Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I just came across this stat and it amazed me...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I just came across this stat and it amazed me...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    The stat you actually want is Routes Run. Then you'd get a better comparison between the two. Just because Kendricks was targeted 64 times doesn't mean he was blocking on every other snap. A stat like targets per routes run would be more indicative of their contribution in the passing game.
    Actually, targets was exactly the stat I was looking for. I'm not overly interested in what he was doing in his non-targeted snaps. Maybe he was blocking, maybe he was running a route. Either way, he wasn't attempting to move the ball down the field. Therefore, it still concerns me a little that Cook was not more productive with the opportunities he had. At least compared to Kendricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Lets take a larger sample to see the production difference.

Last two years.

Lance Kendricks
    GP 31 REC 70 TGTS 123 YDS 871 TD 4

Jared Cook
    GP 29 REC 93 TGTS 154 YDS 1282 TD 8

I think it's fair to say if the Rams use Cook and get him 125 TGTS he can get 1000 yards 8 TDs.

I agree with TheBritishRam, that TGTS only is not the complete picture.
    Certainly no stat is the entire picture, but targets is a very large piece. And I agree it's fair to say that if the Rams get Cook 125 targets that he would get 1,000 yards. But is it fair to say that the Rams will get him 125 targets?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

What does this stat mean?

Three words: Rams Gronkowski & Hernandez
    RealRam and TekeRam like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    The stat you actually want is Routes Run. Then you'd get a better comparison between the two. Just because Kendricks was targeted 64 times doesn't mean he was blocking on every other snap. A stat like targets per routes run would be more indicative of their contribution in the passing game.
    Seems more relevant to me. Blocking assignments are important but they don't mean a player is less of a threat or less productive.

Cook hasn't shown great production but that needs to be adjusted by their lack of QB talent also. Of course people that thought Jake Locker was a better prospect than Bradford will have a difficult time arguing he's now a lesser talent.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Actually, targets was exactly the stat I was looking for. I'm not overly interested in what he was doing in his non-targeted snaps. Maybe he was blocking, maybe he was running a route. Either way, he wasn't attempting to move the ball down the field. Therefore, it still concerns me a little that Cook was not more productive with the opportunities he had. At least compared to Kendricks. Certainly no stat is the entire picture, but targets is a very large piece. And I agree it's fair to say that if the Rams get Cook 125 targets that he would get 1,000 yards. But is it fair to say that the Rams will get him 125 targets?
    I can think of 35 million reason why they better. If the Rams don't feature Cook week in and week out then they made a huge investment for nothing IMO.

I have to believe that the Rams have a plan to get the most out of Cook. I can't imagine Cook not being the starting slot WR and also line up in as TE, RB and outside at wide-out. I see Cook as our number one and that includes whoever we draft.

Well see if he can deliver.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There are a lot of ways of looking at this from a statistical standpoint. You can consider that Cook played in only 13 games last year (projected to 16 games, his stats would be 54 receptions, 644 yards, 5 TDs).

You can also look at Kendricks' higher receptions/targets ratio as being merely the expected outcome when you have a more accurate primary QB (Bradford 59.5 Locker 56.4).

To me, the key is having both players. Kendricks can play the more traditional TE role, allowing Cook to be more of a WR/TE hybrid. In that role, I think Cook has the ability to excel, and obviously FIsher and Snead share this opinion.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Our version of Gronkowski and Hernandez and I'd argue that--and maybe even as early as this year--this TE group will be better, perhaps the best in the NFL.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    I can think of 35 million reason why they better. If the Rams don't feature Cook week in and week out then they made a huge investment for nothing IMO.
    And there it is. I, too, assume that Fisher and Schott have a plan that will create more opportunities for Cook than the Titans. And surely we can all agree that Bradford > Locker and/or Hasslebeck. And hopefully, those assumptions will equate to realized-potential for Cook.

But I still can't shake the similarities between the production of Kendricks and Cook.

Maybe I'm just feeling a little pessimistic today.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Cook's role in St. Louis isn't all that different from what he had in Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Cook's role in St. Louis isn't all that different from what he had in Tennessee.
    Huh? He hasn't played yet in St. Louis.

I think the primary difference in the role will be that he will be on the field far more than 56% of the snaps on offense.

He was the non-blocking TE (primarily) in Tennessee.
    He'll be the non-blocking TE in St. Louis.

The idea he can line up at WR is speculative. I'd have to know how often he operated out of the slot and WR position prior to now to make a speculation he has that ability. It's easy to say he can do it, it's another to actually have that ability. When we look at rookies in the draft, ability and experience at going through the route tree is a major factor. What proof do we have Cook has the ability to run a WR route tree?

The idea he can line up at WR is speculative. I'd have to know how often he operated out of the slot and WR position prior to now to make a speculation he has that ability. It's easy to say he can do it, it's another to actually have that ability. When we look at rookies in the draft, ability and experience at going through the route tree is a major factor. What proof do we have Cook has the ability to run a WR route tree?
    Some guys who know a lot about football thought it was worth investing a lot of money on the belief that he can excel in this role. For now, that's good enough for me.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The idea he can line up at WR is speculative
    . I'd have to know how often he operated out of the slot and WR position prior to now to make a speculation he has that ability. It's easy to say he can do it, it's another to actually have that ability. When we look at rookies in the draft, ability and experience at going through the route tree is a major factor. What proof do we have Cook has the ability to run a WR route tree?
    By Mike Sando

The St. Louis Rams have signed a slot receiver in free agency. Jared Cook is his name. He's a tight end, but as the chart shows, Cook made 36 of his 42 receptions last season after lining up in the slot -- a consideration as we weigh contingencies for the Rams possibly losing slot receiver Danny Amendola in free agency.

Amendola made 51 of his 62 catches from the slot, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He's much smaller, quicker and shiftier than Cook, discouraging across-the-board comparisons. But it's important to differentiate the receiving production Cook offers from the production a traditional in-line tight end would typically offer.

The key question: To what degree does Cook's addition cover the Rams if Amendola signs elsewhere? We should note that Rams receiver Austin Pettis had 25 receptions for 228 yards and two touchdowns from the slot last season. Tight end Lance Kendricks had 15 receptions for 156 yards and a score from the slot.

None of those players is likely to give the Rams exactly what Amendola gave them on third down in particular. But with the flexibility Cook provides, I can see why the Rams aren't breaking the bank to keep Amendola, especially in light of injury concerns.

The Rams' newest slot receiver is a TE - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Go to the 11:22 mark and you can see Cook line up at wide-out, top of the screen and be very effective.

Not sure if you have read anything about Cook but the fact is he played WR last year. There is plenty of evidence he did that.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    RealRam likes this.

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

I just came across this stat and it amazed me...

Never impressed with Cook. Why do you guys think he was on the field only a little over half the time last year? Comparing him to Gronkowski is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by MoStateRam View Post
    Never impressed with Cook. Why do you guys think he was on the field only a little over half the time last year?
    Why did Wes Welker average 48 receptions/year with Miami and then go on to average 112 receptions/year with the Patriots?

Different QB?
    Different scheme?
    Different role?
    Improvement with age?

The bottom line is that the Rams' Front Office believe that Cook has untapped potential.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoStateRam View Post
    Never impressed with Cook. Why do you guys think he was on the field only a little over half the time last year? Comparing him to Gronkowski is laughable.
    The 'comparison' here I think is more as in the "R A M S Gronkowski" and not saying or even thinking that Cook is a Gronkowski equivalent already.

Cook is in our kitchen but still being groomed to become a Masterchef.
    Rambos likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12