RamTime Guest

I Over looked this cheap shot. (Fair warning, your going to be pissed.)

4 players involved in this play, 2 Rams receivers (receiver A & receiver B) and 2 Patriot defenders covering pass (defender A & defender B). Defender A lines up tight on Receiver A who is split wide left. Defender A wraps his arms around Receiver A and rides him 6 yards downfield slanting over the middle.

Receiver B is running a cross pattern with Defender B in tow. While Defender A is entagled with Receiver A Defender B breaks off his pass coverage of Receiver B then goes in into the back of receiver A's legs while Defender A pushes Receiver A over Defender B.

Look here

Rams are penalized for offensive pass interference which none of the 4 players mentioned above were involved in nor was the football thrown in the area. Look here

viper is offline Registered User

Re: I Over looked this cheap shot. (Fair warning, your going to be pissed.)

You're right RamTime, it doesn't get any more blatant than that. Even receiver B stopped running his route in disbelief!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pretty disgusting. I'm not entirely convinced it was a cheap shot in the first video, but for Conwell to be called for PI while the first video went unpenalized is ridiculous by itself.

RamTime Guest

I don't know what more convincing one needs. Surely they are not going to hold up a sign that says I just delivered a cheap shot so we must use our eyes along with common sense. Defender B was upright then suddenly he goes to the ground behind the receiver. No one pushes him, he does not stumble, he does not put his hands up, and he goes to the ground behind the receiver. Why did he stop covering his man? If I was to play along and say that his momentum did not allow him to stop from running into the back of the receiver (which I don't) there is still that little problem of deciding to go in low below the waste. Let me ask you this. Do you think he was being held before the low blow or was that questionable? Play devils advocate because seriously I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    Do you think he was being held before the low blow or was that questionable? Play devils advocate because seriously I want to know.
    Yes, I believe Receiver A was held past the five yard mark, but I don't believe Defender B was going to the ground to set up a cheap shot. I think he stayed on who I believe is Torry Holt up until the last second when he noticed the other pair coming his way and just tried to avoid direct contact by ducking. You'll notice he falls backwards after making contact, which seems to dispute the idea that he was aiming to take someone's legs out, as I would think someone trying to accomplish that would dive for the legs and thus go forward. It's my opinion that there are better examples of the Pats using illegal and perhaps cheap shot tactics than this one.

RamTime Guest

So you think he ducked straight down to avoid contact?

If someone is running directly at you (foreword or backward)and is unable to voluntarily change direction due to another force that is dictating the course he is traveling and you really truly want to avoid contact with that person, do you

A. duck lower?
    or do you
    B. attempt to side step that person?

Conversely

If someone is running directly at you (forward or backward)and is unable to voluntarily change direction due to another force that is dictating the course he is traveling and you really truly want to cause physical harm to that person, do you
    A. duck lower?
    or do you
    B. attempt to side step that person?

When going at the lower leg it does not take a ferocious hit to disable a person.

Here is what I think happened. I think he had every intention of hitting our receiver low but then tried to pull out of it. As stated that was low even for a new england player. If this game did not have so many other blatant personal fouls and cheap shots then I could entertain the idea that maybe he just got scared and ducked down behind our receivers legs. It is a reach at minimum to believe an NFL player ducked to avoid contact with someone who was being held and someone that was in a vulnerable position running backward. He decided to go at the legs and pretend that it was some kind of accident. After he is on the ground and he has taken out our receiver he scans the field presumably for penalty flags. I bet he was relieved when they called Pass interference on Conwell because you know damned well he thought that flag was for him.

Hey Nick what we need is a neutral party.

Perhaps we should set up a jury to try each of the clips and see how it comes out. Someone who doesn't care about the Rams or the Patriots or Football for that matter. Yes that's it! We need 12 whiner fans on the jury because they know nothing about football except of course "5".
    LOL

You might be right. I'm just not convinced that that specific clip was an example of what you speak of. It seems our opinions differ on this matter.