Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I know this won't be popular, but...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I know this won't be popular, but...

The Rams will have to be head and shoulders better than they were last year to have a winning record. Their schedule is brutal, with Philly, NYG, Balt, Dallas and GB all to be played in the first seven weeks of the season. The division is poor, but in one of the more strange bits of scheduling, we do not play a divisional opponent until November 6th. Green Bay, Dallas and the Giants are all on the road, as is Pittsburgh late in the year. These predictions of 11-5 or 10-6 are going to require that unbelievably good football be played on a week in, week out basis. Hopefully, they're up to the task. But I would caution anyone to let their excitement for the upcoming season get in the way of sound judgment. The Rams made huge strides last year after a disastrous 2009, but it won't be as easy in 2011.

This also won't be popular, but I feel it's the truth: Jim Harbaugh is going to be a fine coach. The Whiners have some very real weaknesses (starting with their QB), but they also have talent- and I guarantee you they will not be the uptight, often confused group they were under Singletary. They're a helluva lot better than last year's record would have you believe.

Bottom line: We're not cake-walking to a division title. Gone is last year's weak-sister schedule. And guys have to improve across the board. As a fan, proceed with cautious optimism.

Keepin' it real.
    ManofGod and Flippin' Ram like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: I know this won't be popular, but...

" CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco reports that Frank Gore recently "snapped" at ***** assistant coaches over growing frustration with his contract.
    Gore is reportedly also unhappy that he's playing so much in preseason (he has eight carries for 41 yards through two games), because it puts him at risk of injury in a contract year. Gore's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, will fly to San Francisco Monday in hopes of brokering a deal. The ***** are not expected to trade Gore, but Kendall Hunter has shown enough that he at least gives the team some leverage. We realize Gore is one of the top all-around backs in football, but the Niners need to be careful to not overpay him at age 28 coming off a fractured hip. "

We are the strongest team in the division right now. The Seahawks got a lot of high profile guys, but at the end of the day they are having QB struggles. Whitehurst or Jackson may step up, but not a lot of hope in that.

The Cards are decent too with the addition of Kolb, but he is unbelieveably overrated. They have some nice players too and have a chance at this division.

We have many good players. We have been drafting gems all over the board. And when you have your young LT, QB, MLB, CB (Fletch), DE (Quinn) your set. They all came from the draft too, not to mention RT and another young DE.

Just watch. The Rams will surprise some people. We have an elite offensive line. We have an excellent defensive line. Our LB corps is a strength as is our backfield. The only possible issues is the secondary because of injuries and the WR corps. I think the secondary is a strength too, not a liability. Whats not to like? Mikell, Stewart or Dahl, Bartell, and Fletcher.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The Rams will have to be head and shoulders better than they were last year to have a winning record. Their schedule is brutal, with Philly, NYG, Balt, Dallas and GB all to be played in the first seven weeks of the season. The division is poor, but in one of the more strange bits of scheduling, we do not play a divisional opponent until November 6th. Green Bay, Dallas and the Giants are all on the road, as is Pittsburgh late in the year. These predictions of 11-5 or 10-6 are going to require that unbelievably good football be played on a week in, week out basis. Hopefully, they're up to the task. But I would caution anyone to let their excitement for the upcoming season get in the way of sound judgment. The Rams made huge strides last year after a disastrous 2009, but it won't be as easy in 2011.

This also won't be popular, but I feel it's the truth: Jim Harbaugh is going to be a fine coach. The Whiners have some very real weaknesses (starting with their QB), but they also have talent- and I guarantee you they will not be the uptight, often confused group they were under Singletary. They're a helluva lot better than last year's record would have you believe.

Bottom line: We're not cake-walking to a division title. Gone is last year's weak-sister schedule. And guys have to improve across the board. As a fan, proceed with cautious optimism.

Keepin' it real.
    I agree. We cannot afford to lose the games we "should" win.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams will have to be head and shoulders better than they were last year to have a winning record.
    Fortunately, all they have to be is head and shoulders above the division to make the playoffs. This team is not a double digit win team, but they absolutely are playoff contenders when looking at the other 3 in the division.
    This also won't be popular, but I feel it's the truth: Jim Harbaugh is going to be a fine coach.
    Actually I've never heard anyone argue otherwise. Harbaugh should be worlds better than the Samurai.
    We're not cake-walking to a division title.
    Well, yea.....a team that drafts in the top 2 in 3 of the past 4 drafts won't cake walk to anything.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, yes, our schedule is much harder than last year and no, we won't be getting to a big win total like 11-5.

HOWEVER, I bet that even if we go 2-5 in our first seven games, we still win the West. The key is, all of our hard games are in the first seven. Look at the schedule: all six division games, Cleveland, Cinci, and Pittsburgh. Seriously, the only loss that I can predict at the moment is at Pittsburgh. Does anyone think that we can't win the other 8 games?

So, at 2-4, it would be far from impossible reach 10-6, but maybe we slip up in the desert or in Candlestick and we go 9-7 or 8-8, and if 7-9 won the division last year... 8-8 will DEFINITELY win it this year.

Anyone think that we can't get two wins in the first seven games?
    I believe!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I suppose every fan has a different way to look at the upcoming season. Since you are a fan of a team on the rise your approach seems more depressing than fun.

There is not a fan out there that truly knows how the upcoming season will unfold. Guarded optimism, cautious excitement, sound judgement are catch-all phrases for a negative thinking fan. IMO, there simply is no good reason to be negative at this point; except for the sake of being negative.

Keep it real by being a fan!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Ive been thinking this since i saw the schedule last year.

A 2-5 start wouldnt suprise me but i do hope they show some fight in all the losses. Not like the 44-6 blowout by the Lions last year :/

The beautiful thing is that with Mcd,Spags, and Bradford running the show, i think we can handle these powerhouses...guess we will have to wait and see.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The equalizer here is that all the other NFC West teams play a comparably tough schedule. The Rams are the strongest team in the division and come seasons end, should be in good position to take the West.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

These predictions of 11-5 or 10-6 are going to require that unbelievably good football be played on a week in, week out basis.
    Unbelievably good? You don't think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Unbelievably good is a season with no losses. You don't have to play "unbelievably good" football to reach 10-6; you just have to be good enough to hang with the best teams in the NFL and beat the less talented teams.
    Keepin' it real.
    If you think being one of the top teams in the NFL is an unattainable goal, then you're not keeping it real. It shouldn't be an expectation, but there have been teams that have done more with less.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

I suppose every fan has a different way to look at the upcoming season. Since you are a fan of a team on the rise your approach seems more depressing than fun.

There is not a fan out there that truly knows how the upcoming season will unfold.
    Guarded optimism, cautious excitement, sound judgement are catch-all phrases for a negative thinking fan. IMO, there simply is no good reason to be negative at this point; except for the sake of being negative.

I am cautiously optimistic, but not remotely negative. I really like our chances, but that optimism is tempered by your third sentence: "There is not a fan out there that truly knows how the upcoming season will unfold." I couldn't agree more, hence you'll not see predictions of our regular season record put forth by this poster. Negative? No way .. I simply don't know, nor does anyone else - which of course is why the games are played. If you ask me: do I think the Rams have a chance at winning their division? The answer is yes, absolutely! Will I bet the farm on it right now before any regular season game has been played? No, I wouldn't. So I guess that defines me as "guardedly optimistic."

In no way whatsoever though do I feel negative about our chances this year. I've been a Ram fan for over 40 years, and have seen a lot of Ram football. I will never ever forget the meteoric rise of "The Greatest Show on Turf" in 99. (I'm sure I wasn't very optimistic before the first regular season game in 99 after Trent went down). This year could very well be the rise of a new dynasty. (We'll just have to find a new nickname).

I think you nailed it perfectly with: "There is not a fan out there that truly knows how the upcoming season will unfold."

For those of us who are guardedly optimistic and cautiously excited, please not to label us all as negative thinkers. For those who think negatively, I respect their right to do so .. (Are you reading this Tex?) Ok, ok Tex just ribbing you ..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Let me put it this way. If we don't win the NFC West this season it will be a big disappointment in my eyes. As has been said by other posters in this thread. Every team in the NFC West is looking at basically the same schedule. Speaking of schedules....ours is tough on paper. Meaning there are always surprise teams and teams that underachieve for whatever reason.

GO RAMS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

There is not a fan out there that truly knows how the upcoming season will unfold. Guarded optimism, cautious excitement, sound judgement are catch-all phrases for a negative thinking fan. IMO, there simply is no good reason to be negative at this point; except for the sake of being negative.

And as expected I figured there would be someone who takes exception to someone speaking logically. Don't confuse negativity with realism. And the reality is we play a VERY tough schedule, which includes both Super Bowl teams on the road plus the others I mentioned. Thinking we're going to go 11-5 with this schedule is not realistic in my humble opinion, and it is neither negative nor out of line. Hopefully, we exceed expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Unbelievably good? You don't think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Unbelievably good is a season with no losses. You don't have to play "unbelievably good" football to reach 10-6; you just have to be good enough to hang with the best teams in the NFL and beat the less talented teams.

If you think being one of the top teams in the NFL is an unattainable goal, then you're not keeping it real. It shouldn't be an expectation, but there have been teams that have done more with less.

Every year, the goal is the playoffs for every team, with the Super Bowl the ultimate destination. But one must be realistic in calibrating their expectations to attainable goals. The odds do not favor the Rams being one of the top teams in the NFL this year. This doesn't make me negative, it doesn't make me a bad fan and it doesn't mean I'm not anxious to see the upcoming season unfold. It also doesn't mean they can't take the division. What it DOES mean- which I clearly stated in my original post is that they are going to have to play very good football consistently throughout the season to do so. 10-6 is going to be tough to attain with their schedule. Impossible? Of course not.

"Cautious Optimism" is indeed a good term. I've seen enough bad football over the course of the last 20 years to justify not jumping up and down in anticipation of what we hope will happen. The early returns are favorable- I like their draft and their overall direction. Bradford is a future star. Williams, Norwood, Dahl are solid acquisitions. And we made great strides last year. What is very much in question is whether or not we can take that next step- and our first 6 games will go a long way in telling if we can.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I think the OP needs to cut n' paste his observations into a thread on the PD board or some other deluded trash-talkin' forum. There is no delusion here about The Rams cruising to a NFCW title that I've read. There is however considerable concern about the WR position, depth on the OL, consistent play from the OLBs and safeties & in what combo, among other issues. A work in progress, in other words, but definitely PROgress, not REgress, or stasis.

I live in SF & I can tell you that Whiner fans are not nearly as optimistic. Gore is a hold out. Crabtree is out for the pre-season, they lost a lot of good players in FA & were pretty quiet in FA. Harbaugh may well be a fine coach but he has his work cut out for him.Hard to make use of your offensive weapons without a QB. You can't be a Rams fan & not know that. The Hags remain the biggest threat,imo, but AZ could be a contender as well but they are increasingly reliant on a few key players like Dockett and Fitz.

What I like most about The Rams so far this year is that they now have a little more depth at the skill positions to take advantage of their solidified foundation on the lines & rapidly maturing players at key spots to lead the way. It IS a brutal early schedule but you can't just focus on two or three guys to stop the Rams so I think they will be better equipped to resist injury-related collapses & have a better chance to beat a few of those big dog opponents with teamwork, strategy, and discipline.
    mikhal5569 and Rammed like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I live in SF & I can tell you that Whiner fans are not nearly as optimistic.
    Isn't the mantra in whinerville these days, "suck for Luck"?
    HUbison, Nick and TekeRam like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast