Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I just figured out who the best player in the NFL is...

RamJackson39 Guest

Re: I just figured out who the best player in the NFL is...

Im not freaking out over the lack of free agent signings, but I would have liked to see at least one position of need filled. Safety was a need, but it was a need that was created by the team releasing Atogwe. The bigger issue is that we havent added anyone through free agency to really help Bradford. We have a plethora of small, fast receivers that havent done much and it almost looks like the team isnt doing enough to add talent around him. Sure we drafted two receivers, but neither of those guys has the talent to ever be a true number one receiver.

While its true that you dont have to go out and sign a "big name", you need to look somewhat interested to keep your fan base intrigued. And I think that is whats causing the panic. The Rams came so close to the playoffs only to fall short because of dreadful wide receivers, a lack of push in the middle of the offensive line, and no serious threat to spell Steven Jackson. Months later and you cannot say that any of that has been improved.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Great post and I whole heartedly agree. The only guy I kinda' wanted was Sproles, but not heartbroken at all.

That said, I DO wonder why we haven't either released or resigned our R/UR free agents.

We've had plenty of time to think evaluate them it , and even with the "no contact with agents", they should know at this point who they're not getting FA wise, and could at least get that out of the way.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Great post and I whole heartedly agree. The only guy I kinda' wanted was Sproles, but not heartbroken at all.

That said, I DO wonder why we haven't either released or resigned our R/UR free agents.

We've had plenty of time to think evaluate them it , and even with the "no contact with agents", they should know at this point who they're not getting FA wise, and could at least get that out of the way.
    I would think most of the restricted guys will be re-signed but surely you want The Rams to focus on & go after the bigger fish with the most financial bait they can first,no? I don't think teams have to be under the cap until next Thursday(Aug 4). Maybe some of the names we had on our minds have been hooked but I think there are still plenty of options already on the market & will be more now that teams have to make room for their new catches.

I think this thing will have life through the first few days of camp. Newly-acquired vet FAs can't even practice until Aug 4 & I think that was deliberately to keep the market from turning into a chaotic frenzy in these first few days.There are dozens, if not hundreds, of young vet FAs out there(remember all those 4 yr guys denied last year PLUS a new crop come of age) & there have been what? Maybe 10-15 big moves.

Not sayin' The Rams will be making any big moves but this thing ain't over.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Harvey Dahl.... pretty solid move, huh?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Harvey Dahl.... pretty solid move, huh?
    And a rumor of an offer to Mebane..ask and ye shall receive. If that can happen with a couple new LB's Devaney will have gotten me everything on my early Christmas list

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Interesting note:

Not that Peter King's word is gospel, but of his Top 50 Free Agents list in Sports Illustrated, the Rams have now signed two: Mikell (#32) and Dahl (#19).

Maybe its time to accept that this is not the old Rams front office. This version is not only making smart, patient moves... they are getting their share of the top players available.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    If you're rebuilding, you should act like teams that win. The Rams might not make a Super Bowl push this year, but their approach is an efficient way to build a consistent winner. So, only the Super Bowl winner, 1 out of 32 teams, should be allowed to take this approach? The Green Bay Packers are the epitome of building through the draft and not over-spending in free agency.

"Apparent" is the key word. Do you really think the Rams are worrying about Sidney Rice when Tarvaris Jackson is the one throwing him the ball? Doubt it.
    Obviously they've excellerated quite a bit since my last post. At that time they had only signed Quintin Mikell.

And yes, if the goal is to be the Superbowl winner at the end of the year, a sense of urgency should be the call of the day for every team not currently in possession of the Lombardi trophy. Obviously, to varying degrees depending on how far away you actually are.

And no, I don't think the Rams are what you call, worried right now. That won't start until they line'em up. And then you can bet, there will be plenty concern to go around.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -07-30-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's look at that.

Seattle - yes, they have added Sydney Rice and Robert Gallery. But they also went from Matt Hasselbeck to Tarvaris Jackson. I'd say that's a downgrade at the most important position. They also signed Alan Branch, but could lose Brandon Mebane.

San Francisco - They lost Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson, David Baas and Nate Clements, and are dealing with a potential holdout from Frank Gore and a 4-6 week injury to Michael Crabtree. Who have they signed?

Arizona - they have a new QB in Kevin Kolb, but he has 9 fewer career starts than Sam Bradford, so he's hardly a proven commodity. They've lost Alan Branch, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Steve Breaston.

Seems that the grass isn't much greener elsewhere.
    That remains to be seen.

But since my last post the Rams have actually done what you'd expect a team in their position to do.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Good post Avenger, but I feel like we played this entire scenario out all last year as well. With the demands to pay a king's ransom for vjax, and to take up all our cap space and cash for fat albert, as well as the outrage over every player who chose not to play for the Rams, as if it was the management's fault, when they can't force a guy who is a free agent to play here.

So Seattle added a flashy name who produced good results when he was A) Healthy B)Had a hall of fame QB having the best year of his career throwing to him and C) Had Percy Harvin across from him taking the heat off. Outside of having all three of those things at once, he hasn't produced. I'm not going to sweat it until he gets good numbers with Tavaris Jackson throwing to him again, something that didn't work out very well for him before.

So the *****....resigned a guy who sucked? Are we honestly upset about that? They haven't done jack. They do have some talent on the team, and their big addition is Harbaugh, but I don't think they've wheeled and dealed into the division favorites by not doing anything.

And Arizona added a guy who managed to play his way out of a starting role in Philly after having it handed to him on a silver platter. I mean, I guess it's not his fault, I hear DeSean Jackson and Maclin are only ok, average #3 type guys, right?

People sometimes get too caught up in names and not results. Rice hasn't proven anything past his one year, Kolb hasn't proven anything, and Smith hasn't proven anything. Those are about the only major additions (or retentions) of our rivals, there is no need to freak out over their moves vs. ours.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    And no, I don't think the Rams are what you call, worried right now. That won't start until they line'em up. And then you can bet, there will be plenty concern to go around.
    If you say so. The Rams have a tough schedule, but so does everyone else in the NFC West. I don't expect it to be pretty. The top goal is to win the NFC West for now, and go from there. I do think the Rams are building a solid team, piece by piece, and they will be competitive. I just don't want them to act desperate right now. They might not be world-beaters this year, but I have little doubt they'll be serious contenders in the near future.

I do agree with the rest of your post, though. I see where you're coming from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12