AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I love all the camp reports, but...

There are two things that make me snicker a bit.

1. The "Starting Lineup" Comments

Does anyone really think that it matters who the starters are at this point in the positions that are up for grabs? There is are still many practices and four preseason games to determine who will be the starters. So... yes, it is notable that a rookie like Claude Terrell has made an impression. But some seem to think that means he'll be the starter on opening day. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

2. The "so-and-so didn't look good today" comments.

Again, its a question of degree. When someone says that a player looked out of position and was yelled at by the coaches, that's one thing. But I've heard things like - "Pisa Tinoisamoa needs to hold up better at the point of attack" from the same people who also comment on how well an OT or TE is blocking. Well - here's a thought... if a Ram player lines up against another Ram player, one is bound to "win" the battle on that play. Does that mean one player is great and the other stinks? Maybe they're both great players and one just prevailed. Maybe they both stink.

I'll make my evaluations when the Rams actually play another team.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: I love all the camp reports, but...

I agree. Fans really should not read too much into the training camp reports. I would venture to say that a lot of things are done for motivation of players at this point.

Right now I'm having a hard time believing how great Arch looks at FS, RS, LS or S. Has the guy ever got bad reviews? Even when he has looked like crap, which has been often, he gets good reviews.

I'm thinking the Rams should demote Arch to second string to help motivate him into earning the starting position. Besides, once he has been demoted, some reporter is bound to say he looked like crap.

:O

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Ferter........i know what you are thinking but, i for one don't believe that Arch is the type of player that needs a fire lit under his Arse to get productivity out of him!............but, i do know what you are saying here! Alot of players these days need a bon fire to wake them up!

maineram is offline Registered User

I love all the reports from all angles and from all reporters. Yes it is early in training camp, and things are going to change almost daily with some positions and the depth. But I say keep them all coming, all of them. I'll sort through the blah, blah, blah. It's football season and speculation (s) are running RAMpart !!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RealRam is offline Registered User

The old adage fits perfectly: don't believe everything you read.

Must agree with MaineRam here. It's preseason, writers 'have' to report on the activities, write about rookies they don't know, jab at any little story, fill up space, etc.

Season after season, the same plays out and it's the duty of fans to be "optimistic and positive" and accept adulations or to be "pesimistic and suspicious" and question every note.

I thus like the open judgement, Avenger, about "loving all the camp reports".

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Ferter........i know what you are thinking but, i for one don't believe that Arch is the type of player that needs a fire lit under his Arse to get productivity out of him!............but, i do know what you are saying here! Alot of players these days need a bon fire to wake them up!
    No worries tta.

I was being facetious.

Arch is one of my favorite targets.

its all good

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I haven't seen anyone appear as if they've taken these camp reports as set in stone. But some of us find it interesting to follow the camp battles and progress that our players have, especially those we haven't had the chance of seeing in horns yet. I don't think that's anything to snicker at.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!