Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I reject the notion of the "GSOT II"

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I reject the notion of the "GSOT II"

With the addition of Tavon Austin, Jared Cook and Stedman Bailey, there is an expectation that a more explosive, big-play offense will emerge.

I'm all for that. The Rams have lacked the ability to make game-changing plays on a consistent basis for several years. They've lacked speed on the outside, and players who can turn short receptions into long gains.

I reject, however, the idea that this will be the Greatest Show on Turf II.

The GSOT era was amazing. The Rams were the most exciting team in the league, and could do things that no other team could do. I understand the temptation to bring back the GSOT.

But the GSOT was unique. It can't be replicated simply by drafting or signing a bunch of fast, talented WRs.

Even it it could be replicated, I'm not sure I'd want it to be. While the GSOT was amazing, it was never built to last. The element of surprise can only last so long. More importantly, a QB can only last so long in Min-Protect scheme that Mike Martz employed.

I'd rather the Rams find a new path. One that incorporates elements of the GSOT, but also focuses on a goal of long-term success.

We can always come up with a new nickname. Let the GSOT be what it is: a brief shining moment in the history of the Rams.

chucknbob is online now Registered User

Re: I reject the notion of the "GSOT II"

Agreed. Part of what made the GSOT so great was the surprise factor of it. Not only did we go from bad to great over the course of one offseason, but NOBODY expected our second string, grocery bagging, no name QB to step up and do what he did. Warner's back story helped make that team what it was.

No offense to Bradford, but when you pay a QB $100,000,000 you expect him to lead a team like that.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

I don't think people are expecting this offense to be the next GSOT. I don't even think of it as a comparison, really.

What people see right now is a team that has been statistically one of the worst offenses for some time loading up with playmakers, speed, and talent. They see a team that has heavily invested in a QB, without finding the right support for that QB. They see a team that is ready to make a transition from the bottom of the league, to potentially a top 10 team.

That same team just happens to be the team everyone called the GSoT 13 years ago. Of course the comparisons will come out. It's an easy out for a nickname for this particular group.

I agree that the GSoT will never be replicated, and even if Austin and Stedman turn out to be 1000 yard receivers and probowlers, fan favorites, and household names, they won't be Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce and Holt. Even if Bradford develops into the top QB that we hope he will be, he won't be Kurt Warner. If Richardson, Stacy, or Pead becomes a feature back, they'll never be Faulk.

The GSoT is one of the defining moments I have as a Rams fan. It's the era where I started to become a football fan and what drew me to the Rams. What I see with all these comparisons is not an attempt to replace the original GSoT. I see respect. Teams are starting to respect the Rams. No longer do you mark "W" against STL on your schedule and look forward to the next game. People are starting to fear our offense as much as our defense, and that's a good thing!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let the GSOT be what it is: a brief shining moment in the history of the Rams.
    Now wait just a doggone minute here Mr. Aaaaaaaa-Venger.

There aint no way I'm gone let you shortchange the GSOT like'at.

No sir, aint gone let'cha.

Now you get this through yer thick skull, cowboy

The GSOT was a brief but illuminating moment in the history of the NFL.

citr92 is offline Registered User

GSOT was when i first started to watch football to know what was going on during the season...six years old, and 90% of my favorite players are from the GSOT
    i don't know of many teams that can produce legitimate favorite WRs, QB, and RB on not their favorite team, but in the NFL as a whole
    not only do i think they shouldn't be the GSOT because it wasn't just them being good on the field...it's also how it happened

but this team deserves their own identity, they aren't the same, similar maybe...but at this point in time it's too early to tell

but we'll see the new rams form their own identity and be named accordingly
    Last edited by citr92; -05-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Besides, we need to first get this 'Show on the road' so to speak!

That is, M A K E it a show to begin with, a team with its talent and act together, gelled and cohesive, etc. Then, once all the requirements are fulfilled, P R O D U C E close to those amazing numbers that were indeed the awesome record setting machine of the Rams GSOT, a once in a lifetime event as Fortun' said.

That's quite a ways away.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-02-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Wink

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

No one should ever, EVER, refer to a great Rams fan like AvengerRam, as "cowboy", not even in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    No one should ever, EVER, refer to a great Rams fan like AvengerRam, as "cowboy", not even in jest.
    LOL. I'm sure I've been called worse.

Trevor is offline Registered User

GSOT we had an Elite line, Elite QB, Pair of Elite WRs, and an Elite RB. The Rams don't have any of those.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    GSOT we had an Elite line, Elite QB, Pair of Elite WRs, and an Elite RB. The Rams don't have any of those.
    And an elite OC.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

If you want to make comparisons, I think our current defense can be significantly better than the Rams defense from 1999-2001.
    live4ramin and citr92 like this.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    Maybe instead: Partner, Li'l Buddy or Hoss?
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Maybe instead: Partner, Li'l Buddy or Hoss?
    Yippee-ka-yea-mutha-*****!!!!!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i have seen the Rams D-line referred to as the fearsome foursome long after Deacon,Merlin,Rosie and Lamar had hung up their helmets. i think some called the D-line the fearsome foursome up until when Jack Youngblood hung up his helmet in `85.

we should give this O a new moniker tho if it needs to have one..

the GSOT era was probably the most exciting times of our lives to date for every Rams fan still alive but this time around in a way it`s more exciting for me because under the GSOT era..it wasn`t built to last..Snead seems the best Front Office guy we have had since Charley Armey and the guy is pretty young with atleast 20 years of being our GM ahead of him. Fisher has about another 10-12 years as HC ahead of him and our team are much younger than ours was during the GSOT era...especially the year we won the SB.
    i really think we are attempting to build a dynasty..maybe we will fall short,it`s way too early to say but sustained success that bring about the title of dynasty is what the long term aim is for.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I'd like to think there is a GSOT 2.0 version out there.

Just like today, nobody would wanta use Windows 93 when there is Windows 8. Just as the Mad Martz forumla was good in its day, perhaps the Rams have an evil genious lurking in the Ram's war rooms and halls.

A new version of GSOT 2.0 could have the fundimentals of the present day game, but the ability to "surprise". I recall a few times with the Martz version M. Faulk would line up in the "I" the shift to the line as another wideout. I can't see why Fisher and Co. couldn't adapt some simular qualities.

The danger for any team is thinking too much inside the box. Current trends say RB are a dying possition within the NFL. Further how many FBs are out there--none jump to mind at this moment. But imagine if the Rams got a FB who could blow holes in the defense, pass catch and etc.

Yes the Rams on paper have the potentual of GSOT 2.0 with this years draft and free agents, and HC Fisher is a "gambler" and isn't afraid of the gimmick play. All GSOT 2.0 needs really is another M. Faulk 2.0 and a creative genius to adapt it to today's NFL
    gap likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast