Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: I like dreaming...(Ram roster moves)

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    Warner is retiring, and they may lose Berry and Boldin. The Seahawks are in pretty bad shape. The ***** are good, but beatable. Essentially, the NFC West is up for grabs next season. The Rams were the 2nd youngest team in the league, and had the most dead money in the league. Now, they are positioned for accelerated improvement. If they made the additions I proposed, they CAN win next year.
    That bad Seattle team swept the Rams last season, including a shutout victory. We are so far below the rest of the division that no, success is not possible next season. Disabuse yourself of this notion.

Molotov is offline Registered User

Suh had 4. 5 sacks BEFORE the Texas game, and he had 4.5 sacks IN the Texas game. So I wonder if the Texas lineman assigned to him just blew that day.

If he racks up 4.5 sacks in 11 games at the college level, against an average schedule, I wouldn't expect him to be a sackmeister at the NFL level.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Molotov are u a Bronco's fan or Rams fan.

I like B. Marshall . The Bronco's will either cut him or Franchise tag him even if he threatens to sit out for year.

I don't know if I want that distraction in the Rams Locker room anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Molotov are u a Bronco's fan or Rams fan.
    Um, lets just say I was thrilled when the Rams gave the head coaching job to Malavasi, I think Henley got a raw deal, and I believe Cromwell's jersey should be retired.

Suh had 4. 5 sacks BEFORE the Texas game, and he had 4.5 sacks IN the Texas game. So I wonder if the Texas lineman assigned to him just blew that day.

If he racks up 4.5 sacks in 11 games at the college level, against an average schedule, I wouldn't expect him to be a sackmeister at the NFL level.
    Not necessarily, but looking at the rest of Nebraska's defensive statistics, you could expect Chris Long to become one. I call that a win-win.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I think we need to be really careful with this pick. I am happy to see Devaney say they are looking at all angles. The number 1 pick is usually never clear cut. The argument here is that Suh will make everyone one else better by drawing double coverage.... I am sure others follow college football more closely then I but I did not hear about this guy with the platitudes until aftermath of Texas game.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I think we need to be really careful with this pick. I am happy to see Devaney say they are looking at all angles. The number 1 pick is usually never clear cut. The argument here is that Suh will make everyone one else better by drawing double coverage.... I am sure others follow college football more closely then I but I did not hear about this guy with the platitudes until aftermath of Texas game.
    Exactly. It's almost as if there is a national conspiracy to compel the Rams to pick a pretty good player. I really think Gerald McCoy will be more of an impact player in the NFL. Or Eric Berry. Or Dez Bryant. Even Brandon Graham, for Gods sake. The Rams DL will be getting Gibson and Carriker back, to go along with solid inside guys like Scott, Ryan, and even Douzable. So, we draft Suh and we have 11 nose tackles and Chris Long. Wonderful. If that is the road to the NFC playoffs, my name is Flipper Anderson.

Exactly. It's almost as if there is a national conspiracy to compel the Rams to pick a pretty good player. I really think Gerald McCoy will be more of an impact player in the NFL. Or Eric Berry. Or Dez Bryant. Even Brandon Graham, for Gods sake. The Rams DL will be getting Gibson and Carriker back, to go along with solid inside guys like Scott, Ryan, and even Douzable. So, we draft Suh and we have 11 nose tackles and Chris Long. Wonderful. If that is the road to the NFC playoffs, my name is Flipper Anderson.
    We have 1 DT whose future with the team is assured, Ryan. Carriker might end up cut or converted back to a DE, Gibson was not the answer prior to getting his leg cheap-shotted by the Packers, and Scott and Douzable are backups at best.

So hush, Flipper.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    That bad Seattle team swept the Rams last season, including a shutout victory. We are so far below the rest of the division that no, success is not possible next season. Disabuse yourself of this notion.
    So, you think if the Rams were to add Brandon Marshall, Michael Vick, Derrick Morgan, Dan Lafavour, and Sean Weatherspoon, and bring back a heallthy Bradley Fletcher, OJ, Gary Gibson, and Adam Carriker, among others, they could not compete with the Mighty 5-win Seahawks?

Me thinks you are delusional, or a Seahawk season ticket holder. Remember, please, what NFL stands for. Not For Long.

So, you think if the Rams were to add Brandon Marshall, Michael Vick, Derrick Morgan, Dan Lafavour, and Sean Weatherspoon, and bring back a heallthy Bradley Fletcher, OJ, Gary Gibson, and Adam Carriker, among others, they could not compete with the Mighty 5-win Seahawks?

Me thinks you are delusional, or a Seahawk season ticket holder. Remember, please, what NFL stands for. Not For Long.
    We could take a game from them in 2010. But we'd be S.O.L. in 2011 and beyond.

The NFL doesn't stand for "not for long" because if it did the Patriots, Eagles, or Colts would have had one or two really bad years, which they haven't. If they can build for the long term, so can the Rams. However, that means that the draft is more important than adding aging "playmakers" for the short term gratification of one or two more wins in that next season at the expense of wins beyond that.

/Weatherspoon won't make it out of the first.
    //Gibson would not start at tackle in most towns. The same applies to Carriker.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    We have 1 DT whose future with the team is assured, Ryan. Carriker might end up cut or converted back to a DE, Gibson was not the answer prior to getting his leg cheap-shotted by the Packers, and Scott and Douzable are backups at best.

So hush, Flipper.
    I thought Scott had a tremendous 2nd half of the season. To me, he looks like a solid player. Ryan is solid. Gibson looked to be at least an average DL. Douzable and Ramsey both performed beyond expectations. If Carriker gets healthy, he will at least help a little. So I guess our discussion really can't be fruitful regarding the addition of Suh if we are clearly in total disagreement on the potential of an interior defensive line that would include Ryan, Scott, Douzable, Ramsey, Carriker, and Gibson. But it is TOTALLY OBVIOUS that an edge rusher is BY FAR a bigger need than a 300 lb interior guy. Who would be our starters at DE right now? Long and me? I'm more of a Ricky Proehl type, but I'll do whatever the team asks of me.
    Last edited by Molotov; -02-07-2010 at 02:08 PM.

We were 27th in the league against the run last season. That's sign #1 that our DTs aren't good. Sign #2 is the complete absence of a pass rush from our front four. The best edge rusher in the world is worthless if his DTs are only commanding single teams. Suh will command double teams, which will be immensely helpful for our ends.

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

Not a bad off-season whatsoever. Here's my breakdown on your moves.

1. Trade Avery and the #1 pick to the Broncos for Brandon Marshall and the #10 pick. (They're getting rid of Marshall one way or the other)
    I'd not at all be opposed to this trade, however giving up that #1 overall selection is risky.. Very risky.

Granted, Brandon Marshall is a slam dunk, sure fire thing. Yes, his attitude is in question. However, on a talent perspective, putting the excess baggage to the backburner, Marshall is easily a top 5 Wideout, I'll even go as far as saying he's just behind Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson in my rankings. What;s more, he's only 25 years old. He's got at minimum, barring the unforseen, 8-10 years left at this level of play. He's yet to reach his peak, and if he could get his maturity in check, the sky is endless for him. As of now, he's a sure handed, steady, big play WR, with good size, great after contact ability (he's been dubbed by quite a few quality CB in this league as the hardest to tackle- especially in 1 on 1 coverage), and a guarantee to get you 100 catches, and over 1,000 yards.

The obvious flipside of this is that Ndamukong Suh seems to have a monsterous upside. This guy could well wind up being the one who redefines the DT position. He's certainly got that upside.

I also wonder how Marshall will react to being on a team coming off a one-win campaign; one that has just 6 wins in three seasons. I'm uncertain he's mature enough to handle it.

2. Trade their 4th and 5th round picks for Vick.
    This is the only move you made that I am steadfast against. Quite honestly, I wouldn't give up A draft pick for Vick, let alone 2.

The guy is 30 years old, hasn't started a single game since 2006 and even at his peak was much more of a playmaker than he was a QB. Yes, he's got the ability to run the football, and he'd make the Rams backfield dangerous. However, when it's all said and done, the Rams need a QB who is going to be able to put the football up regularly, someone who's capable of at least averaging around 200 passing yards per game, which is something Vick never accomplished.

To the "he's a proven winner" crowd? He's had ONE season with ten wins or more. Otherwise, his teams have lingered around that .500 mark and his passing numbers have at best been mediocre.

3. Use the Broncos #10 pick to draft DE Derrick Morgan
    I wouldn't be opposed to this, however I think under this scenario, there's an above average chance that either Clausen or Bradford would fall to 10, in which the Rams should jump at picking either. I think in this circumstance, I'd see only Washington taking a QB. While I can't say for certain what Pete Carroll is going to do with that 5th pick, I still think Hasselbeck has a little left in the tank, and the Seahawks aren't pressed to fix their QB position for immediate repair.

4. Use their 2nd round pick to draft Sean Weatherspoon or Brandon Graham
    5. Use their 3rd round pick to draft Dan Lafavour (spelling?)
    The latter two, I think would be good ideas. I have a hunch though that Graham is going to have an insane Combine and shoot up in to the top 15.

Good post. While I certainly don't agree with everything you wanted done, I think your ideas have some merit to them.. Well.. Except for the Vick trade LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    Not a bad off-season whatsoever. Here's my breakdown on your moves.

I'd not at all be opposed to this trade, however giving up that #1 overall selection is risky.. Very risky.

Granted, Brandon Marshall is a slam dunk, sure fire thing. Yes, his attitude is in question. However, on a talent perspective, putting the excess baggage to the backburner, Marshall is easily a top 5 Wideout, I'll even go as far as saying he's just behind Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson in my rankings. What;s more, he's only 25 years old. He's got at minimum, barring the unforseen, 8-10 years left at this level of play. He's yet to reach his peak, and if he could get his maturity in check, the sky is endless for him. As of now, he's a sure handed, steady, big play WR, with good size, great after contact ability (he's been dubbed by quite a few quality CB in this league as the hardest to tackle- especially in 1 on 1 coverage), and a guarantee to get you 100 catches, and over 1,000 yards.

The obvious flipside of this is that Ndamukong Suh seems to have a monsterous upside. This guy could well wind up being the one who redefines the DT position. He's certainly got that upside.

I also wonder how Marshall will react to being on a team coming off a one-win campaign; one that has just 6 wins in three seasons. I'm uncertain he's mature enough to handle it.

This is the only move you made that I am steadfast against. Quite honestly, I wouldn't give up A draft pick for Vick, let alone 2.

The guy is 30 years old, hasn't started a single game since 2006 and even at his peak was much more of a playmaker than he was a QB. Yes, he's got the ability to run the football, and he'd make the Rams backfield dangerous. However, when it's all said and done, the Rams need a QB who is going to be able to put the football up regularly, someone who's capable of at least averaging around 200 passing yards per game, which is something Vick never accomplished.

To the "he's a proven winner" crowd? He's had ONE season with ten wins or more. Otherwise, his teams have lingered around that .500 mark and his passing numbers have at best been mediocre.

I wouldn't be opposed to this, however I think under this scenario, there's an above average chance that either Clausen or Bradford would fall to 10, in which the Rams should jump at picking either. I think in this circumstance, I'd see only Washington taking a QB. While I can't say for certain what Pete Carroll is going to do with that 5th pick, I still think Hasselbeck has a little left in the tank, and the Seahawks aren't pressed to fix their QB position for immediate repair.

The latter two, I think would be good ideas. I have a hunch though that Graham is going to have an insane Combine and shoot up in to the top 15.

Good post. While I certainly don't agree with everything you wanted done, I think your ideas have some merit to them.. Well.. Except for the Vick trade LOL
    Thanks for the articulate, insightful post. Makes for a good forum. Yeah, perhaps I overpaid for Vick. I think I read somewhere that it would take a 4 and a 5 to get him, but the consensus seems to be more like a single 5th rounder, especially if it is the first pick in the 5th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12