Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I just puked, and got very angry "Garrett on way to St. Louis"

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    He didn't have Romo
    Thank you.

Brad Johnson was horrible in that game - completed only 50% of his passes with three interceptions and a fumble that ended an early drive. QB rating of 45.5.

Go back and look at the play by play of that game. The Cowboys were efficient to start and scored a touchdown on their opening drive. Marion Barber achieved 45 of his 100 rushing yards as well as his only touchdown of the day on this initial drive. Felix Jones was inactive for the game.

On Dallas' subsequent drives, Johnson fumbled on third down to stall that series, threw a pick on their next series, and then Barber fumbled on the series after that. By that time, the score was 21-7 Rams.

Does he get a mulligan for not having Romo? No, but I don't think he dialed up three Johnson INTs in the gameplan either.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User
    They just showed Garrett on NFLN, it's coming up next (Schefter).

Schefter said that on Wednesday following Garrett's interview, they had scheduled this trip on Friday to St. Louis for a final follow-up interview to bring an end to everything they want to know. He added barring any unforeseen change they will enter into negotiations with him on becoming the next coach.

Oh my...
    Last edited by Nick; -01-16-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bald_81 View Post
    schefter said that on wednesday following garrett's interview, they had scheduled this trip on friday to st. Louis for a final follow-up interview to bring an end to everything they want to know. He added barring any unforeseen change they will enter into negotiations with him on becoming the next coach.

Oh my...
    gotta love those rams!!

troykan is offline Registered User

Smile Re: I just puked, and got very angry "Garrett on way to St. Louis"

Fellas, Dallas fan, Garrett is NOT Scott L., mark my words, he will turn your team around in short order.

d4nnystl539 is offline Registered User

The Rams could be on the verge of hiring Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett as their next head coach, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports.
    Garrett reportedly was on his way to St. Louis on Friday, possibly to finalize a deal with the club. The Rams said earlier in the week that they planned to have a head coach in place by Saturday.
    Rams believed to be ready to name Cowboys' Jason Garrett their new coach Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, is expected to be named coach of the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.
    Garrett was headed to St. Louis on Friday, SN contributor Mike Florio reports on his website.
    Wow, all this sounds pretty convincing. I really don't know what to think. Maybe it's a smoke screen? Hopefully Devaney knows what he is doing...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

The only thing Ill say, even though I am disappointed, is that I hope John Shaw was not at all involved in swaying Chip's decision on this. It has been evident he loves offensive minded coaches, I just hope he did not tamper with this search at all.

Furthermore, this does seem to go against Devaney's criteria of a "leader, hard-nosed" type coach like Spagnuolo or Frazier would be. Garrett seems like the exact opposite, IMO.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by troykan View Post
    Fellas, Dallas fan, Garrett is NOT Scott L., mark my words, he will turn your team around in short order.
    And if not, at least the locker room soap operas will keep generating publicity.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

This item is two below the bit about Garrett returning to Rams Park.

Adam Schefter
    Who’s next Rams coach? Depends on who you ask

Posted: January 16th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: NFL coaching search, St. Louis Rams
    At a time like this, information is free-flowing. Some of it is good, some not so much.
    The information passed along earlier this week was that Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was the favorite in St. Louis. The information that filled my BlackBerry last night was that Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett was the favorite.
    All of which probably means that Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will wind up with the job.
    However it works, the feeling on Frazier here no longer is as confident as it once was, and it’s an example of how fast things move at this time of year and how fluid information is.
    Different men have different ideas and different agendas. Just because one thing seems obvious doesn’t mean it is.
    Frazier still might end up with the Rams’ job. But so might Garrett or Spagnuolo or even Rex Ryan if he passed up the Jets’ opportunity.
    At a time like this, it’s better to stick with hard information than educated speculation.

let it play out.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thank you.

Brad Johnson was horrible in that game - completed only 50% of his passes with three interceptions and a fumble that ended an early drive. QB rating of 45.5.

Go back and look at the play by play of that game. The Cowboys were efficient to start and scored a touchdown on their opening drive. Marion Barber achieved 45 of his 100 rushing yards as well as his only touchdown of the day on this initial drive. Felix Jones was inactive for the game.

On Dallas' subsequent drives, Johnson fumbled on third down to stall that series, threw a pick on their next series, and then Barber fumbled on the series after that. By that time, the score was 21-7 Rams.

Does he get a mulligan for not having Romo? No, but I don't think he dialed up three Johnson INTs in the gameplan either.
    You are usually Mr. Possitve Nick, where do you see the silver lining here if Garrett is hired. I personally think he is not a good fit for this team right now.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    OMG, yea I'm sure Falcons fans thought the same about Mike Smith last year when he was hired but I bet they wouldn't trade him for anything right now.
    Wait I thought you said coaching didn't make a difference....

Quote Originally Posted by eauclare View Post
    If this happens, the big winner is John Shaw. Someone on this board said he would have nothing to do with it, but this would prove otherwise.

Devaney IMO just became another figure head.
    And how exactly do you draw that conclusion?
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -01-16-2009 at 08:27 PM.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

This better be a joke

I really though things we going to be good, now I don't know.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Update from Jim Thomas's blog:

Jason Garrett landed in St. Louis early Friday evening with his wife Brill, and told the Post-Dispatch that he was just here for a second interview and that no job had been offered.

Minutes earlier, en route to the airport, Devaney was singing the same tune.

“It’s part of the interview process,” Devaney insisted. “He wanted to look at the facility. We’re not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I’m not even going to say he’s the leading guy.”

Take that for what it’s worth, but Garrett is the only finalist to visit St. Louis. And he did have his wife with him. Devaney also said that he’d already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on who he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach.

Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision by Monday on the next Rams head coach.

Garrett and Devaney have a lot in common. They’re both from New Jersey. They’re both big Bruce Springsteen fans, and they’re both represented by the same agent _ David Dunn.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    The only thing Ill say, even though I am disappointed, is that I hope John Shaw was not at all involved in swaying Chip's decision on this.
    This I agree with. I can get behind Garrett if Devaney went through the search and determined that Jason was the best candidate out there for this team. But if Shaw's fingerprints are on this one and Devaney hadn't made his recommendation yet or seemed to be pushed into this one, it's not going to be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    This item is two below the bit about Garrett returning to Rams Park.
    That was posted here six hours ago, so it's outdated news it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    You are usually Mr. Possitve Nick, where do you see the silver lining here if Garrett is hired. I personally think he is not a good fit for this team right now.
    I'll just repeat what I said earlier in this post - I can get behind Garrett if Devaney went through the search and determined that Jason was the best candidate out there for this team.

I've liked what Devaney has done for the Rams since coming here. He's been a part of a successful coaching search before so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's in the room, and we're not, and ultimately that's where the decisions are made.

Doesn't guarantee it's going to be the right one, but I think Devaney certainly has a better chance than we fans do when it comes to evaluating and picking out a coaching candidate.

That said, if it turns out that Garrett is Shaw's recommendation, all bets are off...

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Update from Jim Thomas's blog:
    Thanks for that update, EDM!!
    Last edited by Nick; -01-16-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    It has been evident he loves offensive minded coaches, I just hope he did not tamper with this search at all.
    John shaw has been with the Rams close to 30 years. I would think that would be sufficient time to establish a 'pattern of' and 'love for' types of head coaches.

Please, could you run that evidence down for us over the course of Shaw's tenure?

Could you also indicate which head coaches were offensive and which were defensive minded?

And if it's still not too much to ask, could you give us the indicators that Shaw "loves" offensive minded coaches amongst the list of HCs during his tenure?

Thank you!

Truth is offline Registered User

My initial response to Garrett is not positive. However, since there is no way to ensure that any of the other candidates would be able to right this ship, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. We need to see improvement next season. I'm not talking playoffs or Superbowl (although I wouldn't complain), I'm talking about effort and attitude of the team. I want to see an 8-8 record (7-9 at worst). Given the division we play in, that should be do-able. Mostly I want to see effort and intensity all game, every game.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123