Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I Know It's Preseason, But.............

The game last night did not "feel" good to me. I got an uneasy sense that we're not where we should be. I know the game meant nothing as far as winning or losing, but there just seemed to be too many mistakes, too many penalties, too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles, too many missed opportunities, and no real continuity on offense or defense.

I'm not looking for complicated schemes and perfect execution, but I don't think expecting basic fundamental football is asking for too much.

That said, maybe it was just a bad game, and we'll flip the switch in the next few weeks. I'm not overly concerned, I don't think we're in trouble, and I know everything gets reset on opening day, but I'd really like to see the team moving in the right direction. Hopefully we see that next Saturday in the dress rehearsal.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

Nothing dissapoints me more than missed tackles and penalties. Fundamentals... cmon now.
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Best way to motivate in the NFL at this point, is to start cutting and getting to the Roaster limit. Doing so at this stage starts sending messages that is unmistakable, "I can be gone, and so could my NFL career." Right now I can't name one player whom is on the bubble that the Rams ought to hold on to for Games 3 & 4 to see if MAYBE they are NFL material. In the Rams shoes I'd see who makes the other teams practice squads and see if I could fill in the gaps that way

Rambos is offline Registered User

Maybe the defense needs to play more smack cam to get them hitting and tackling better.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I take issue with those that say "Pre-season doesn't mean anything". Certainly from a won-loss standpoint, that's true, but if the games didn't matter, they wouldn't be played. Pre-season is about preparation and fine tuning as well as player evaluation- all essential elements of any athletic endeavor. Because "it's pre-season" does not mean we shouldn't fret a bit if guys who are bona fide starters perform poorly. You don't just flip a switch and play well- and the old adage "you practice like you play" holds weight. We have two pre-season games left and I fully expect steady progress in both of those games so we are ready for week 1.

Just watched the "starters" again and I am comfortable.

Our starting offence did a good job. As did our starting D.

Only problem I can see is we have no depth. If we loose ANYONE on our O line we can kiss this season goodbye
    rammiser likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd like to see better execution in terms of fundamentals and penalties, but pre-season is the time where you can make those mistakes and it doesn't cost you in the win/loss column. I'll be worried if it carries over to the regular season, but in the meantime, I suspect the coaches are aware of the issues and are doing their best to correct it when the results matter.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I take issue with those that say "Pre-season doesn't mean anything". Certainly from a won-loss standpoint, that's true, but if the games didn't matter, they wouldn't be played. Pre-season is about preparation and fine tuning as well as player evaluation- all essential elements of any athletic endeavor. Because "it's pre-season" does not mean we shouldn't fret a bit if guys who are bona fide starters perform poorly. You don't just flip a switch and play well- and the old adage "you practice like you play" holds weight. We have two pre-season games left and I fully expect steady progress in both of those games so we are ready for week 1.
    I agree with the caveat that we really do not know what the coaching staff is calling and evaluating from their perspective. In that regard, pre season from a fans' perspective can be thoroughly frustrating......BUT at the very least, tackles should be made and balls should be caught....no excuse for that.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Just watched the "starters" again and I am comfortable.

Our starting offence did a good job. As did our starting D.

Only problem I can see is we have no depth. If we loose ANYONE on our O line we can kiss this season goodbye
    I don't agree about the starters doing a GOOD job especially on defense. The starting defense did hold GB out of the endzone but the tackling, the large junks of yardage given up and the general lack of execution bothered me. Long had a nz infraction and an offside. There were no three and outs and GB never punted. To me, that's not a good job.

The offense was ok at times. It might have looked more competitive if Fisher had opted for FG attempts instead of going for it on 4th down. I would have liked to have seen better execution on those 4th down attempts. Sam had the fumble on the second attempt. We had some penalties mixed in and we did miss the one FG attempt. Sam also missed a wide open tavon for an easy TD. To me, that's not a good job.

I also don't agree that if ANYONE goes down along the OL that we are done for the season. The depth as a unit is not great but if one of those guys has to fill in I think we'd be ok. I doubt it will be good but I think we'd be ok.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

The worst thing that stood out for me last night was the three illegal formation penalties on offense. How do you have THREE illegal formation penalties in one game? Inexcusable, even for a pre-season game.

itsguud is offline Registered User

How can you say an offense did good when they failed to score a single point. The Rams are in arguably the toughest division in football and need the ability to put up points consistently. It has been our largest problem in the last 5+ years and based on the preseason thus far I don't see anything that tells me we going to be different. I see major red flags on our starting O. Everyone looks at numbers and says wow Bradford looks good. He has no int's a good completetion percentatge and yards/catch. But that doesn't tell the true story:
    1. Rams still struggle protecting him
    2. Rams have not looked good running the ball
    3. Bradford may be the worst QB in the league at generating something out of nothing and struggles with the medium routes and distances.

On defense - damn we missed a lot of tackles. Our starting O was torn apart by Lacy. Albeit he is a great RB but come'on you're gonna let a rookie run wild on you like that and give him a confidence boost in pre-season...

I'm seeing red flags already that are definitely worrying me for the season. Primarily - we need to take control of games, score points and stop the other team in 3.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

You know I watched the first half today and was really worried after reading what y'all had to say about this game but as some have said it was not quite as bad as first made out to be. Just some minor adjustments and I think we are fine. We nearly scored like 3 times with the first stringers and our Defense was pretty good I thought against one of the best if not the best QB in the league. As for our bubble players they will be looking alot better when they are being used to spell the top guys mixed in with the other number one's and two's. Nice to see Tavon starting to spread his wings and was a nice play by Cook too. He showed why he got that huge contract excited to see that combo in the real season games! Bradford to Cook could be one of the best QB to TE combo's out there... Remember to consider we are the youngest team in the league and at least half these guys have not played together before. Still along ways to go and I think we will get there, by 3 or 4 games into the season I still think we could be scary good. Go Get Em Boyz!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    How can you say an offense did good when they failed to score a single point. The Rams are in arguably the toughest division in football and need the ability to put up points consistently. It has been our largest problem in the last 5+ years and based on the preseason thus far I don't see anything that tells me we going to be different. I see major red flags on our starting O. Everyone looks at numbers and says wow Bradford looks good. He has no int's a good completetion percentatge and yards/catch. But that doesn't tell the true story:
    1. Rams still struggle protecting him
    2. Rams have not looked good running the ball
    3. Bradford may be the worst QB in the league at generating something out of nothing and struggles with the medium routes and distances.

On defense - damn we missed a lot of tackles. Our starting O was torn apart by Lacy. Albeit he is a great RB but come'on you're gonna let a rookie run wild on you like that and give him a confidence boost in pre-season...

I'm seeing red flags already that are definitely worrying me for the season. Primarily - we need to take control of games, score points and stop the other team in 3.
    Are you really watching these games? Red flags from Sam's play? Really?

So far in two games he has yet to be sacked. According to you we have not protected him so far and he's the worst at generating something out of nothing and struggles with the medium routes and distances.

Here are his numbers after two games.

13 of 22 completion percent 65, 1 TD no INTs and a RAT of 125! He's averaging a sick 12.9 yards per pass. 5 plus 20 yard passes and 2 plus 40. Again are you watching these games?

I agree with the tackling needs to be much better. We did run the ball in the first game well, not good in the second.

Chris Long had two offside penalties the second one last night really hurt us, but I'm not worried he will continue to do that.

There is a lot to clean up and fix that is for sure, but there are some things that look to be very promising like 12.9 yards per pass with the ones.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-18-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    MauiRam likes this.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I am also not very pleased with our performance last night. I must admit, the officiating DID leave a lot to be desired (inconsistent), but it did not seem to favor one team over another. What kind of stuck in my craw was the repeat of week one - missed tackles (even Vanilla has some flavor), blown opportunities, and sadly, Sam's performance. The pass from Sam to Tavon sailed too high - at first glance, it looked like Tavon could have grabbed it and made the TD, but after watching the replay, I saw where Sam had thrown it way too high.

This is what I hate about Fisher's Vanilla preseason. I want to see what the players can really do - and we can't see that until Fisher cuts them loose on the field.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I just watched the game and the Red Zone offense is still the biggest hurdle facing this team. The series of plays after the great pass to Givens to put us inside the 10 was just brutal to watch. So of the DBs down the depth chart were making better tackles than some of the guys higher on the depth chart.
    live4ramin and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast