Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rams4Life is offline Registered User

I hope Carriker helps stuff the run...

but i'm not to pumped about it. I think they are putting to much on Carriker. I like Carriker ok but as a DE. Why they would draft a DE to play DT and expect him to solve all the run problems is beyond me. If they would have just drafted Branch or Justin Harrell, i would feel alot better. And counting on 5th and 7th round picks doesn't help any, although they could be decent players.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Negative here, but DT is still a dire need. Kennedy may have been a stiff, but at least he had some pro experience as a NT and was OK at times. All the Rams nose tackles now are rookies.

Wroten will be alot better, but he is more of a pass rusher than a run stuffer. This really worries me. Unless the Rams know something i don't.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Re: I hope Carriker helps stuff the run...

They drafted a DE to play DT because this player has the hi energy motor the winning attitude the willingness to do what is best for the team & oh yea he's 6'6" 300+ lbs runs a 4.7/4.8 is strong as an ox & has great hands for any d-line position.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

GET EM'!!!!!! I love how you put that BIG-BLUE, no one could have said it better.

LET'S GO CARRIKER.

RealRam is offline Registered User

That's right, Blue! Well said. :bash:

4life, AC's transition to DT shouldn't be difficult at all, neither for the Rams DL nor for himself as a player. Personally, I see the big youngster growing, literally, into a DT. As far as I can foresee his football future, he will physically -- easily and comfortably -- grow into a 6-6, 310 to 315 lb. defender more suited for a DT than a DE. AND he's made up his mind to be such a man with the Rams, a highly positive trait Coach Linehan and Co. saw in him before the draft.

Carriker knows what the Rams defense was all about last year, that is, he understands what they were not. And I believe he'll work very, very hard to be a main improvement to stuff the run.

I think they are putting too much on Carriker. -- Rams4life
    Agreed. Again, he's a big man, apparently mentally too: up to the challenge, ready and willing. Not to worry though, the Rams will help and support him as much as possible. BTW, I look forward to seeing veteran La'Roi Glover take AC under his wing and mentor him successfuly. The Glove knows the game, for sure!
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-11-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Format

Rexi is offline Registered User

I agree with you whole heartedly man-- Carriker's high motor/developed technique seem better suited for DE than DT. If he was going to be used in the Wistrom role for you guys opposite Little, I'd like the pick a lot more.

But I can't ever see him being the monster clogger you guys need. I don't know much about what Wroten's got, but I think Branch or Harrell would have been closer to the type of guy that could really develop into the key run stuffer to shore up the Rams defense.

Carriker seems like a relatively finished product to me...and right now he's not impacting the run game to the point desired out of the 13th overall pick. Branch seems to have that potential to me though, if he isn't a total couch potato as the rumors indicate. Personally, I think Arizona got a steal.

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    I agree with you whole heartedly man-- Carriker's high motor/developed technique seem better suited for DE than DT. If he was going to be used in the Wistrom role for you guys opposite Little, I'd like the pick a lot more.

But I can't ever see him being the monster clogger you guys need. I don't know much about what Wroten's got, but I think Branch or Harrell would have been closer to the type of guy that could really develop into the key run stuffer to shore up the Rams defense.

Carriker seems like a relatively finished product to me...and right now he's not impacting the run game to the point desired out of the 13th overall pick. Branch seems to have that potential to me though, if he isn't a total couch potato as the rumors indicate. Personally, I think Arizona got a steal.
    I'm afraid your right. Unless the Rams can get Jenkins and put him along side Carriker. Carriker would be a better UT IMO, but with Glover there and Carriker at the nose they still look weak against the run with the Rams small LB's.

I would have been happy with Sam adams or Ken Vincent, both true NT's. But the Rams passed on them then traded Kennedy so there must be a plan. If they start the year with the group they have, i will be shocked.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Carriker seems like a relatively finished product to me...and right now he's not impacting the run game to the point desired out of the 13th overall pick.
    That may have something to do with it still being the pre-season.

Guys, Carriker was the single most versatile D-lineman in the draft. According to every expert I pay attention to, he had the best hands of any D-lineman in the draft. He could feasibly play any DL position.....DE, UT, NT; 3-4 or 4-3. He was a much safer bet than Branch, and more of an NT than Harrell. He has shown the desire to work and the willingness to change. Add that to a 6'6", 305 lb. (and growing) frame, we've got ourselves the makings of the answer we've been looking for to shore up the middle of our line.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I think some people are expecting a little too much if they think Carriker will be a miracle worker in his first year. I think he can play well, but he alone on his rookie year isn't going to jump our run defense into the top ten by himself. He'll develop into a great run stuffer, thats for sure, but this is still his rookie year no matter how you look at it.

I'm not sure of our other options though. Sam Adams is just too old, I wouldn't have wanted him on this team and I'm glad we didn't sign him. I hope we can get something worked out for Jenkins though for some DL depth.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

What is impressive about AC is the way he carries that 300+lbs, most NT tackles you see are sloppy 300lbers. I believe most NT coming out of college that are 300+lbs are not in great shape, at least not for a grueling NFL schedule, add in the speed of the game changing & you can see why alot of NT fail or are slow on progressing to the next level. 300 lbs is a lot of weight to be carry around let alone to be physically dominating with it over the course of a season. AC is in great shape. I don't see to many OL that are going to wear him down thru the course of a game, in fact AC will be wearing down OL with his size, strength & speed. The only thing AC needs to be a pro bowl caliber NT is technique & a little time, the tools are all there.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

He was a much safer bet than Branch, and more of an NT than Harrell.
    I'll buy the former, but the latter remains to be seen. I understand that they picked Carriker because his technique was supposed to be better than any of the other defensive linemen, particularly use of his hands. His overall package of skills is probably better than Harrell's since Carriker also has an arsenal of pass rush moves, but whether he's actually more of a NT than Harrell at this point is really questionable.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Life View Post
    Why they would draft a DE to play DT and expect him to solve all the run problems is beyond me.
    Two things of note here:

1) We're not talking about a typical defensive end. It's not as if they're taking a 260-lbs rush end and trying to make him a tackle. We're talking about a defensive lineman. Carriker has experience all over the defensive line. Furthermore, it's also about the skill set. Does he have the skills needed to be able to excel at the position, and I think the answer is yes. Refer back to his excellent upper body strength, good hand use, ability to keep his pads low and win the leverage game.

2) Who was the one who said that Carriker is expected to solve all the Rams' run problems? I think you're exaggerating a bit on that one. That being said, he is a piece of the puzzle, but like every one player on a squad of eleven, he's only one piece. A mentality that one guy can completely turn around a squad's performance is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    Carriker seems like a relatively finished product to me...and right now he's not impacting the run game to the point desired out of the 13th overall pick.
    Maybe because right now it's June and no one's playing any games? Rather strange to talk about any kind of impact he's making to our run defense in early/mid summer, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    What is impressive about AC is the way he carries that 300+lbs, most NT tackles you see are sloppy 300lbers. I believe most NT coming out of college that are 300+lbs are not in great shape, at least not for a grueling NFL schedule, add in the speed of the game changing & you can see why alot of NT fail or are slow on progressing to the next level. 300 lbs is a lot of weight to be carry around let alone to be physically dominating with it over the course of a season. AC is in great shape. I don't see to many OL that are going to wear him down thru the course of a game, in fact AC will be wearing down OL with his size, strength & speed. The only thing AC needs to be a pro bowl caliber NT is technique & a little time, the tools are all there.
    And many would contend that his technique is strong already, especially in his ability to use his hands to control blockers.

I'm with you, though. Perhaps some believe that since Carriker isn't a fat 313 pounds, he's not a "clogger" and therefore is weaker against the run. I certainly think we need to get away from this mindset that you need a big fat Pat Williams if you want to stop the run. That's one direction to go, but not the only one.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Why would AC make a better DE than DT? At 315 lbs and limited moves as a DE, I seriously question why that is the focus.

What attracts me to AC is his speed compared to other DTs. The guy can move down the line of scrimmage and make a move upfield on stunts. If he can hold his position on rushing plays he will be the complete package. In 2008 he'll probably be playing at 325 so I don't see that as a problem.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

One of the things that I like most about Carriker is that he has shown throughout his football life that he puts the team ahead of himself. He did this in high school, at Nebraska, and now he is doing it with the Rams. If anything else, I hope this attitude rubs off on the rest of the defense; that alone can make a difference. Now is he going to fix our run problems? No. But he can help and who knows, given some time he could turn into a Pro Bowl DT.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Rexi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'll buy the former, but the latter remains to be seen. I understand that they picked Carriker because his technique was supposed to be better than any of the other defensive linemen, particularly use of his hands. His overall package of skills is probably better than Harrell's since Carriker also has an arsenal of pass rush moves, but whether he's actually more of a NT than Harrell at this point is really questionable.
    I'll agree with this post. I don't know, I just don't see Carriker in the NT role in the NFL. Maybe because he isn't a giant Pat Williams (a fantastic NT BTW) but you need major weight on your side to play the position along with the strength you already have. Also, the mindset and mental toughness to take on multiple blockers every play is important. It's a tough position to play, and I'm not sure how Carriker will adapt.

Maybe at times Carriker can play NT, but putting him there as his normal position would be a stupid move IMO.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i think every single rams fan hopes the best for AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast