tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i know some people consider the defensive performance misleading...

but you have to remember that it was still Peyton Manning on that first drive. It wasnt like Rex Grossman did a number on out starting D, it was the best QB in the league. Im just impressed that the D is tackling. Yes the Colts RBs are hardly outstanding, but neither are Maurice Hicks and Frank Gore, and yet they ran all over us last year.

I dont think everyone should be expecting us to have an outstanding defense this year, but people shouldnt discredit the D because of one drive at the start of the game.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: i know some people consider the defensive performance misleading...

i am not discrediting the performance of the D over the game, which was excellent. However, for balance sake, you do have to mention that it was against a second string and third string qb. every qb in the league isnt peyton manning, but almost all of them are better than sorgi. Its just a question of perspective. No reason to get too down about getting scored on by manning, but no reason to get too excited about stopping the second string.

That being said, i agree 100% its great to watch ANY rams game and see some solid tackling.

rammming speed to all

general counsel

Milan is offline Registered User

It showed that our 2-3 strings are better than the colts 2-3 strings, which means we have more depth than one of the best teams in the league.

Also, Adeyanju's performance was great. He had pressure on the QB and I think got a sack.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Adeyanju did show some speed, and Wroten had a good game. The Colts are going to put 7 up on the first drive more than once this year, but the secondary did look suspect.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Like I said in another thread, there were two big mistakes (IMO) that led to that first score......zone confusion between Brown and Atogwe on the Wayne corner route; and Chillar letting Utecht go on the TD pass. Other than that, the 1st looked allright.....a couple of short runs, a couple of rushed passes due to pressure. Yea, they scored (starting at midfield, btw, don't even get me started on that on-side kick) and we need to correct the mistakes, but there were good things that happened in those first 4 minutes as well.

And let's not forget, the 2nd possession which consisted of a 1 yard run by Rhodes and the safety were against the Colts first string with the exception of Sorgi for Manning. It was the first string line that got beat, the first string RB that got dropped at the LOS, and the first string receivers that didn't get free in time for Sorgi to find.

We can't make too much of the game either way, but there were some good things as well as errors from the first-team D against what is arguably the best O in the land.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-11-2006 at 10:02 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Its hard to get much of an opinion based on the first drive. Not only was that Peyton Manning & Co., but they were working with a short field.

On a somewhat related note... am I the only one who thought that running an onside kick on the first play of preseason was an exceedingly "Bush League" move by Dungy?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Its hard to get much of an opinion based on the first drive. Not only was that Peyton Manning & Co., but they were working with a short field.
    Yeah it was one big play on a short field, we did a great job angainst the run al night. ast year it could have been their 4th string guys and they woud have run in us.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam

On a somewhat related note... am I the only one who thought that running an onside kick on the first play of preseason was an exceedingly "Bush League" move by Dungy?
    We did the exact same thing last pre-season, not sure if it was the first play but we did it and failed.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Our D will be fine. We will have a top 5 D, book it.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000
    Our D will be fine. We will have a top 5 D, book it.
    Ooh, don't know that I'm ready to say that just yet. Maybe our 1st string needs more than a couple of series to evaluate their season success.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

We'll definitely be in the top 5 in the NFC West.

MFranke is offline Registered User

Good memory. The Rams did try one last preseason in San Diego, but they were down 17-14 at the time. Like in that situation, if the Colts had gone for one last night after they pulled to within 19-17, I wouldn't have complained. Doing it off the opening kickoff is too much of a "playing for keeps" attitude for my preseason tastes.

--Mike

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Av, Very good LMAO,

And let's not forget, the 2nd possession which consisted of a 1 yard run by Rhodes and the safety were against the Colts first string with the exception of Sorgi for Manning. It was the first string line that got beat, the first string RB that got dropped at the LOS, and the first string receivers that didn't get free in time for Sorgi to find.I'm very happy to see that Haslett has the defense on the attack. However if Manning was in the game for that play either Haslett wouldn't have run it or Manning would have recognized it. Huge differnce between Sorgi and Manning.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-11-2006 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts