moloch41 is offline Registered User

I know hindsight is 20/20

But geez, we should have taken Cromartie over Hill. Just another draft failure story.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: I know hindsight is 20/20

Hill's level of performance is symptomatic of quite a few things not lthe least of which is the current environment at Rams Park. Can't help wondering how Cromartie would be doing if he was on our roster. Something tells me his production wouldn't be anywhere near what it currently is.

That said, Hill could well be another Rams draft disaster.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Add to that list every draft pick from 2000 up until 2005, save Steven Jackson, Ryan Pickett and Kevin Curtis.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

We are notorious for taking the 'safe' pick instead of choosing a better talent with a little more risk involved. The whole draft is a crapshoot! Cromartie was a freakish athlete that didn't start too many games due to injuries but had much more potential than Hill, yet we took Hill because he had a proven track record. Oh, and the fact that Hill was 24 and Cromartie was 21 gets me angry as well.

sig51 is offline Registered User

That is the reason we are as bad as we are only Steven Jackson has made the pro bowl, as a draft pick since we selected Torry Holt!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    We are notorious for taking the 'safe' pick instead of choosing a better talent with a little more risk involved. The whole draft is a crapshoot! Cromartie was a freakish athlete that didn't start too many games due to injuries but had much more potential than Hill, yet we took Hill because he had a proven track record. Oh, and the fact that Hill was 24 and Cromartie was 21 gets me angry as well.
    I don't know that Cromartie had more potential. What he did have on Hill was height, and that seemed to be the main thing people liked about him over Hill. I don't think it is good business to spend a no. 1 pick on a guy who showed flashes as a nickelback his junior year, and when the draft rolled around was still coming back from a leg injury serious enough to keep him from playing his entire senior year.

If we were in the same situation in the 2009 draft and you had to pick between two new players, one who lacks the ideal size for the position and the other who has been sidelined for the last year and has never started but seems to have the right physical requirements for the position, which one do you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    Hill's level of performance is symptomatic of quite a few things not lthe least of which is the current environment at Rams Park. Can't help wondering how Cromartie would be doing if he was on our roster. Something tells me his production wouldn't be anywhere near what it currently is.

That said, Hill could well be another Rams draft disaster.

True, but also consider how much Tye Hill's flat-out awful play has contributed to the current environment. Perhaps if he knocks down or intercepts that long pass for Desean Jackson in Game #1, things are different- who knows? Perhaps if he picked or knocked down any passes thrown his way this year, the defense is a little more pumped instead of watching yet another first down being converted on the guy and then hanging their heads.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I have been thinking this very same thing. This was the most crucial play we have seen in a long time. It is something I believe started the downward spiral. Something that torched both Hill's and the entire teams spirit.

It would interesting to see what things would be like right now if Hill made the interception instead of what people see as getting burned.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    True, but also consider how much Tye Hill's flat-out awful play has contributed to the current environment. Perhaps if he knocks down or intercepts that long pass for Desean Jackson in Game #1, things are different- who knows? Perhaps if he picked or knocked down any passes thrown his way this year, the defense is a little more pumped instead of watching yet another first down being converted on the guy and then hanging their heads.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Hill has been a disaster this year. His coverage is like Travis Fisher's and he gambles more and makes more wrong reads, and is also less physical than Fisher was. He is actually worse overall if you can believe that. Watching the games it's clear the other teams are VERY well aware of how bad he is, they LOVE having him on the field and throw at him all the time when he is.

I never wanted him to begin with, didn't want to see another 5'9 CB going up against 6'4 receivers and getting bruised, outmuscled and outjumped by bigger guys all the time. But I must confess I never knew he would be this horrible just in terms of coverage skills, didn't see that coming. What an awful pick.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I hate to say this but the way our offense is playing this season so far. We should have taken Jay Cutler.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Watching MNF last night opened my eyes pretty well on the Hill/Jackson catch, as well. Early in the game, the Chargers threw the ball pretty much into the same exact situation, same sideline, guys in the same kind of positions, only this time, some rookie I hadn't heard of out of like San Jose State or something just stuck his hand right in front of the receiver's face and got a hand on the ball and threw it to the turf. Exactly what Tye Hill, a 3rd year vet, couldn't do. A rookie, I think they said in the 4th round?

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Watching MNF last night opened my eyes pretty well on the Hill/Jackson catch, as well. Early in the game, the Chargers threw the ball pretty much into the same exact situation, same sideline, guys in the same kind of positions, only this time, some rookie I hadn't heard of out of like San Jose State or something just stuck his hand right in front of the receiver's face and got a hand on the ball and threw it to the turf. Exactly what Tye Hill, a 3rd year vet, couldn't do. A rookie, I think they said in the 4th round?
    That was a sweet play on a long pass. If he doesn't get his hand up there, it's 7 for the Chargers. Ron J. (Jaworski, not Jeremy) said that the guy plays like a CB that has been around the league for a while and not like a rookie who's running around with his head cut off.