Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ludairv is offline Registered User

I Know this sounds RIDICULOUS but what if...

The rams somehow acquired Steve Smith from Carloina...and Vincent Jackson from San Diego? yes i know u guys are thinking "how are we gunna just throw away picks like that?" Well... the misconception that i see around this board is that every pick apperently is a sure fire starter. well if the rams, say, give up a 4th and some other consideration for steve smith, and a 2nd this year and 3 next year to get Vincent Jackson then that would instantly jump start this team and offense. Yes i know letting go of those picks seems pretty stupid, but from what i gather from Devaney and Kroenke, these guys want to win now and in the future. We also forget theirs free agency, people who can come in with experience and say ciontribute more so then a player we drafted for that position. Also what do u think that would do to the younger wide-outs, they'd learn exponentially on how to do the little things, and Steve smith has been on record as sayin he doesnt want to be a number one anymore, he wants to be a mentor... as for Vjax he could b ethe go to guy. Say we draft AJ green next year, who he gunna be learning under? Guys like smith and jackson would be such a special opportunity for the kid. I don't know im just saying... this is my opinion on the offense and the draft pick mentality...

(imagine: Smith,Vjax, Clayton Avery,Green,Sjax, Amendola)

GOODLUCK FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON

GO RAMS!!!!
    Last edited by Nick; -10-11-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Removing inappropriate language

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Re: I Know this sounds RIDICULOUS but what if...

It doesn't work from a salary cap standpoint. We could get one of them, though.

I think Kee Evans is available, too. Bottom line is that we really screwed up not getting Vincent Jackson. We should have paid the little extra that AJ SMith wanted.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I remember saying on this board something along the lines of "What happens if one of our WR's goes down?"

Well, we've lost four of them: Avery, Clayton, Robinson, and Curry. We literally do not have the capability of running a four WR set.

We gotta do something. This division is winnable.

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    It doesn't work from a salary cap standpoint. We could get one of them, though.

I think Kee Evans is available, too. Bottom line is that we really screwed up not getting Vincent Jackson. We should have paid the little extra that AJ SMith wanted.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I remember saying on this board something along the lines of "What happens if one of our WR's goes down?"

Well, we've lost four of them: Avery, Clayton, Robinson, and Curry. We literally do not have the capability of running a four WR set.

We gotta do something. This division is winnable.
    That is true but i disagree with the cap space, since theyve shed most of the dead space taken up by old contracts from the previous regime and it shouldnt have an influence with a new owner and all. Im also not sayin we keep all the WR we have and add the ones that i mentioned...multiple Wrs may have to go and if thats the price so be it because they have not shown desire or consistency ... i say we lose Robinson,gibson

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Again, it's not so much about whether we AGREE on the cap space thing or not, it's more factual. 2010 is uncapped, but 2011 moving forward won't be (assuming there's a season)

So, while we can hypothetically do that for one uncapped season, we won't have the cap space to retain both of those players moving forward.

That's ~$12mm in WR's. We'll have to ax one of them in 2011.

I love the enthusiasm, and if we feasible I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it just doesn't work.

I'd be STOKED if we got one of them, though!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm sure people will scoff at this idea, heck even I did initially, but I like your style.

(completely unsupportive and possibly detrimental to your argument, but this is exactly what I do in Madden . Why wait and hope the kid you draft develops into a good player when you can just trade for an established Pro Bowler?)

Of course if we do do these trades, then there is no way A.J. Green will be there with pick number 32.

I hate how people say we are not one or two players away from contending, and that we are still 2 or 3 years away.

This division is winnable with or without VJ or SS. But I believe they would help out a lot. And heck, once you get into the playoffs... PLAYOFFS!?!?!.... anything can happen.

Sure on paper we would get killed by the Steelers, Jets, Ravens, or Colts, but...thats why....they play...the game!

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    Again, it's not so much about whether we AGREE on the cap space thing or not, it's more factual. 2010 is uncapped, but 2011 moving forward won't be (assuming there's a season)

So, while we can hypothetically do that for one uncapped season, we won't have the cap space to retain both of those players moving forward.

That's ~$12mm in WR's. We'll have to ax one of them in 2011.

I love the enthusiasm, and if we feasible I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it just doesn't work.

I'd be STOKED if we got one of them, though!

Hey! I knew you would come back around once these Vincent Jackson talks started heating up again!!!

Don't tell anyone, but I am as crazy in love with VJ as you are, I just use you to siphon away all of the attention and criticism.

how much does steve smith make anyway? just wondering,

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    how much does steve smith make anyway? just wondering,
    Probably elite wr money. Unfortunately he is far from elite now. But for a fourth round pick, Stan can pick up the bill. Thats assuming the Panthers would even trade him for a low pick, not sure why not, they need to be in big time rebuilding mode.

Let me say this, I would only want to grab Smith if V Jackson is along for the ride as well, I don't think Smith would make any more of an impact as the Rams #1 as he is for the Panthers. It all revolves around the VJ deal, which unfortunately isnot looking to great, but hey I'll keep up hope until the trade deadline rolls around.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

I live in San Diego as I've stated before and v-jax is a beast. He is not this supposed cancer in the lo Kerry room as people have mentioned. The papers here have given him much praise. The one to blame for Jackson not signed in SD is their douche bag GM aj Smith Who controls everything and is a hot head wth players trying to stand him up. Ala tomlinson and jackson

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Do you really think that the panthers give up Smith for a 4th? I say just wait it out, sign a free agent, then draft AJ Green!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Think the Vikings will give Bernard Berrian for a 5th round pick? According to reports, the guy maybe willing to make a trade seeing that Randy Moss is back home.

3STL9 is offline Registered User

put down the crack pipe?

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i guess it's an interesting thought, but not realistic. bottom line is the rams need to do a better job of drafting their OWN receivers - everyone who has been a success for this team over the last few years has been a practice squad pickup or brought in through a trade. avery, burton, foster, gilyard are yet to impress, and at least a couple of those were entirely wasted picks.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i guess it's an interesting thought, but not realistic. bottom line is the rams need to do a better job of drafting their OWN receivers - everyone who has been a success for this team over the last few years has been a practice squad pickup or brought in through a trade. avery, burton, foster, gilyard are yet to impress, and at least a couple of those were entirely wasted picks.
    You just made the point, We cant draft. So why not bring in known talent? Money wise all we have to do is get rid of all the dead weight.

thoey is offline Registered User

Injuries happen to known talent too... Just saying...
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast