Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

  1. #16
    citr92 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    in terms of scoring...well to be fair, though austin needed to be 2 inches taller to score lol

    they did go for it on 4th down twice, which they wouldn't normally do unless it was crunch time

    so as far as play calling, they tried some stuff, like most do in preseason

    though to be on the goal line 3 times and not score is troublesome

    we'll see what happens next week,

    i still think some players aren't going full throttle and risking injury


  2. #17
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,224
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    With everything that is posted here, there was really no need for me to see the game -- and I did not watch last night's game. The point is ... as Mike said, that indications are ... that indeed, we are not where we should be despite the positive and optimistic feelings we have based on player talent / potential. Surely the players are disappointed right now with current results; seems there were more negative issues than positive highlights.

    No doubt our coaches feel the same way considering they expect, and need, to see more results, i.e., better results / better execution, fewer mistakes, more reliability.

    Nonetheless, I too feel confident that Fisher & Co. shall work out the shortcomings and W I L L this team to IMPROVE before the regular season.

    GO RAMS?

    Last edited by RealRam; -08-19-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Format
    laram0 and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

  3. #18
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,277
    Rep Power
    56

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    The concerns I had with this team before the season started, and the play thus far in the preseason have me a bit concerned. The LB and safety positions are both a little tenuous if nothing more. The rooks in the backfield have been abused in the first two games. Both Ogletree and McDonald look to be a little lost out there, and their tackling has been abysmal. I know they're playing a vanilla soft defense, but they're missing assignments and it has me concerned. I figured there'd be issues back there, and it has been confirmed through the first two games, but I'm still hoping the kids get it together because the veteran QB's they'll be facing the in the front part of the schedule will tear them apart. ...and Jenkins still doesn't know how to make a tackle. That shoulder "tackle" is laughable. Let's hope that they figure it out quickly.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  4. #19
    Ramendola16's Avatar
    Ramendola16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    20
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    My quick thoughts:

    1. Bradford looks reeeeeally good. Oh man.
    2. Pead's pass protection was sharp.
    3. I'm not too shocked we got torn up. Rodgers tends to do that to every defense.
    4. Could someone PLEASE teach Trumaine Johnson how to tackle?!
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

  5. #20
    lostsoul's Avatar
    lostsoul is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    This is just preseason guys. The players haven't played football in an actual game in months. There is going to be some rust and a few stupid penalties. Not to mention the vanilla play calling isnt helping them look good. Everything will fall into place. I have faith in Fisher and Snead.
    Kyle Fuller at 13!!!!!

  6. #21
    citr92 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    My quick thoughts:

    1. Bradford looks reeeeeally good. Oh man.
    2. Pead's pass protection was sharp.
    3. I'm not too shocked we got torn up. Rodgers tends to do that to every defense.
    4. Could someone PLEASE teach Trumaine Johnson how to tackle?!
    especially a very vanilla defense...

  7. #22
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I take issue with those that say "Pre-season doesn't mean anything". Certainly from a won-loss standpoint, that's true, but if the games didn't matter, they wouldn't be played. Pre-season is about preparation and fine tuning as well as player evaluation- all essential elements of any athletic endeavor. Because "it's pre-season" does not mean we shouldn't fret a bit if guys who are bona fide starters perform poorly. You don't just flip a switch and play well- and the old adage "you practice like you play" holds weight. We have two pre-season games left and I fully expect steady progress in both of those games so we are ready for week 1.
    Really? So we need to see what Chris Long and Laurinitis can do in pre-season or do we already know? Pre-season means please stay healthy to me and that is it. I specifically remember this team looking like crap and getting slaughtered byt the Colts 38-3 last year. Did that adversley affect the results of our season. This is a evaluation period moslty for the young guys and fringe guys. I agree that making tackles is important but from a veterans perspective I just feel they arent going all out in fear of being injured. If Darion Stewart came up and laid a lick on Lacy but seperated his shoulder in a meaningless game I would be pissed. I don't think the games are completely meaningless but they are pretty close.

    By the way if you are looking for improvement in week four of pre-season good luck with that because the starters play very little if at all in week four.

    While I agree fundamentals are important all the time im not going to freak out about it. Damien Woody was on a talk show recently and they asked him about pre-season and he said he hated playing against young guys or rookies in pre-season and even practice. He said they are going all out trying to make the team and you dont want to get hurt. You do your job but you already know youre a starter and the young guys are trying to show something to the coaches.

    That tells me that maybe just maybe the contract players are not killing themselves in practice and pre-season games.
    Last edited by rammiser; -08-19-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    RamDez, Rambos, laram0 and 1 others like this.
    Just Fix It

  8. #23
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,573
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Really? So we need to see what Chris Long and Laurinitis can do in pre-season or do we already know?
    Maybe I'm not reading you right here but isn't it the coaches decision on who they want to see get some work in?


    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If Darion Stewart came up and laid a lick on Lacy but seperated his shoulder in a meaningless game I would be pissed.
    I understand not wanting to get a starter hurt in preseason, but again the coaches put them in there. Isn't it the nature of the game that any player could be hurt on almost any play? Cmon man, it's football.


    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    While I agree fundamentals are important all the time im not going to freak out about it.
    So, then I think you agree with most everyone and btw who is freaking out here?

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Damien Woody was on a talk show recently and they asked him about pre-season and he said he hated playing against young guys or rookies in pre-season and even practice. He said they are going all out trying to make the team and you dont want to get hurt. You do your job but you already know youre a starter and the young guys are trying to show something to the coaches.

    That tells me that maybe just maybe the contract players are not killing themselves in practice and pre-season games.
    I don't know who Damien Woody is but you might be reading too much into his comments. I always read the coaches want players to practice with a certain tempo. I really don't think they are going to tolerate a bunch of young kamikaze's running around after the vets.

  9. #24
    J-RodRamFan's Avatar
    J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    DMV- Maryland
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    The illegal formations and bad tackling has to be fixed ASAP. We really need to limit these penalties. Hell, illegal formation cost us a win last year against SF alone. I'm gonna assume they will get back into rhythm with tackling but they have two games to do it or we will be giving up big runs every week.

  10. #25
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Maybe I'm not reading you right here but isn't it the coaches decision on who they want to see get some work in?.
    Yes you missed my point. My point was is anyone really worried about how the entrenched starters look in pre-season. Don't we pretty much know what they have? I'm not worried about Rivers replacing Long.


    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    I understand not wanting to get a starter hurt in preseason, but again the coaches put them in there. Isn't it the nature of the game that any player could be hurt on almost any play? Cmon man, it's football.
    Really its football? I thought all along i was watching soccer. I realize injuries happen but I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about Stweart missing tackles in the regular season than now. Pre-season is televised practice and I havnt watched a lot of games and thought to myself man that team is going all out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    So, then I think you agree with most everyone and btw who is freaking out here?.
    Im not sweating missed tackles in pre-season not one bit. So i stated that i'm not freaking out about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    I don't know who Damien Woody is but you might be reading too much into his comments. I always read the coaches want players to practice with a certain tempo. I really don't think they are going to tolerate a bunch of young kamikaze's running around after the vets.
    Damien Woody was an offensive lineman.No I didnt read anything in to his comments. The context of the question was exactly about what we are talking about here. Effort in pre-season games for rookies and young guys vs vets who alredy have good contracts. He even stated that the vets are trying to avoid injury more than impress the coaches. Vets have been through it and these young guys are trying to impress. Not much to read in to there.
    Just Fix It

  11. #26
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,246
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Really? So we need to see what Chris Long and Laurinitis can do in pre-season or do we already know?
    You make a fair point, we do already know what Long and Laurinaitis can do, but that doesn't mean they can't use some reps to get their game speed timing fine tuned, and shake off some of the rust. Long had two off-sides penalties against Green Bay, so I'm sure he'll use the rest of the preseason to get that under control. In addition, there are new faces on defense, as well a new DC, so preseason games are a chance to get familiar with the changes, in full action situations, before the regular season starts.

  12. #27
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,965
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Here's why I'm not concerned.

    Long had two off-sides penalties against Green Bay, he is a pro bowl caliber player. He's not Alex Barron.

    We had another three illegal formation penalties. Fisher said they are calling this more this year. Last night on MNF it was called.

    That's five penalties just with those two issues. The illegal formation penalties really made it tough on our offense, simple fix.

    The tackles or lack there of. Seems like it was a handful of players missing a few, not the whole team playing sloppy IMO. Cortland Finnegan made clean tackles all night. I'm sure the other guys will get it together. Trumaine Johnson and TJ need to tackle better. Trumaine Johnson is getting pushed by rookie Brandon McGee, so he better step up soon.

    Alec Ogletree has not looked good to me, he seems to look lost at times. The Rams want him to start they need him to start BUT he needs to play better or he may not start. Fisher will not play him because of his draft spot, we all know that. It's never too late to bring it a vet if he needs more time.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-20-2013 at 01:56 PM.

  13. #28
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,246
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We had another three illegal formation penalties. Fisher said they are calling this more this year.
    Sounds like another reason preseason reps can be useful. Better to recognize the situation now as opposed to the regular season.

  14. #29
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here's why I'm not concerned.

    Long had two off-sides penalties against Green Bay, he is a pro bowl caliber player. He's not Alex Barron.

    We had another three illegal formation penalties. Fisher said they are calling this more this year. Last night on MNF it was called.

    That's five penalties just with those two issues. The illegal formation penalties really made it tough on our offense, simple fix.

    The tackles or lack there of. Seems like it was a handful of players missing a few, not the whole team playing sloppy IMO. Cortland Finnegan made clean tackles all night. I'm sure the other guys will get it together. Trumaine Johnson and TJ need to tackle better. Trumaine Johnson is getting pushed by rookie Brandon McGee, so he better step up soon.

    Alec Ogletree has not looked good to me, he seems to look lost at times. The Rams want him to start they need him to start BUT he needs to play better or he may not start. Fisher will not play him because of his draft spot, we all know that. It's never too late to bring it a vet if he needs more time.
    Fair enough but Long had issues with jumping offsides in the regular season last year. I agree that Ogletree looks lost and I expected nothing less, he is a rookie afterall and the game is moving a little fast for him right now.

    No injuries is what I take out of pre-season. As long as we stay healthy we have a chance to be successful. We are already one o-lineman down and luckily it wasnt worse than it was. All of the issues that are being pointed out will be resolved in practice.
    Just Fix It

  15. #30
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,965
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: I Know It's Preseason, But.............

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Sounds like another reason preseason reps can be useful. Better to recognize the situation now as opposed to the regular season.
    The illegal formation penalties being called is when the tackle is not lined up on the line of scrimmage. It's a way for tackle to cheat a little by getting deeper. Fisher said they usually warn the player, but since the league is trying to clean this up they are just throwing flags to send a message. I like the fact they are cleaning that up, should benefit. Long and Quinn!

    I think players need reps in games. The new CBA has made camp like a company picnic. If you look at Rams camp through social media. Looks like a party. Families are there, the girl friends and wife's are there to give their man a big huge and kiss. The vets go home and sleep in there own beds. They have games for the kids. VP is in a dunk tank, players are hitting each other with pies and posting it to instagram.

    No one is ever tackled to the ground, ever! Until the game is played. Then they miss tackles and we wonder why?

    Times have changed Mike..

    In Fisher I trust....

    As Fisher said Monday, he isn’t concerned with the opposition’s more extensive game-planning at this stage.

    “No, it bothers you guys,” Fisher told the assembled media. “It doesn’t bother me. We’ve got a regular season we’re concerned about.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I hate preseason. How about you?
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: -08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
  2. Pre-preseason Rankings
    By laram0 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
  3. I know it's only the preseason...BUT...
    By laram0 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-30-2008, 01:57 PM
  4. Preseason or Not, That was ugly.
    By Scidog68 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: -08-23-2005, 03:09 PM
  5. I know it's only preseason....
    By gap in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -09-07-2004, 04:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •