Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

I knew it! This is getting ugly! Cottrell a canidate

Rams | Cottrell reportedly could be a candidate
    Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:50:02 -0800

The Star Tribune reports former Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell is reportedly a candidate for a coaching position with the St. Louis Rams.

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Re: I knew it! This is getting ugly! Cottrell a canidate

Check out this article. It says it all... (got this off the real rams fans forum...sorry)

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/a...ings021105.php

No defense for Cottrell
    By Eric Krupka

On January 14, 2004 the Minnesota Vikings, in what has been a failed attempt to fix their defense, named Ted Cottrell the defensive coordinator. Cottrell came in to replace George O'Leary who left after only one season to take the head coaching job and the University of Central Florida. In O'Leary's one season at the helm, his defense was aggressive, and was first in the NFC and second in the NFL forcing 28 interceptions. Safeties Corey Chavous and Brian Russell had career years, with Chavous picking off 8 balls, and Russell tied for the league lead in interceptions with 9.

O'Leary's defense ranked 17th against the run, 26th against the pass, was ranked 23rd in total defense, and was third in the NFC with 35 takeaways. O'Leary left and Cottrell took over. Since Cottrell has taken over the defense, the Vikings have spent a lot of money to bring in better players. The Vikings signed cornerbacks Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot, safety Darren Sharper, linebacker Keith Newman, defensive tackle and prolific run stuffer Pat Williams. They traded for linebacker Sam Cowart. They drafted speed rushing defensive end Kenechi Udeze from USC, defensive end Darrion Scott from Ohio State, and linebacker Dontarrious Thomas out of Auburn.

Cottrell, with more talent than O'Leary ever dreamed of having, hasn't been able to come close to matching what O'Leary was able to do with the defense. In Cottrell's first season as defensive coordinator the Vikings posted a rush defense that ranked 21st, a pass defense ranked 29th, and a total defense ranked 26th. The defense only had 22 takeaways.

In this Cottrell's second season things haven't gotten any better. After seven games the rush defense is ranked 29th allowing 137.6 yards per game, the pass defense is ranked 23rd allowing 224 yards per game, and the total defense is ranked 27th allowing 361.6 yards per game.

If those numbers weren't bad enough, players are starting to question Cottrell's scheme and ability. One player in particular who has voiced his opinion is cornerback Antoine Winfield. Winfield mentioned how the team isn't aggressive enough, ripped Cottrell for not implementing the game plan they practiced all week, and ripped Cottrell for not making adjustments after Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith was shredding the Vikings pass defense.

Winfield is exactly right and that's the big problem with Cottrell. Cottrell isn't aggressive enough and often fails to make in-game adjustments. Steve Smith embarrassed fellow Viking cornerback Fred Smoot in last Sunday's game. There is no reason that the coaching staff shouldn't have made an adjustment to double cover or bracket cover Smith after he began torching Smoot.

Cottrell was brought in to rebuild a struggling defense. All he has done is destroy it more. In the past season and a half, since taking over as the defensive coordinator, players have repeatedly lined up in the wrong positions, the blitz is essentially non-existent, and the takeaways have dramatically decreased, while the talent level has increased. Cottrell isn't doing his job, and he has begun to lose faith in his own players as shown by Winfield's comments. Cottrell has only himself to blame. At the end of the season, head coach Mike Tice should and probably will be gone, and so should Cottrell. Zygi Wilf needs to bring in an aggressive defensive-minded coach and defensive coordinator that can gameplan to the strengths of his team. There is no reason the Vikings shouldn't have a top 15 defense with the players they have. It's time for a change.

You might as well keep Marmie, at least it is not changing an entire system to another failed system.

Can you tell I really don't like the guy.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

This is going to be horrible coaching transition if we don't get a good DC out of this chaos.

:drunk:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMROD37 is offline Registered User

Hey guys I dont know about you, but I am
    looking forward to see what Linehan is going to bring to the table LOOK OUT
    NFL MAX Q will return.:clanram: :clanram:

majorram is offline Registered User

The more I read on this chap, the more I become alarmed:O

steve:clanram:
    Last edited by majorram; -01-23-2006 at 05:34 AM.
    "The breakfast Club"

Here is a little Bio stuff on Cottrell. This may help to feel a little better. Still not sold on the guy though.
    ------------------

TED COTTRELL
    Biography:
    As one of the most respected defensive minds in the game and a proven teacher, Ted Cottrell enters his eighth consecutive season as an NFL defensive coordinator and his second season with the Vikings. Cottrell continues to develop his reputation for innovative defensive schemes, being able to get the most out of his players and putting them in positions to excel. Cottrell brings a track record of success to the Vikings, having coached with teams that have advanced to the playoffs in 7 of the past 10 seasons. Cottrell's teams have amassed an 88-72 regular-season mark in the past 9 seasons. He will be in his 22nd season of on an NFL sideline in 2005.

In his Vikings debut in 2004, Cottrell helped guide 2nd-year standout Kevin Williams to 1st-Team All-Pro honors and a berth in the Pro Bowl, finishing as the leading vote getter among NFL DTs on the Associated Press All-Pro team. Williams also led NFL DTs with 11.5 sacks and teamed with Lance Johnstone's 11.0 sacks to rank as the 3rd-most productive tandem in the NLF on the season. The Vikings defensive starters were in flux early in the season, but came together as the starting unit was solidified late in the season. The Vikings defense played one of the best games of the season in the 31-17 upset win over Green Bay at Lambeau Field in the Wild Card playoffs. The Vikings snared four interceptions off Brett Favre and CB Antoine Winfield was named NFL Defensive Player of the Week for the playoff performance.

Cottrell spent the three seasons before coming to Minnesota coordinating the NY Jets defense and serving as Assistant Head Coach. The Jets advanced to the AFC Playoffs in 2001 and 2002, winning the AFC East in 2002 and qualifying as a Wild Card in 2001. The Jets' highlight during his tenure was their 41-0 win over visiting Indianapolis in the 2002 Playoffs, matching the 2nd-largest shutout win in NFL playoff history.

Cottrell helped tutor a pair of Jets defensive linemen to Pro Bowl berths- John Abraham (2001, '02) and Shaun Ellis (2003). After an injury-shortened rookie season, Abraham returned in 2001 to post 13.0 sacks and start for the AFC in the Pro Bowl. His 13-sack effort was the best single-season performance by a Jet since Mark Gastineau in 1985. The following season, Abraham posted 10.0 sacks and again started in the Pro Bowl. During 2001-02 Abraham started 31 of a possible 32 games and had 82 tackles in each season. In 2003 Ellis notched a career-best 12.5 sacks to rank tied for 5th in the NFL along with notching 109 tackles, 50 more than his previous career-high.

The 2003 Jets struggled to start 0-4 before rebounding to go 6-6 over the final 12 games of the season. In the final 6 losses of the season, the team fell by an average of under 6 points per game. Cottrell's defense pitched its 3rd shutout in 2 seasons against Pittsburgh to go 6-8 before losing the final 2 games to eventual AFC Super Bowl Champion New England and on the road in Miami. The 2003 Jets defense was hobbled by injuries throughout the season, reducing starting DE John Abraham and starting CB Donnie Abraham to playing only 7 games on the season. Starting FS John McGraw was placed on IR after starting only 6 games. Cottrell's Jets did see the emergence of #4 overall pick DT Dewayne Robertson, who became the 1st Jets defender to start every game as a rookie since Mo Lewis in 1991.

The 2002 Jets were a tale of two teams, giving up an average of 32.4 points per game over the opening 5 contests before righting their ship. In the final 11 games of the season the team allowed an average of 15.8 points per game and only twice in that span gave up over 21 points. The turnaround helped the team go 8-3 down the stretch and win the AFC East. In the Wild Card playoffs the Jets hosted Indianapolis and Pro Bowl starters Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison. The tandem had hooked up for 143 catches and 11 TDs during the regular season before being shut down by the Jets. Manning went 14-of-31 for 137 yards with 2 INTs and a sack while Harrison caught 4 passes. The Colts managed only 10 first downs and 176 total yards in the 41-0 shutout. New York went on to face eventual AFC Champion Oakland on the road in the AFC Divisional Playoffs the following week.

In 2001 Cottrell guided the Jets to the #19 total defense in the NFL, tied for 2nd in the NFL with 39 takeaways and tied for the NFL lead with 19 fumble recoveries. Following a 3-3 start the Jets opportunistic defense was vital in putting together a 4-game winning streak in October and November. During the 4-week run the Jets held opponents to 12, 9, 7 and 0 points, shutting out the Dolphins in Miami for the 1st time since 1970. The Jets defense went 7 consecutive weeks allowing no more than 18 points. The team went 10-6 overall and qualified for the Wild Card playoffs, traveling to Oakland.

During his 2nd stint with the Buffalo Bills from 1995-00, Cottrell's defense was a key element in the club making the playoffs in 4-of-the-6 seasons, winning the AFC East in 1995 and posting a 55-41 regular season mark. In his final 3 seasons with the Bills, Cottrell served as defensive coordinator and guided the #1 ranked defense in the NFL in 1999 along with earning a #3 ranking in 2000 and #6 in 1998. The 1999 Bills set team records for fewest points allowed (229 total, 14.3 per game), fewest TDs allowed (23), fewest total yards (4,045) and total first downs (244) allowed in a 16-game season. His #1 defense in 1999 did not feature a Pro Bowl player. In 2 of his 3 seasons as Bills defensive coordinator, Cottrell's defenders posted 40+ sacks, with 43 in 1998 and 42 in 2000. The 1988 Bills defense earned the #1 rank in the AFC.

During his time as Bills defensive coordinator he guided a trio of players to Pro Bowl berths, including DT Ted Washington (1998, 00) DE Bruce Smith (1998) and LB Sam Cowart (2000). As the team's LB coach from 1995-97 he helped Bryce Paup earn trips to Hawaii each of the 3 seasons and in 1995 Paup was named the Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year. The Bills defense featured some of the NFL's top players during his tenure from 1986-89 and again from 1995-2000. In 1986 Cottrell inherited the #1 overall pick from the 1985 Draft in Smith. From 1986-89, with Cottrell coaching the line, Smith had 15, 12, 11 and 13 sacks respectively and forced 3 fumbles each season from 1986-89. Smith earned Pro Bowl honors following the 1987-89 seasons and was named the Player of the Game in 1987. Bills NT Fred Smerlas joined Smith in the Pro Bowl in 1988. Smith earned Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year honors in 1990 and 1994.

From 1990-93 Cottrell guided the Cardinals defensive line under head coach Joe Bugel. During the 1994 season he coached under defensive guru Buddy Ryan and tutored the Cardinals LBs, helping Seth Joyner earn Pro Bowl honors, the first Cardinals LB to play in the game since E.J. Junior in 1985. In 1984 and '85 Cottrell coached LBs for the USFL's New Jersey Generals and helped the team go 14-4 and 11-7 respectively before the league folded. During his time with the upstart league he was part of a team that featured Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie and was owned by Donald Trump.

His debut on an NFL sideline came during the 1981 and '82 seasons as LBs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs under Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, for whom he would again coach with the Bills from 1986-89. Cottrell coached against the Vikings in the final game at Met Stadium in 1981, a 10-6 Chiefs win.

Cottrell's first taste of coaching came at Rutgers, where he would eventually spend 9 seasons in a pair of visits. From 1973-79 he coached the Scarlet Knights defensive line and in 1980 took over LB duties before leaving the school for an opportunity in the NFL. He returned to the New Jersey school in 1983 to serve as defensive coordinator. During his 9 seasons of collegiate coaching, Cottrell was a part of teams that went 68-31-1 and helped guide the 1976 Rutgers squad to a perfect 11-0 mark and post 4 shutout wins. During his tenure he tutored DT Nate Toran to All-America honors in 1975 and '76. Fellow DT John Alexander was honored in 1976 and DT Dino Mangiero earned All-America acclaim in 1979. As Rutgers defensive coordinator in 1980 he oversaw DBs Deron Cherry and Ken Smith each be named honorable mention All-America and in 1983 LB Jim Dumont was honored. Cherry went on to a successful 11-year NFL career with Kansas City.

As a player, Cottrell was a 7th-round draft pick by Atlanta in 1969 and played LB for the Falcons in 1969 and '70. He ended his pro career in the CFL with Winnipeg in 1972. Cottrell was drafted in the same class as Falcons legend Jeff van Note and played alongside Tommy Nobis.

Cottrell was a standout LB at Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, PA from 1965-68 where he was an all-league choice for 3 straight seasons. Ted Cottrell (6/13/47) was born in Chester, PA. Cottrell and his family reside in Eden Prairie.

Information of past play experience:
    Delware Valley College (PA) 1965-69, Atlanta Falcons 1969-70, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) 1972.

Coaching Information:
    Rutgers 1973-80, 83 (Defensive line & Defensive Coordinator), Kansas City Chiefs 1981-82 (Linebackers), New Jersey Generals (USFL) 1984-85 (Defensive Line), Buffalo Bills 1986-89 (Defensive Line, Linebackers & Defensive Coordinator), 95-2000, Arizona Cardinals 1990-94 (Defensive Line & Linebackers), New York Jets 2001-2003 (Assistant Head Coach & Defensive Coordinator), Minnesota Vikings 2004-Present

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Please no...make it stop!!!!!!!! I am not hearing this!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

He isn't that bad I mean at the end of last year they were getting turnovers left and right
    RamsFan16

Just FYI...

The Vikings hired several outside consultants to help Cottrell run the defense. Which included Tice getting involved in the play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    He isn't that bad I mean at the end of last year they were getting turnovers left and right

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Just FYI...

The Vikings hired several outside consultants to help Cottrell run the defense. Which included Tice getting involved in the play calling.
    Ah didn't know that. My bad
    RamsFan16

statesvegasram is offline Registered User

ted cottrell is simply not the answer for the rams. if shaw is serious about righting the ship, then money will not be an issue for getting a top notch defensive coordinator:clanram:

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Looks like Bates is saying No and Cottrell is out of work for a reason.

Tice had major problems with Cottrell and he was almost fired last year (before his fiiring this year).

This was my fear. Linehan is first class, but he's no better than Martz. So, that's a wash and we still have a stikin' DEFENSE. Take Gray over Cottrell and Bates over Both. This is why I thought a DEF coach would be a good fit, because of our myriad Defensive issues.

If we don't get Bates or Jauron, we're going to get a second rate Def Coord. Not what we need at this point.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    This was my fear. Linehan is first class, but he's no better than Martz. So, that's a wash and we still have a stikin' DEFENSE.
    Why do you keep comparing him to Martz without even giving him a chance Martz had his and he was a good OC and not a very good HC every other aspect of the team suffered under Martz. I will give you a wash on the OC because we have seen both, give Linehan 2 years and then tell me who was better as a HC not OC. I think there are a lot better HC's out there then Martz. I would not say the same about OC's.

Fact is Martz is gone he is not coming back. Support Linehan or follow Martz to his next team oh I forgot no one wants him. Linehan and the FO has not even hired a DC yet so bash the rumors if you want but don't bash Linehan for looking at guys until you find out if he has hired them or what postion he has hired them for.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -01-22-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

This Thread is about the DEF COORD and you're still bashing Martz. Linehan has no experience with DEF and we heard part of the package would be a strong DEF COORD.. We are exploring those possibilites.

I was giving Linehan the benefit of the doubt. He still has to make the conversion to Head Coach. Dick Lebeau is/was a GREAT DEF COORD, but sucked as a Head Coach.

Martz has the best record out there among the Former Head coaches. That's something QUANTIFIABLE - his won/lost record. Linehan has his work cut out for him to attain the same won/loss record.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-22-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast