Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I look forward to the end of the blind squirrel regime

Sometimes the truth is clear, but we don't face it head on because we just don't want to believe. That probably explains my mindset during the reign of the "Three Blind Squirrels" (Georgia Frontiere, John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt). I simply did not want to believe that the Rams organization was being held back from the very top.

Of course, the glory years of 1999-2001 made it easy to argue that our ownership/management team was, at a minimum, adequate. But, as many have pointed out recently, that was a mere blip on a long-time trend of mediocrity (or worse). Thus, our "Blind Squirrels" stumbled upon the proverbial acorn.

From what I'm reading, though, the end may be imminent. It is clear that Georgia Frontiere's failing health will result in a transfer of ownership before long. Once that happens, we may see wholsale changes at the top. Truth be told, the owner of the Rams in... say... 2009 or 2010 may be a person who's name we don't now know, or at least have not contemplated.

So, though I've been pushing for change at the coaching level, perhaps it even bigger than that.

2008 may be status quo, but I think there are some big changes on the horizen, and that is something to truly look forward to.

Heck, I waited 20 years between the Rams Super Bowls before. If it must take a few years to become the type of franchise we can really be proud of, I'll wait again.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: I look forward to the end of the blind squirrel regime

Ah, the 'blind squirrel' metaphor. Applicable, I've found, to most instances in everyday life.

The great thing about that metaphor is that, even people who don't understand it will occasionally, and by mere chance, use it in its correct context.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The great thing about that metaphor is that, even people who don't understand it will occasionally, and by mere chance, use it in its correct context.

Very true, AV.

Much like S.L.O.P. reminds me of a dog worrying a bone.

If one repeats something enough times some people will start to believe it is true.

One can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time but one cannot fool all the the people all the time.

Right wrong or in between I support every one's right to their interpretation of what might be transpiring as our team falters and their right to express their opinion(s) as well as the amicable point-counter-point :ldiscussions continue.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

It will be very interesting to see what happens with new owners and if they will be from St. Louis or L.A. According to Bernie new owners may demand a new stadium, something the city of St. Louis will NEVER go for. That will give the new owners an opportunity to move the franchise in 2015.

Coming in September 2015...

The Orlando Rams!

(well, if R&D is right, all I need to do is keep repeating this and it might come true!)

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Florida already has 2 losing teams?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

How about Vegas, at least you don't have the expectation of winning.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I do to, but I sadly don't think this will be Linehan's last year, I think he's here for another season, or two.
    RamsFan16

Avenger, you're not having a go at me are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Avenger, you're not having a go at me are you?
    Um... no... I was being ironic.

You see, I was suggesting that even a person who does not understand the metaphor (a blind squirrel) will occasionally....

Oh, never mind.

Um... no... I was being ironic.

You see, I was suggesting that even a person who does not understand the metaphor (a blind squirrel) will occasionally....

Oh, never mind.
    Ha, sorry, reading too much into it.

Maybe a little too much egg nog and egocentricity for me last night?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Ha, sorry, reading too much into it.

Maybe a little too much egg nog and egocentricity for me last night?
    It's best to watch out for the posting while drinking posts. They can be dangerous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

To add something to this thread, I thought I'd post a review written a while back about the Rams, Ms. Georgia & Mr. Shaw. (I had to clean it up a tad, to allow it to be posted) It kind of summarizes the days in LA, and what happened to this glorious team since the dancer and the penny-pincher took control.

by Dick Grabowsky

There was a time when Los Angeles was considered one of the crown jewels of the NFL. In the early 1950s, the Los Angeles Rams were perhaps the most exciting offensive team in the entire history of the sport. Featuring Bob Waterfield, Norm Van Brocklin, Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch, Tank Younger and Tom Fears, the Rams set 22 NFL offensive records, some that still stand today. They played in two consecutive championship games, winning one in 1951, and changed the game from one based primarily on running to one that featured a dynamic and exciting mix of aerial acrobatics and power running, making them the template for the modern game. The team also produced the game's greatest commissioner, Pete Rozelle, who acted as the team's head of public relations.
    The Rams played in one of the most historic stadiums on the planet -- the Los Angeles Memorial Colisuem. Home to the 1932 Olympics, the neoclassic shell was the model for modern stadiums across the United States, including virtually every football stadium in the Midwest and Southeast. Able to hold as many as 110,000 fans, it hosted the Rams, USC Trojans and UCLA Bruins for the better part of the 20th century. Located not 10 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, across the street from the Natural History Museum and the campus of USC, the Coliseum was surrounded by a middle-class neighborhood housing a fanbase that walked to the stadium to see games. During the '50s, the Rams averaged 83,000 fans per game.

After a lull in popularity and quality play in the early '60s, the Rams re-emerged later in the decade as an NFL powerhouse. By the mid-'70s, the Rams were consistent winners stocked with Hall of Fame-caliber talent. Despite consistently choking in championship games, they rebuilt their fan base and dominated their division for an entire decade.

In early 1979, owner Carrol Rosenbloom decided to follow the money and move the Rams to Anaheim. At the time, Orange County was booming and experiencing enormous growth in both population and local business. Boosted by the team's only Super Bowl appearance in Los Angeles following the '79 season, the Rams sold out their last five games at the much smaller Anaheim Stadium in 1980.
    But with the mysterious drowning of Rosenbloom in April 1979, the Rams were taken over by his widow -- former Miami showgirl, alleged Joseph Kennedy f*** buddy and St. Louis native Georgia Rosenbloom (later Frontiere, after she married a seventh time). She immediately fired Carroll's handpicked successor and son, Steve Rosenbloom, then followed through on the move to Anaheim and installed a bottom-line hatchet man named John Shaw as team president who began cutting costs and driving away top-tier talent.
    First it was Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback Vince Ferragamo, who went to play in the CFL after an acrimonious contract dispute. He returned to Los Angeles two years later but was never the same player. Pro Bowl linebackers Bob Brudzinski and Jack Reynolds left for Miami and San Francisco, respectively, when Frontiere refused to give them market-level contracts. Brudzinski played in a Super Bowl with the Dolphins, and Reynolds won two with the *****.

In 1987 Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson was traded to the Colts for a total of three first-round draft picks. After he was refused a raise after setting the single-season rushing record in 1984, Dickerson held out for a new contract in 1985. Even though he carried the Rams offense for the better part of four seasons, he was vilified in the press as a greedy ******* and was sent packing. Almost all of the picks the Rams got in the trade turned out to be busts.
    Subsequently, after a brief flirtation with winning in 1989 and Jim Everett's decision to begin estrogen therapy, the team wallowed in mediocrity. Sellouts became few and far between as Frontiere eschewed advertising and promotions, much less fielding a winning team, and instead relied on the NFL's generous television revenue-sharing agreement to generate profits while concurrently complaining that she was operating in the red.

Local newspaper columnists would consistently criticize the team's personnel moves, while the ***** would pick up key free agents and keep winning Super Bowls. Meanwhile, the Rams, armed with a larger population and revenue base, would consistently underspend, underperform and lose to the Niners. Frontiere would generally counter that she could not afford to bring in big contracts, because fans would not show up to support the team. In her bass-ackwards mind, she expected fans to show up and support a ****ty team before she would reward them with a consistent winner. Instead, the greater Los Angeles area got to watch them lose to the Saints and start retreads like Bert Jones, never-would-bes like Jeff Kemp, brain-damaged lug nuts like Chris Miller or who-the-f***-is-he guys like Dieter Brock at quarterback.

*****, please.

By the early '90s, with Anaheim Stadium almost empty, Frontiere demanded a lucrative stadium deal with the city of Anaheim and threatened to leave Southern California. When folks in Orange County balked and withdrew an offer to develop land next to Anaheim Stadium, and the Los Angeles City Council also told her to get f***ed, Frontiere stripped the team of talent, hired an old, outdated coach in Chuck Knox and blatantly turned the Rams into a horrendous loser so she could easily move the team without fear of public outrage or lawsuits.
    In 1994, she got her wish when the city of St. Louis, which had been spurned by the NFL only a couple years earlier when they lost an expansion franchise to Jacksonville, offered the use of a publicly financed $260 million stadium and an annual cash payout of $22 million to move the Rams to her hometown in 1995. At first, the NFL was opposed to the deal and would not allow her to move the team. That is until someone proposed she share some of that $22 million per year with the other owners.

Frontiere jumped at the deal, while people in Los Angeles and behind the Orange Curtain practically danced in the streets as the foul odor of her rotten stench wafted away to the Midwest.

Pretty much summarizes the Rams since Ms. G took over. Until Georgia, Shaw and the rest of her cronnies are gone, we're stuck in mediocrity, with only a slight hope of catching lightning in a bottle every 20 years or so. :\
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I am curious how Dick Grabowsky (or whatever his real name is) explains the '80s. I'm no fan of GF &/or Shawgmunt, but the 80's were actually a pretty nice decade........certainly better than the 90's.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast