Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I hope Carriker helps stuff the run...

There is no doubt that Carriker at NT is a gamble, but he just seems like one of those guys that can pretty much do whatever he puts his mind to, and he appears to have accepted his new role with an attack mentality. I can't wait to see what he can do on the field.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    I agree with you whole heartedly man-- Carriker's high motor/developed technique seem better suited for DE than DT. If he was going to be used in the Wistrom role for you guys opposite Little, I'd like the pick a lot more.

But I can't ever see him being the monster clogger you guys need. I don't know much about what Wroten's got, but I think Branch or Harrell would have been closer to the type of guy that could really develop into the key run stuffer to shore up the Rams defense.

Carriker seems like a relatively finished product to me...and right now he's not impacting the run game to the point desired out of the 13th overall pick. Branch seems to have that potential to me though, if he isn't a total couch potato as the rumors indicate. Personally, I think Arizona got a steal.
    I see Branch as the "JK" of the Cards, the guy will not live up to the hype.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

I'm afraid your right. Unless the Rams can get Jenkins and put him along side Carriker. Carriker would be a better UT IMO, but with Glover there and Carriker at the nose they still look weak against the run with the Rams small LB's.

I would have been happy with Sam adams or Ken Vincent, both true NT's. But the Rams passed on them then traded Kennedy so there must be a plan. If they start the year with the group they have, i will be shocked.
    So you'd be happy with over weight, unproductive, high priced DT's than with a young gun who will do what it takes to make an impact? He hasn't even played a game, yet you assume he can't stop the run?

I'm glad you're not the DC.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I see Branch as the "JK" of the Cards, the guy will not live up to the hype.
    Well there's not much hype now, after he fell to the second round.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I'm with you, though. Perhaps some believe that since Carriker isn't a fat 313 pounds, he's not a "clogger" and therefore is weaker against the run. I certainly think we need to get away from this mindset that you need a big fat Pat Williams if you want to stop the run. That's one direction to go, but not the only one.
    300 lbs of fat and 300 lbs of lean muscle are not the same. As was pointed out, I think AC will have the stamina to stay on the field longer than most DT's.

RealRam is offline Registered User

300 lbs of fat and 300 lbs of lean muscle are not the same. As was pointed out, I think AC will have the stamina to stay on the field longer than most DT's.
    By all means! That certainly seems to be the case with AC. Whether he stops building at 310 or at 315 lbs., I think this young Ram will be a STOP. He is a very strong athlete (expressed even by the modest man himself), and his use of hands as a DL is becoming a well known ability already. His big guns are known tackling weapons too, rugged forearms and all.

Technique in the case of Carriker's outlook is the edge, not his size. Adding a big body to that is yet another advantage, obviously. Yes -- he still has to prove all of this on the field when the moment of truth comes but, to me, it's just great to know we have one of the most promising DL rookies in the league.

And he's excited to make it happen.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    .......he isn't a giant Pat Williams (a fantastic NT BTW) but you need major weight on your side to play the position along with the strength you already have ......
    I see Pat Williams listed as 6'-3" 317. The weight probably is low, but still.....I don't get it. AC will be around 315 by training camp. I would think AC's ability to anchor himself and hold his position would be more important than the ...what, 25 pounds he is lacking compared to a giant Pat Williams.

I looked at those pictures of him. Other than his obvious impressive stature, I am awed by those triceps and those shoulders & forearms. Having worked my own extensively, the excercises needed to develope those guns, the apparent strength......he'll be able to stick his paws in and stick em to people. Just can't wait to see guys try to knock those arms and paws out or up.

JK had major weight on his side...........quite honestly, I wasn't impressed. Maybe Pat has a little more than just weight going for him.
    Semper Fi!

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

So you'd be happy with over weight, unproductive, high priced DT's than with a young gun who will do what it takes to make an impact? He hasn't even played a game, yet you assume he can't stop the run?

I'm glad you're not the DC.
    No. I want the Rams to win. Not get run over by other teams 3rd string RB's. All i'm saying is asking a DE to play NT is a bit of a stretch. I would like them to stop the run, but don't think they will. I'm not saying Carriker isn't good against the run. I'm saying it remains to be seen if he will be a good NT.

RealRam is offline Registered User

4life, after what our defense went through last year ... your concern is legit. And it is supported by your honest desire to see the Rams win.

I for one -- and it's good to see I'm not alone on this -- just feel that an individual as big, intelligent (academically + football smart)*, and as eager as AC is at this point ... is bound to succeed sooner than later in the NFL. And I'm just elated that his NFL team happens to be the St. Louis Rams!

Is he the next Merlin Olsen? No one can say that, of course (incidentally, Olsen played at 6-5, 275 but DL were generally smaller 35, 40 years ago and that's another story). At 6-6 310, Adam Carriker, taking into consideration his usage of hands, his strength* and his intangibles -- commitment, desire, will -- he just has all the traits to succeed. As I said in the previous post, sure, he still has to walk the talk but it certainly seems to me that he's already been taking the right first steps!

