 4.1 this year.

Perhaps even a better indicator of the improvement is the play of Will Witherspoon. He's having a Pro Bowl year, and that does not happen unless the DTs keep blockers off of him and allow him to make plays. I do have high hopes for the trio of Carriker, Ryan and Wroten.

Rambos is offline Registered User

We started two back up O-linemen from the cards practice team. Basically guys not playing in the league. Do you really think you can plug warm bodies in, and they will play at a pro bowl level? I know you donít AV. I would say with out a doubt IF we had our starting O-line, Young would have not taken over the game. The Rams would have crushed the whiners Sunday. But we donít so you have to cut them some slack. It all starts up front and we just donít have a decent O line. As I watch Brady and the Pats play and Tom stands in the pocket forever. I just think how Marc would look standing in there for a week patting the ball as he waits for Moss to run an 80-yard deep route. How good would the Pats look with our O line?

The real issue is whether there's enough here for the Rams to become a good team next year. I'd break it down this way:

QBs: Bulger is more than good enough. He just needs time to throw. As for the backup, at this point, I'd rather have a young, athletic QB insteas of Gus.

RBs: Jackson, Leonard and Pittman make RB the deepest position on the Rams' roster. We could use a true lead blocking FB (remind me again why we cut Hedgecock?).

WRs/TE: We need to add a deep threat to open things up for Holt, Bruce and Bennett. McMichael is good, but I can't must much hope for Klop or Byrd.

OL: If Pace, Setterstrom and Incognito can come back healthy, the line will be much improved. That said, we really need a stud inside to make it come together (I'd break the bank for Faneca).

DL: For the first time in years, I like our DTs. DE is another story. I think a pass rushing DE is the top draft priority right now.

LB: We need to add another OLB to the mix, but probably don't need to spend more than a second round pick on the position. A guy like Lance Briggs will be tempting, but I don't see us paying for him.

DB: Our CBs are adequate, but I'd like to see if a guy like DeAngelo Hall might be available in a trade. Atogwe is having a good season, but we need a thumper at SS (Bob Sanders, anyone?)

So, the building blocks are there, but its going to take some doing (and a healthy 2008) to bring it all together.

I think in the secondary, next year will be the year to see if Tye Hill is legit. He still has a tendency to get burned too often.

This right here AV is your best work to date great job.

Hedgecock was good but lets be honest he was not great. If we can find a beast at FB lets get one.

Again Bennett for Curtis still think Curtis was and is better. Bennett is not 100% time will tell on that move. With Holt, Bennett and Bruce all are some what hampered it might look worse then it is, but yeah its time to add a young fast, big kid to this roster.

OL again I agree, get a vet like Faneca and draft a DE works for me. Not sure if Pace or Cog can stay healthy. SS and stud DE are the last pieces too this D.

I think we are really close to having a great team. The Health of the O line Pace, Cog next year are key. And who we add, a vet or a rookie in the second round, we need some depth too weather losses to key guys. Next year 2 TE and carry a small army of O line men that can play.

TX I though Hill had one of his best games last week. INT with some tight coverage. No flags...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    TX I though Hill had one of his best games last week. INT with some tight coverage. No flags...

Guess it's all about perception. I thought the WR's dropped some balls they should have caught against Hill and had him beat.

Well, don't forget this equation:

PBCB - DPR = T

(Pro Bowl Cornerback - Decent Pass Rush = Toast)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast