AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I look at the GSOT the same way I look at my Freshman year in college.

From time to time, I read comments from Rams fans in which it is suggested that this player or that coach might be able to “bring back the GSOT.”

I, frankly, don’t want it back.

I look at the GSOT kind of the same way I look back at my freshman year in college.

Sure, my freshman year was great fun. It was a time of reckless abandon, experiencing new things, and pushing the envelope. But, even then, I knew it couldn’t last. Eventually, I knew I’d have to grow up, and adopt a more conservative approach to life, calculated towards long-term and lasting success, rather than instant gratification. Like most people, I settled down and approached life in a more conventional manner, and that has lead to lasting success both professionally and on a personal level.

The GSOT likewise was great fun. The team played with reckless abandon, and fans experienced new things as the offense pushed the envelope. But the GSOT could not last. Eventually, defenses caught up, and the team had to adopt a more conservative approach. By settling down and playing a more conventional style of football, I believe that the team will find lasting success both on offense, and as a team overall.

So let’s keep the GSOT in the past, where it belongs. We’ll never forget it, and we’ll always treasure it. But its time to move on.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: I look at the GSOT the same way I look at my Freshman year in college.

Agreed. It's silly to compare our play to a style of play from many years ago. If people keep expecting our team to be like a team in the past, they're just going to be disappointed. It's time to embrace the fact that we have an entirely new team, and an entirely new direction to move that team in.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    From time to time, I read comments from Rams fans in which it is suggested that this player or that coach might be able to “bring back the GSOT.”

I, frankly, don’t want it back.

I look at the GSOT kind of the same way I look back at my freshman year in college.

Sure, my freshman year was great fun. It was a time of reckless abandon, experiencing new things, and pushing the envelope. But, even then, I knew it couldn’t last. Eventually, I knew I’d have to grow up, and adopt a more conservative approach to life, calculated towards long-term and lasting success, rather than instant gratification. Like most people, I settled down and approached life in a more conventional manner, and that has lead to lasting success both professionally and on a personal level.

The GSOT likewise was great fun. The team played with reckless abandon, and fans experienced new things as the offense pushed the envelope. But the GSOT could not last. Eventually, defenses caught up, and the team had to adopt a more conservative approach. By settling down and playing a more conventional style of football, I believe that the team will find lasting success both on offense, and as a team overall.

So let’s keep the GSOT in the past, where it belongs. We’ll never forget it, and we’ll always treasure it. But its time to move on.
    Geez Av ... what a tease .. you left out all the good stuff you experienced in your freshman year. If you're gonna compare your freshman year in college with the GSOT, don't you think at least one story is appropriate? Then everyone can see the similarities individually if you will .. So, c'mon Av - don't hold out on us .. I'm sure there's lots of rep just waiting for a good story or two .. Anyone else with me on this one ??

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Geez Av ... what a tease .. you left out all the good stuff you experienced in your freshman year. If you're gonna compare your freshman year in college with the GSOT, don't you think at least one story is appropriate? Then everyone can see the similarities individually if you will .. So, c'mon Av - don't hold out on us .. I'm sure there's lots of rep just waiting for a good story or two .. Anyone else with me on this one ??
    Um....

"Around the World" party...

Road trip to L.L. Bean in Freeport, Maine wit truck stop breakfast at 3:00 a.m. on the drive back...

Musical dorm rooms...

Naked quad run...

I'll say no more.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Um....

"Around the World" party...

Road trip to L.L. Bean in Freeport, Maine wit truck stop breakfast at 3:00 a.m. on the drive back...

Musical dorm rooms...

Naked quad run...

I'll say no more.
    That's much better than breakfast in the quad and running naked into a truck stop. Yea, that would not end well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I agree, but I do sometimes miss decisions like "our punter is out?".."then we go for it on all 4th downs!" Man that was a heck of a game!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

A road trip to LL Bean?! Oooh, you wild man !

Next you'll scandalize us all with a confession that you maxed out your Visa on penny loafers & pastel-colored button down Oxford shirts.

My lawyer has advised me not to reveal details of my wildest "trips" at Berkeley except to say that some of them involved no actual travelling at all...and there was no engine in that abandoned car in which I passed out so it wasn't all my fault...

Seriously though, I agree with your point about GSOT. It was a thrilling but unsustainable approach. And I can honestly say that I found the defensively-ferocious Rams of the late 60s & 70s equally thrilling as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    A road trip to LL Bean?! Oooh, you wild man !
    Its not the destination, man...

Its the journey.

Wow... that was deep.

maineram is offline Registered User

Can't believe LL Bean as THE destination with it being 8 miles from my house ............ WOW !! Coming from Florida ??, that would be quite the trip.

I am interested to hear how that conversation came about to head to Bean's, as we call it ???

I agree, looking to repeat past glories can lead to big failures and major setbacks.
    Special time and place !!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

I didn't go to college in Florida (that WOULD be a long trip!). I went to Tufts University in Medford, Mass. (just outside Boston). It was about 2.5 hours to L.L. Bean. The reason that was a great road trip destination was that the store is open 24/7. So, if there weren't any good parties on campus, we could leave at 11:00, get there at 1:30, hang out for a while, get breakfast at some greasy spoon truck stop restaurant, and still make it back to campus on Sunday just in time to sleep a couple of hours before the football games began.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend (when you're 19, that is).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You're right the GSOT is a thing of the past but the GDOT is right around the corner.