Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

I like General Counsel but...

You really need to understand something things about some of these Ram players you like but...

So many of them are so much the product of a poor system. Marmie has done nothing to improve our young talent and has shown us nothing to prove he is even capable of coaching in the NFL. I feel sorry for some of these kids like Pisa and Arch that do have talent.

If you want to fix the talent, fix Marmie.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: I like General Counsel but...

Marmie got his job here HOW?? Who will be brought in next? Some pal from jr high school?? Open your eyes to the BIGGER PICTURE. This team lacks focus,discipline and motivation...and has for some time. Marmie is nothing more than another SYMPTOM stemming from the REAL problem.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I tried to give Marmie a chance, but his scheme is softer than Chris Berman.

It's time for a change.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am not defending marmie at this point, although i continue to believe that the problems on this defense have existed since 1999. Lovie was no bargain, we got killed in the carolina playoff game.

Blaming marmie for not developing archuleta is downright unfair. Archuleta was drafted in 2001. Lovie had him for three full years before marmie got him and most of the time that marmie had him he was badly injured with the back problem. How can you lay that on marmie?

Dont you think there is at least SOME element of the bobby april discussion here. Again, i am not saying marmie is buddy ryan, only saying that the defense would look a lot better if it had better players.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

How does Marmie get the blame when Arch is fanning on tackles. These guys have to make the plays that what they get paid for right.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

There are good points being made on both sides... We're ALL Ram's fans...

I just want to make one point... Someone is responsible when players are not performing. Someone drafts the players.. Prepares the players... Chooses which players make the team, and then selects which players PLAY.

There is plenty of blame to go around on the defensive side of the ball. that includes the coaches, management and players. Once again, without defending marmie, i continue to contend that you can hire any defensive coordinator you want right now, put in any scheme you want right now and while this defense might improve at the margain, IT WILL STILL BE LOUSY BECAUSE THE PLAYERS ARENT THAT GOOD.

Sorry to use caps, but i will go to the death believing that coaches mean a lot at the margain, but talent has a way of winning out. This is not a college or little league team, these are professional atheletes that bear responsibility for their own performance. It is a separate debate, and a valid one, whether we are picking the right guys, but if you want to have that debate, you cant do it with 20-20 hindsight. I want to know who on this board thought that drafting damione lewis AT THE TIME thought that it was a bad idea. I can sure tell you this, recent history, plenty of people on this board were down on both barron and the front office for pickiing him and have changed their tune quickly.

Look at our season and look at how a play here and a play there has changed everything. We are not as bad as we look right now, and we were not as good as we thought we were after we clobbered detroit in the preseason game.

I love these debates with you guys, its a lot of fun and it is so true that very smart rams fans can have a very different perspective when looking at the same thing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

This team lacks focus,discipline and motivation...and has for some time.
    That's it!
    I'm not sure about the motivation; they did come out strong on Monday; but definitely lacking discipline;(Players out of position, missed tackles) and focus;(stupid penalties, getting down when Bulger went out).
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

thoey is offline Registered User

Wow... Mods directly singling out clan members for speaking their minds. The end must be near.

:down:
    This space for rent...

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I like general counsel but.....

Maybe it's not a bunch of individuals but a teams lack of experience and a system that takes advantage of the individual talent it has.

The majority of players we have are very good on both sides. I admit I bought into if we can only fix the RT position and find an adequate FS this team could be special. What I failed to consider is football is simple but the Team can be a complex thing.

For example, lets look at the Redskins D. Who do they have on the D side of the ball that sticks out ANSWER NO ONE... LaVar some of you might be surprize has been phase out? You may ask why would they bench thier best players. Answer the system they use does not match LaVars free style play. They have a sytem without superstar players yet play in a system that is a very good D in the NFL...

What I think the Rams lack is a system on the D side. When Lovie came from Tampa he put in a system that his players were excited to play and our D improved quickly. His system was quite simple bend do not break. Good tackling and get the ball (turnovers). Play as a team.

What exactly are the Rams trying to do now???? I have no clue...

Some of you might be surprise but the running game involves team effort not just a running back. Believe me Jackson would put up huge numbers if he had holes like Alexander gets on a regular basis. The Rams lack of a running game has more to do with the lack of quality blocking than running.

General Counsel you have brought up some interesting topics but I think if you really want to solve these problem you have to consider more than WHO but maybe WHY are we struggling in these areas? It maybe more involved than just 1 player...

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Ooppss

Sorry RamWraith I actually wrote my response after reading a few of General Counsel post. I did not see yours until after I posted mine. How weird we pretty much were thinking the same thing. I guess thats good.

I guess I was a day late and a dollar short as usual..

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I believe a good Defensive coordinator will get the best out of what he has.Marmie is far from having that nominclature,But lovie did.Eventhough WE lost the Panther playoff game,we did play them tough,had a chance to win and Wilkens blew a fieldgoal that would have done it.It was late in the game Panthers had the ball.We got beat on a short pass play that turned into a TD.Sehorn got beat,but remember it was overtime and the D just ran out of gas.And Bulger did throw an INT in the redzone late in the game.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    I believe a good Defensive coordinator will get the best out of what he has.Marmie is far from having that nominclature,But lovie did.
    Maybe this is just me, though I know there are some who agree because it's been brought up in the chat on game days, but I think Lovie was vastly overrated as a defensive coordinator. Marmie's defense is basically as effective at stopping opponents as Lovie's was, except Marmie's defense isn't creating the turnovers, which is a huge factor. I remember the Rams not being able to stop anyone on the ground in the latter games of 2003, yet people always look back at Lovie with fond eyes. I dunno, I didn't really buy into it as much.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I think when you have limited talent, injuries, and poor coaching, this is the result.

I do believe that Lovie's defense was more "simple", which would seem to be a plus for a young defense vs. putting scripts on their wrists.

Get back to basics.

The idea that we lost to carolina because wilkins "blew" a 53 yard field goal after making three others in that game i believe from over 45 yards is a little over the top. The defense didnt "run out of gas" it gave up over 250 yards rushing and got killed all game long. My point on the carolina game was lovie made no adjustments during that game as we continued to get beat like a drum.

Nick is dead on. The only difference between now and before defensively is the lack of creation of turnovers. we have never been good defensively in the gsot era.

I really do believe that some people are taking my posts out of context. I am not saying that the coaching is blameless, merely pointing out that you cant blame it ALL on marmie. The players are a big part of it as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast