moklerman is offline Registered User

I miss Tony Banks and Lawrence Phillips

I can't even watch the game any more. The Rams get a gift and can't capitilize with ANY points. They've been struggling all night and instead of putting points on the board, getting the score within 8 Martz calls a fake field goal!?!

I hated the middle 90's but I had no expectations for the Rams back then. I knew they were bad. Now, I get to have that with the current team. I'm sorry to be so negative, but I looked forward to this game all week and the Rams are nothing more than the Keystone Lambs. This is truly awful tonight. The worst part is, it's mostly mental. The Rams have the talent but don't have the brains.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: I miss Tony Banks and Lawrence Phillips

I hear ya...

I'm actually proud of these Rams, but I agree... There's so much more expectation with this team.

I miss Chris Miller and Todd Kinchen. I used to go to this bar and it was only me and this one other guy who were rams fans. We had fun. I guess it's time to accept that free agency has caught up with this team and that the defense needs rebuilding. I think Arch, lewis, polley, Kennedy, etc... are all busts this year. too bad.

Like your sig about Warner. Think about it. We could be 5-6 with Kurt Warner right now. Somehow that would be OK. Nothing against MB, just would rather be losing with the guy who brought it all home.

games not over, but perhaps the season is. Go RAMS.

raminsyr is offline Registered User

I could not agree more with you. So much talent, so little output. I won't question their heart because it's not that they don't have any, it's just that I don't see any. So much wasted talent............ :disappoin

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    and instead of putting points on the board, getting the score within 8 Martz calls a fake field goal!?!
    As Wilkins showed us earlier in the night, a 42-yarder was no gimme tonight. I didn't really like the call either, but we shouldn't pretend that the kick was going to be automatic.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Tony Banks and Lawrence Phillips!?!?!?!?!!

tanus is offline Registered User

I didn't mind going for the fake field goal as nobody was really expecting it in that situation as it would have made it a 8 point game. the fake that was called was just absolutely terrible. that is the part that pisses me off. do we really expect our kicker to be able to run 10 yards to get a first down!?!?! i would have preferred to see looker roll out and have the option to run himself or hit someone like manu out in the flat. just a bonehead play call is what it boils down to in reality.

I remember, years ago, when that play worked for Wilkins. But that was in a dome I'm pretty sure. The frozen tundra of Lambeau was not a good situation. I thought GB got robbed on the call too since Wilkins had the ball stripped.

Again, it's the timing of Martz's calls that really kills me. In that situation you go for the field goal. There should have been a pre-snap read to see if the defense was lined up favorably for the fake to work. GB was sitting on that play and stuffed it with authority so I have to assume that they weren't fooled at all.

You're right Nick, it wasn't automatic that Wilkins would make a 42 yarder after missing one but going for it is what I meant. The whole game was just a microchasm of the current Rams. Davenport, a fullback with 2 weak hamstrings ran for 178? I can't even process how bad that is. The offense isn't even remotely intimidating to defenses any more and I think some changes need to be made from top to bottom this off-season.

This isn't a case of waiting for the system, players and coaches to develop a chemistry. The Rams still have the luxury of being in a relatively weak division but they better do something drastic to get the offense and defense producing again. I was very against the idea of getting rid of Faulk and Pace but I have changed my tune. There isn't anything left resembling the Greatest Show on Turf days so guys like Faulk, Pace, Aeneas and Wilkins who aren't producing at a high level just need to be dumped or traded while there is still some value for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming them or saying that they're finished, only that they don't produce enough to make a difference on the current Rams team. Pace isn't nearly dominant enough to anchor the line and keep Bulger safe or get any kind of push for a running game. Faulk isn't putting up numbers but is the victim of ridiculous running plays. Aeneas...well, he's over the hill. Wilkins is way too inconsistent to be pulling down the millions he's being paid. Get a rookie for the league minimum and similar results.

I have no idea what to do about the defense other than what was done when Lovie was brought in. Blow the whole thing up, bring in an up and coming D Coordinator or guy like Wannstedt and give him carte blanche. Split the salary cap down the middle and go from there.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Screwtommantalleywagona(another new word) This just really sucked! :upset:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RamTime Guest

Of all the low things I could think to say about the rams this never even entered my mind. I mean Phony Blanks and Lawrence Phillips? Never in a hundred years would I wish that on my worst enemy. My, what a short memory we have. Just the name of Phony "I should be robbing banks" Clanks makes me shutter. It makes me greatful for what we have now. Thanks for putting a positive spin on things for me. Nothing tested my loyalty more then watching that blundering idiot walk up behind center. And FYI the Rams had almost as much talent in 1998 as they did in 1999 which should be proof enough just how pathetic that pretender of a QB was even to the fickle masses who at that time DUH just did not see how the rams woes were Tony Clanks fault. Yes especially you Mr. Vermeil!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Calm down RT,The downward spiral has been coming for sometime. At the least I wish DICK was still here! :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Y'know, as bad as the memory of Tony Banks sticks with most of us Rams fans, the real turning point in 1998 was when Greg Bell got hurt against Buffalo. He was looking REAL good and you could see the talent on the rest of the team that would emerge in 1999. Banks had a couple of good games in 1998 and before the whole team imploded I could actually see potential in the guy.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't deal with his inconsistency on top of everything else right now but I often wonder what his career would have been like had there been a couple of little differences. That reminds me, the Rams bad decisions date so far back that I can't remember. I was reminded, while reminicsing about TB, of Steve Walsh. God, what was Brooks thinking? Walsh was weak-armed before he was injured. Rypien, Bono, aaahhhggh, the bad memories are flooding back. 1999. 1999. 1999. 1999. I've gotta go to my happy place.

RamTime Guest

I often wonder what his career would have been like had there been a couple of little differences.
    A couple of differences? He had Bruce, Hakim, Proehl, Roland Williams, Jeff Robinson, Eddie Kennison to throw to and Pace to Protect his worthless ass. Or maybe a couple of chances like in Baltimore, then Washington, Then Dallas where he couldn't even make the roster? I think Clanks got more then enough chances. 2 1/2 years with the Rams only proved one thing. That is, Dick Vermeil was smoking crack.

I was at the first game Clanks played in which was in SF where he was thrown to the wolves inside the rams 5 yard line. He took a vicious hit near the end line but got the ball off and it fell incomplete. That was the best I ever saw him play.

Remember in Minnehaha when he dove to the ground on the one yard line with 6 seconds left, (presumably to save his worthless ass from getting injured) then the referee stood over him waiting for him to call a timeout except the worthless piece of crap that he was forgot to call a time out allowing the game to end and our chance to win go with it?

Or when he failed to get on the plane after what was a terrible performance? Yes terrible even for Phony Clanks.

How the hell anyone ever saw potential in this goof is completely beyond any rational comprehension.

The Phony one is the only former ram that I refer to as an X-ram. I don't even want his ass in St. Louis never mind in a blue and gold uniform.

Believe me, I agree with a lot of the things you're saying. I've had my perspective changed a little in the past couple of years though and am not so quick to blame everything on the qb. You mention Banks never doing anything good for the Rams but in the Minnesota game you refer to I saw a guy, thanks to the NFL replay on NFL network, have a horrible first half, not give up and almost bring the Rams to victory.

Overall, he had a bad game with the early pick's, but I saw the most beautiful bomb ever thrown in that game. 80 yards to #80, down the right sideline. I saw good passes dropped and overall a lot of on the field potential. His personality and off the field issues were obviously another story but the SF game is one of the little differences that I was referring to. I think that game ruined Tony Banks as a qb.

So, while I'm glad he left, pissed that Green went down, happy that Warner and the Rams won the Super Bowl, I still can't help but wonder "what if". Of all the qb's that the Rams have had in the last 10 years he's still the best athlete. Best arm strength by far. I think I'd really like to see the Rams offense, if it makes it through this latest crisis, run by a qb that has a gun for an arm. Green, Warner, Bulger...all have NFL arms, but they aren't strong arms by any means. What would the offense be like if the qb wasn't throwing to spots and zipping it in to a small opening?