RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I like what I see in Fred Russell

I haven't heard anyone mention Fred Russell. After two pre-season games, I think the guy has tremendous upside. He's a much different type of back than any of the other backs the Rams have, and I think it would be a nice mix to through him in there to spell Jackson. If he has any pass-catching skills, his quickness and burst of speed should be pretty valuable. I think he's got some value, but the talk is he's headed for the practice squad. Anybody else out there notice this guy? He's not an every down kinda guy, but in the right place, I like what I see.

IMHO

DaRamsBaby is offline Registered User

Re: I like what I see in Fred Russell

i think he would be a good kick returner cuz he does have that quickness and burst of speed..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I too liked what Russell had to offer last night. He had some nice runs, including one for 14 yards, scored a TD and caught 3 balls out of the backfield. He looked very versatile and showed some good bursts.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

He looked Faulkesque to me. I like him I watched him this winter.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Two years ago he was the preseason leading rusher on Miami Dolphins team and was cut after and he spend a season in NFLE last year with only 3.5 yds per carry. We have to be prudent with preseason games. I've not seen the game but with his small frame I have some doubt about this block abilities.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think he will be a valuable practice squad/ emergency RB. As TH pointed out, you have to take the pre-season with a grain of salt. I like the line-up of SJ, TF, and MW. Should something happen to one of them I think Russell could step in and do well.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Speaking of looking like Faulk..

Before you all jump on me about comparing this guy to Marshall, I'm not. BUT, with his burst and elusiveness, if he has any pass catching ability, why not use him in certain circumstances? Can you imagine him catching a pass out of the backfield against a LB?

..but I do like the idea of using him as a return man. Why not? And you wouldn't be risking Curtis or another starter? Hmmmmm..

Me thinks we're on to something.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

how can you even compare a NFL europe rb to the greatest rams running back of all time

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I know I'm an Iowa Fan but I always did think that Fred would make a good Backup NFL Back. I mean if you have some power guy like SJ or Deuce M. you can put in a back like him and let him tear around for awhile. Yes this is preseason but I think he looks good.

I agree put him at KR. I think he could be the next Dante Hall. He has extreme quickness and burts and exceptional speed. The only reason that he didn't go all the way on the Run against the colts was that White guy was superfast!
    RamsFan16

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I think he could be the next Dante Hall. He has extreme quickness and burts and exceptional speed.!
    Many players have great quickness and speed. They're not all going to be the next Dante Hall.

I really wish when someone shows flashes of being good, fans wouldn't instantly say "He's going to be the next ____________" or "This guy is our version of _______" or "This guy is going to be a Pro Bowler." People in general are far too quickly to overreact about flashes of strong play.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Faulkesque, I almost fell out of chair ! IMPO, this guy will be lucky if he makes the practice squad never mind the 53 man roster. Maybe if he's any good at tackling he could make the kick-off coverage team. That seems to be the area that needs the most attention at this point in time.

:O

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    how can you even compare a NFL europe rb to the greatest rams running back of all time
    I did, and I can do it easily. Allthough this guy played against 2nd and 3rd string guys. I look at pure athletic ability, He as the elusiveness of Faulk, the speed to get to the corner quickly. At any moment he looks like he can break one for the endzone. If the guy can catch out of the backfield then it's something that should be looked at. Faulk had to put together a body of work to become the player he is today. I feel that this guy has and ability to become that type of threat. Could you imagine a backfield with this guy and Jackson? How do you prepare for them?

No one is taking away from Faulk and his prescense he brings to the game. I'm grateful to having been able to watch him play. but he's a shell of himself and I don't know if he can play with the knees he has. If this kid can hold on to the ball like Faulk man. I would hate to see a team like the ***** get him.

Football is football and this guy can ball.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Faulkesque, I almost fell out of chair ! IMPO, this guy will be lucky if he makes the practice squad never mind the 53 man roster. Maybe if he's any good at tackling he could make the kick-off coverage team. That seems to be the area that needs the most attention at this point in time.

:O
    You need to be able to look at things objectively. I said Faulkesque casue he did things that Faulk would do. I no way did I say he was as good as or better than Faulk. Every player starts somewhere. This kid can ball. End of Story. You would have though I said we should be starting him, some of you fans never cease to amaze me. As much as I would love to have Faulk back I don't think he can play at that level anymore. Just like I would love to have Eric Dickerson back. We have a great starter in Jackson, and I think this kid can fill in on special situations. He and Jackson in the same backfield will cause problems for teams.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-21-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Geez, you mention Marshall's name in the same sentence as a rookie and all hell breaks out.. :O

As I said, I'm not saying Russell is as good as Faulk, (for crying out loud, the guy is a HOFer) but rather, that the skills and running styles have certain similarities, and thus, could be used in similar ways. If you've got a guy that has a burst like he does, then you get him the ball in the open field. Pretty basic stuff, wouldn't you think? If that means throwing him the ball out of the backfield, great. If it means using him to return punts/KO's, even better. With the big bruising backs we have now, a little "change-up" may be a valuable weapon.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My response wasn't to the present Marshall Faulk, It was to the HOF Marshall Faulk. Hopefully you guys are right, I just don't see it.

:r :x