Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: i just heard Merlin Olsen has died..

a sad day in Ramsnation,a truly great Ram,I also had the privledge of meeting him with the rest of the fearsome foursome a few years back,all were really nice guys but you could see some of the intensity that they played with start to come out when they talked about how the game was back then, my thoughts go out to the Olsen family and thanks for memories Merlin.

RealRam is online now Registered User

...By their fruits ye shall know them. -Mt. 7:20

It's very nice to see all the Clan eulogies above -- and below -- for we have indeed lost a great Ram and a very good man. Thanks for the video PoeJoe. And for the thread, Ramblin' Ram.

Merlin Olsen was one of the first and main reasons I became attracted to the L.A. Rams in the early 60s (other reasons: 1965 uniform, Deacon, Gabriel, etc.). I idolized the formidable Fearsome Four, No. 74 among several other jersey numbers. Whether defending and tackling in foursome or individual mode, Olsen really was a fine, even-keeled warrior, an aggressive, strong and most able DT; yet always... a very good man.

A retro look at Merlin's attributes by NFL Films states he was "a coach's dream". No wonder he was legitimately selected to the Pro Bowl 14 consecutive years. No wonder he was named Rookie of the Year (1962). All pro, all business, all the way.

What a privilege it was to be for us that he donned and kept the battle gear of the bighorn. His entire NFL career of 15 seasons was loyal to the Rams; over 200 games, countless plays of greatness that were not captured by film but made a solid and true HOF impact. The man stood tall and tough.

As his number was retired many years ago, now we see him retired altogether but, nonetheless, present in the elite shrine of football legends and of men of honor. A respectful Rams salute to one of the all-time greatest. My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

From the Pro Football Hall of Fame site.

Merlin Olsen was a coach's player. Punctual, steady, gifted, a quiet leader, a player you could always count on. He was a standout as a rookie and thereafter stood out in every game he played for the Rams in a 15- year career. Every game. Fifteen years.

As a rookie Olsen was voted into the Pro Bowl. And in the winters that followed they never played a Pro Bowl without him for 14 consecutive years. Ten times he was selected a first- or second-team All-Pro. Merlin came to the Rams as one of their two first round draft choices in 1962.

He had the physical qualifications of the best-ever defensive tackles of the day, as evidenced by the fact that he won the Outland Trophy as a collegian at Utah State. But Merlin’s true strength may have been the intelligence he used in each game.

During the off-season he earned a master’s degree in economics. // ...He had as much to do as any other individual with glamorizing defensive football in the NFL.

Before the era of Olsen, and teammate and future Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones, this was an offensive league. Few fans talked knowledgeably about defense. Starting in the 1960s the Rams fielded one of the most famous of the front fours of that or any other time, the “Fearsome Foursome” of Jones, Olsen, Roosevelt Grier and Lamar Lundy. And the anchor and leader of the group was Olsen. He was the stabilizer in the middle that allowed the others to tee off on quarterbacks. Olsen kept order along the scrimmage line, often stopping the draw play himself or quickly identifying the screen pass.
    Footnote: The above quote from the PFHOF site mentions that, "It was Olsen's hard luck to perform for many mediocre teams in Los Angeles – he never won a Super Bowl...". I deleted this statement because it focuses only on the difficult years the Rams endured in the early - mid 60s. It fails to highlight, however, the fact that Merlin also played some of his best DT football from 1966-76, a period of great, outstanding Rams defense and overall team successes which confirmed and reaffirmed his quality and character.

Click on image...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i just heard Merlin Olsen has died..-merlin-olsen.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-12-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Image attachment

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Wow. Just came home ... to this. So sad. Merlin Olsen is a legend. R.I.P. my friend ... and thanks for the memories.

From The Fifth Down / The New York Times NFL Blog

March 11, 2010, 5:12 pm

Remembering Merlin Olsen, the Football Player
    By ANDY BARALL
    Andy Barall writes about pro football history for the Fifth Down.

Merlin Olsen died of cancer at age 69 on Thursday*.

At 6 feet 5 inches tall and 270 pounds, Merlin Olsen possessed tremendous natural size and strength. Unlike today’s players, he never lifted weights. He got bigger as a young man by, as he told Paul Zimmerman for “The New Thinking Man’s Guide to Pro Football,” “hefting hod and bucking bales of hay.” He added, “I also worked as a ranger in Yellowstone Park until visitors began mistaking me for a bear.”

Olsen was the model professional football player, and that included off the field. He was tough, smart, physical, durable, consistent and relentless. He didn’t take plays off and was always trying to improve. He didn’t need coaches to critique his performance. He was his own toughest critic.

The original Fearsome Foursome – Olsen, Deacon Jones, Rosey Grier and Lamar Lundy – helped popularize defensive football in the mid-1960’s (Grier was replaced by Roger Brown in 1967). Before the late 1950s, almost all of the N.F.L.’s biggest stars played offense. Many teams never even introduced their defensive players before the game. That started to change with Sam Huff, Andy Robustelli, Grier himself, and the success of the Giants in the late 50s and early 60s. It really took off in Los Angeles a few years later. The Fearsome Foursome were colorful characters who played with style and flair. Hollywood loved them.

At left tackle in the standard 4-3 defense, Olsen could always anchor-in against the run, both at the point of attack and in the gaps, especially to his left. Offenses frequently tried to take advantage of the quick upfield rush of Jones, the left defensive end, by running up inside him. Olsen was usually there to cover and fill.

In the 1960s, after running the power sweep a few times, the offense, at a key point in the game, would usually try the sucker play: pulling the guard and expecting the defensive tackle to follow while the running back found the vacated area. Against Olsen, he usually read the play immediately or recovered so quickly that it didn’t work. He was too smart, and had done too much preparation, to be fooled.

Early in his career, Olsen was a devastating pass-rusher. His favorite move was the basic bull-rush. He would pound and pound on a usually smaller guard, then supplement it with an additional tactic not available to today’s pass rushers: the head-slap. I even remember him occasionally using the double head-slap. Once the guard was softened up, Olsen would run a stunt to force that guard to block the unbelievably quick and fast Deacon Jones. Olsen and Jones embarrassed many an offensive lineman in the 1960s.

Most people know about the Fearsome Foursome, but Olsen also played on a great defensive line at the end of his career. Starting in 1973, he teamed with defensive ends Jack Youngblood and Fred Dryer and the underrated tackle Larry Brooks to form one of the N.F.L.’s best fronts for Chuck Knox’s Rams. At that point in his career, Olsen was more of a stay-at-home guy reading for draws and screens, and covering for the pass-rushers.

Merlin Olsen was one of the greatest and most respected players, and people, in N.F.L. history. He would have been, and later was, successful in any field he had pursued. Lucky for us, he chose pro football.

Extra point: The Times obituary by Richard Goldstein is here [link]. Roger Goodell released a statement: “Merlin Olsen was an extraordinary person, friend and football player. He was a tremendous Hall of Fame football player who then became an accomplished football broadcaster and actor. In recent years, it was an honor to work with Merlin on developing improvements for retired players. We all experienced how passionate and effective he was on that issue. He cared deeply about people, especially those that shared the game of football with him. Merlin was a larger-than-life person, literally and figuratively, and leaves an enormously positive legacy. On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our deepest sympathy to Merlin’s wife Susan and the Olsen family.”

*. - Some news sources indicate he died yesterday, March 10.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

101 espn had Conrad Dobler on to talk about facing off against Olson and how he got to know him as a player. Sounds like theyw eren't the best of friends and he had a really good story about the two of them getting into it at the pro bowl (and they were on the same team obviously!)

It's a good listen, i'm sure it's on 101espn.com if you want to look for it

rammiser is offline Registered User

Wow I didnt even know he was sick. Merlin actually gave a cleat to my highschool which they bronzed and fight over it with another high school here in Vegas. Just happens to be the same high school Steven Jackson played for, Eldorado. May he rest in peace, no more suffering from cancer.
    Just Fix It

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Rest in Peace, Merlin. You will always be remembered.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Tough to add to the great tributes and sentiments already posted- a great Ram, a credit to football and by all accounts a very nice individual off the field. Merlin was talented but also had the work ethic to match. Anytime you get those two qualities together, you have a truly special individual. Merlin's Hall of Fame induction and scores of honors throughout his great career serve as validation.

A truly sad day for Rams fans everywhere and a loss for the NFL.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Merlin Olsen was the very first football player I really remember, with Larry Wilson being a close second. Even though I really never got into football until I was much older, I think Merlin played a huge part in creating my love for the game. We were at the game in December when they honored him, and my kids were quiet during the ceremony. The youngest asked me about him after the game. I guess he really helped inspire two generations of Rams fans in this house.

R.I.P. Merlin.

Re: I just heard Merlin Olsen has died...

Comments by Jack Youngblood on one of his mentors, Merlin Olsen. And by Roger Goodell.

"He was ferocious and fearless on the football field and then the other probably more important aspect of his personality was he was a true gentleman,'' said fellow Hall of Famer Jack Youngblood, his teammate with the Rams in Los Angeles. "We all know what a wonderful, tremendous football player he was, but he was so much more than that.''

"He cared deeply about people, especially those that shared the game of football with him,'' NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Merlin was a larger-than-life person, literally and figuratively, and leaves an enormously positive legacy.''

Youngblood joined the Rams as a rookie in 1971, backing up Jones as Olsen continued to anchor the other side of the line. Youngblood remembered Olsen telling him as a young player to push to be great not just on every play, but with "every heartbeat.''

"When you stop and think of Merlin on the field, he accomplished things that will never be accomplished again,'' Youngblood said. "If it hadn't been for Merlin Olsen, I wouldn't have turned out to be the football player that he helped mold and make.''

Olsen at Youngblood's HOF induction, 2001.

Re: I just heard Merlin Olsen has died...

From the Rams official web site.

Rams Mourn the Loss of Merlin Olsen
    Thursday, March 11, 2010

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Rams legend Merlin Olsen died early Thursday morning after a long and courageous bout with cancer. He was 69.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Merlin Olsen," Rams owner/chairman Chip Rosenbloom said. "He was a towering figure both on and off the playing field, who lived as he played, with ferocity and determination. Merlin was the epitome of greatness, both on and off the football field. He was a Hall-of-Famer in every sense of the word, a legendary Ram who lived to the highest standards of personal and professional integrity. On behalf of my sister, Lucia, Stan Kroenke, and the entire Rams family, we mourn his passing, and our deepest condolences go out to the Olsen family."

Olsen's loss is felt throughout the league as well.

"Merlin Olsen was an extraordinary person, friend and football player," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "He was a tremendous Hall of Fame football player who then became an accomplished football broadcaster and actor. In recent years, it was an honor to work with Merlin on developing improvements for retired players. We all experienced how passionate and effective he was on that issue. He cared deeply about people, especially those that shared the game of football with him. Merlin was a larger-than-life person, literally and figuratively, and leaves an enormously positive legacy. On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our deepest sympathy to Merlin’s wife Susan and the Olsen family."

Olsen played 15 seasons in the NFL, all with the Rams, on his way to a Hall of Fame career that places him among the greatest to ever play.

The Rams drafted Olsen with the third pick in the 1962 NFL Draft. Olsen wasted no time making an impact, going to the Pro Bowl in his first season.

From there, Olsen went on to finish his career with 14 Pro Bowl appearances, made the all decade team for the 1960s and 1970s and was selected first or second team all pro on 10 occasions.

Olsen was elected to the Hall of Fame on Jan. 23, 1982 and was enshrined on Aug. 7 of the same year. Olsen's No. 74 has long been retired by the Rams.

In 1999, Sports Illustrated tabbed Olsen as the 25th greatest player in league history on its list of the top 100. The field at Utah State, Olsen’s alma mater, was named after him in December.

"Merlin Olsen is one of the best players in the history of the NFL," Rams general manager Billy Devaney said. "His passing is a tremendous loss for the Rams. He will always be remembered as an ambassador for the organization as well as the National Football League."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo agreed.

"I was saddened to hear about Merlin Olsen’s passing," Spagnuolo said. "His contributions to the NFL are well documented as a player and a broadcaster. He was a great competitor, an even better person and he will be missed."

For all of his many accomplishments, Olsen told stlouisrams.com in an interview in September that it was his membership in the Fearsome Foursome – the dominant defensive line that included Deacon Jones, Lamar Lundy and Rosey Grier - that he considered the crowning achievement of his career.

"I tell you from the very beginning I was very comfortable with Rosey and Lamar and Deacon and fitting in to what was a rather incongruous group if you happened to have been raised in a small northern Utah community," Olsen said at the time. "There was always an incredible bond between the members of the Fearsome Foursome. It was that which kept us and keeps us together. Whenever we got together it didn’t take more than a few minutes and the stories were flying and there’s laughter ringing out. It was like we had never been apart."

It was a sentiment echoed by Jones.

"It was a beautiful relationship," Jones said. "It shows you why we played the type of football we did because we could dominate anybody, it didn’t matter who it was. I don’t care what you do, we don’t care what you do on the field, we could defeat it. The coaches didn’t bother us, we just did what we wanted to do and it always worked."

Upon his retirement from football in 1976, Olsen went into a television career that had him working as an analyst on NFL games on NBC and later appeared on the shows "Little House on the Prairie" and "Father Murphy."

After being diagnosed with mesothelioma last year, Olsen had been undergoing treatment and chemotherapy for most of the past year.

That illness kept Olsen from being able to attend the Rams’ Dec. 20 game against Houston, where he was honored at halftime by the team. Olsen’s son and brother Phil attended in their father’s stead.

Olsen is survived by wife Susan, three children (Kelly, Jill and Nathan), four grandchildren and eight siblings.
    Click on image...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i just heard Merlin Olsen has died..-rams-defense14a.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-12-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Image

TheRammer Guest

It makes me happy to know we have one of the greatest football players of all time to be a Ram and something we all have to cherish and be proud of his aceivments..but Merlin as a person actually surpassed his play on the football field and that's a tall thing to say. May his family be releived of their greive...

1967RamsFan is offline Registered User

Merlin was my favorite Ram player when I was growing up. Every year he and Bob Lilly held down the tackle spots in the Pro Bowl. One of the greatest, if not the greatest defensive tackles to play the game! He was the Outland Trophy winner in college, NFL Rookie of the Year in 1964, Pro Bowl MVP in 1969 (that's an extremely rare honor for a tackle), elected to 14 consecutive Pro Bowls (still a record today) and NFL Player of the Year in 1974. Thanks for the memories Merlin. Your Legacy lives on!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Merlin is my all-time favorite Rams player, and of course, I also think he is the best player to ever wear the horns.

RIP Merlin Olsen - You will be missed. Those of us that had the pleasure of watching you play will never forget.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

It's a sad day. He is one of the biggest reasons I'm a Rams fan. Loved watching him play...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast