throwback week

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I hope the Rams go 4-12.

Not exactly. Just thought that might get your attention. Honestly, I don't think the post-season is an option anymore. Here's the NFC, as we speak (or type, you know what I mean):

1. Seattle 7-2 West
    2. Carolina 7-2 South
    3. Giants 6-3 East
    4. Bears 6-3 North
    5. Falcons 6-3 WC
    6. Bucs 6-3 WC
    -----------------------------------------------
    7. Cowboys 5-3
    8. Redskins 5-4
    9. Eagles 4-4
    10. Lions 4-5
    11. Vikings 4-5
    12. Rams 4-5

Granted, that's only 2 games out, but that's a whole lot of teams to leap-frog. Maybe 10-6 makes the playoffs, but it looks like 11-5 will be the only sure thing, and then means running the table for the last 7. Folks, we all saw the game yesterday. As much as I love'em, we don't have a team that can run a 7 game streak.

In theory
    We should play rookies and experiment from here on out. If there are FAs that we know we're not resigning, keep them off the field. Put guys on the field that we haven't seen much of. Make the final 7 games an incubator to develop our youth for next year. Not to mention, with every loss, we slide up the draft charts.

In reality
    They're still the Rams, and there is no way, I say again, no way, that I'm going to wish a loss on them.

My head tells me the season is over, but my heart just ain't listenin'.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: I hope the Rams go 4-12.

I think this team may still win 8-10 games. With the right stars aligned, they may even make the playoffs.

My lament is that, even if they squeeze into the postseason, does anyone really see this defense as having Championship potential? I sure don't.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I will say this the other teams that have better records also have a lot tougher schedules down the stretch. We do have a chance and there isnt a team we would face in the playoffs that strikes fear into me. When the Rams are clicking they are a scary team, crappy defense or not. Yesterday, obviousley seattle was the better team. Im not counting this team out because they could win 3 or 4 in a row because of how the schedule looks. The is not but 1 game that jumps out at me as a possible glaring loss and it's @the cowboys last game of the season. Now if we go out and lose to the Texans in two weeks then yes we a are done.
    Just Fix It

theodus69 Guest

That's the same way I felt last year. It was a worthless attempt for what? I don't know. Anyway my thought is this and it is the biggest IF ever. IF the Rams can go off and win 7 straight games, then they are in the playoffs with momentum, But don't forget ,they have the easiest schedule left in football. 7-0 gets you to the playoffs , but that is one BIG IF if'n I ever seen one!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I think this team may still win 8-10 games. With the right stars aligned, they may even make the playoffs.
    Agreed.

even if they squeeze into the postseason, does anyone really see this defense as having Championship potential?
    The offense is just as bad if not worse at this point.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Its a different kind of bad, though. The offense CAN play well, but does not do so often enough. The defense CAN'T play well because there's not enough talent.

Not sure which is worse, but they are different.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Its a different kind of bad, though. The offense CAN play well, but does not do so often enough. The defense CAN'T play well because there's not enough talent.

Not sure which is worse, but they are different.
    I would agree with you on that Av.

I would say it was too soon to bring in Bruce and Holt as #1 and #2 this week. It looked like their timing was off. A little slow still. Vitt and Fairchild should have noticed that right away. On the sure TD that Holt was out of position on, he looked like a "deer in the headlights. I think if Curtis and McDonald would have been #1 and #2 their speed would have made those plays making it a different game. The offense can play better than they did.

The defense has alot of problems across the board. Unless some changes are made in the scheme and starting personnel we will continue to be an OC's dream. We have to stay in our base defense to stop the run. It doesn't matter how many DB's we have in the secondary. We can't defense a pass to save our life. Our front seven need to stop overpursuing and stay in their gaps. Fisher should come in only when granny bison is injured, cut him after this season. We need to start Bartell and get Atogwe some playing time. We need to pickup a shutdown corner and/or safety as well as a playmaking LB in the upcoming draft or F/A if the price is right. That will go a long way towards improving the defense. Also, I know I'm not the only one to say that Marmie should be replaced.
    Last edited by viper; -11-14-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Haterade Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    My lament is that, even if they squeeze into the postseason, does anyone really see this defense as having Championship potential? I sure don't.
    I would question if this defense is good enough to win down the stretch. On multiple 3rd and 1's, the Seahawks were able to convert 3 times on the final drive before scoring a TD to put the game out of reach.

Being down only 8 points at the time, the Rams needed the ball desperately and their defense just let the Seahawks filter through.

I find it very hard to believe that a defense that ranks so poorly would be able to turn their team around to go on a 7 game winning streak to vie for a playoff spot.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

the 3rd and 1 conversions don't haunt me as much as the 3rd and 8's.

This defense just doesn't seem to be capable of winning by itself....unless it's the Cardinals we are playing.

Wait, who's next on the schedule?

Ahh, the Cardinals. Well, no time like the present to get healthy.

Haterade Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    the 3rd and 1 conversions don't haunt me as much as the 3rd and 8's.

This defense just doesn't seem to be capable of winning by itself....unless it's the Cardinals we are playing.

Wait, who's next on the schedule?

Ahh, the Cardinals. Well, no time like the present to get healthy.
    Agreed. You guys seemed to be rolling in the first half, converting a lot of 3rd and longs. What happened to your red-zone offense?

bruce_wannabe Guest

hey there still is 7 games to go people... anything can happen... out of the last 7 games, the only games that scare me is the philly game and the dallas game.... all the other games we have a legimate shot of winning... the rams were 1 and 5 in the red zone people.. .we change that and we're 6-3 on the season...