A couple of weeks ago RamsFan16 posted an Adam Carriker interview and/or a recent entry of his NFL Draft Diary. Music to my football ears! A mature, sincere young man that looks forward to taking the challenges of helping to improve a poor defense. He stands taller in this respect to a predecesor prospect, the Jimmy of four years ago, no question about it. AND AC has the advantage of learning from JK's mistakes which alone can be a very useful lesson.

Be of good cheer Rams4life: AC is here! :r

I hope this rookie will comfort your concerns soon and help you become a believer in him. Many of us are on this bandwagon along with Rams coaches and players too. They will want to support him all they can because the entire defense may benefit from him (along with improvements by virtue of other players as well; I'm not saying AC is the D's savior [HOF Merlin Olsen never won a SB in all his 15 Pro Bowler years with the Rams]).

PS: Another trait - Adam is apparently a good listener; you have to be when you do so well in college*. That suits me fine, seeing him being mentored by La'Roi Glover and other vets. Negatives? He's not the exception to having areas to improve on. Rookies and veterans alike always try to improve their skills, IF they are honest [see aphorism at bottom]. I believe Rams No. 90 is one sincere, honest man.

*.- The team's 2004 Lifter of the Year, not only does Carriker have impressive strength and an imposing frame, but has also excelled in the classroom. He is a three-time All-Big 12 Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll member. -- Source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/carriker_adam
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-14-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typing

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

All i'm saying is asking a DE to play NT is a bit of a stretch.
    Absolutely. Asking a DE like Little, Freeney, Strahan, even a big DE like Peppers to play 4-3 NT would be a stretch. However, that's not what we're talking about here. The Nebraska front 7 was a very flexible group; and yes, their base package had Carriker as a 4-3 DE. However, their scheme had Carriker rushing the edge, playing the 5-technique, the UT, the NT, and even the 3-4 NT.

Linehan isn't asking an edge rusher like the 260-lb Little to make this transition. We're talking about a 315-lb'er who actually has as much experience on the inside as he does outside.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

AC reminds me a lot Richard Seymour, strong, athletic and versatile. I hope he'll be this kind of player. He can play wherever on the line and allows a lot of package on defense. I can't wait to see him playing !
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

GoRams39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    AC reminds me a lot Richard Seymour, strong, athletic and versatile. I hope he'll be this kind of player. He can play wherever on the line and allows a lot of package on defense. I can't wait to see him playing !
    yeah lets just hope for the rams sake that hes not another bust like kennedy...and those types of players...but yeah AC has alot of potential...i see nothing but good things coming from him this year

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think we should all take a moment to classify-

Carriker may have played DE in college, but his experience, and willingness to experience- stretches above and beyond, from all accounts.

I'd like to put forward the motion that we no longer refer to Carriker in the 'Collegiate DE' sense.

When speaking about the past, or his future prospects, I think it's much more just, based on potential, and experience for Adam Carriker, DE to be referred to as Adam Carriker, DL

z.nrd Guest

Here's what I got out of reading around on Carriker. I'm just going to spell it out, even though a lot of it is obvious.

He played base end in a 3/4...base end, meaning he always lined up on the strongside and his job was to occupy double-teams. He also moved inside in 4/3 packages, both in obvious pass rushing situations and in goal line and short yardage sets. His position coach stressed hand usage and the technical side of enaging blockers, and he is pretty sophisticated at that for a rookie.

He is naturally strong and incredibly quick for his size (his 4.18 3 cone shuttle, which measures quickness and explosion, was better than the top running backs in this year's draft).

So what we got here is a 6'6" 313 guy who is naturally strong, cat-quick, a student of the game who works on mastering technique, and a player's player type whose college career already showed some of his versatility. On top of that, the words "takes" "downs" and "off" never appear within the same square mile, let alone the same sentence, when scouts and pundits discuss his college play (unless they are also accompanied by the word "never"). It;s true they have not played a down yet. Still, AT THIS STAGE, all that is pretty doggone unbelievable.

Personally, I can't believe we ever debated the possibility of drafting anyone else.

On top of that, there has not been pre-camp buzz on a Rams draft pick like this since Holt. And before that....um....probably, Dickerson. And I mean from the coaches. Who keep saying all the right things ("time will tell, it's a long road, so far so good but there's a lot to learn still")....but underneath all that are just ready to bust with positive energy when they talk about the guy.

I think it's safe to say at this point that he compares favorably to guys of a similar physical build who play or can play DT: Henderson, Seymour, Stroud, Holliday, Haynesworth, and Kv. Williams. And guys from the past like Howie Long, Leon Lett, Dave Butz, Bill Pickel, and Doug English. (Interestingly, both English <6-5> and Pickel <6-5> played NT in their careers.)

And then there's Ryan, whose physical build and skills sound eerily like what you find if you go back and read up on Barry Cofield, the Giants rookie NT last year. And Jackson has positive features too.

So right now so far, there is some completely warranted cause for optimism.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -06-15-2007 at 07:01 AM.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by z.ndr
    He also moved inside in 4/3 packages
    Actually, Cryer and Dagundaro were the base tackles in the 4/3. Carriker and Moore were the 4/3 ends. However, you're point is accurate and still the same. His versatility is incredible. He has seen experience at EVERY position on the D-line.

I like Bar-bq's suggestion. It's misleading to call Carriker anything other than simply a DL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12