AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I see a 3-4 defense in the Rams' future

First, let me be clear. I don't think the Rams have the right personnel to run a 3-4 defense right now. However, I do see the some building blocks who, with a couple of additions, could be part of a 3-4 unit.

Here's how I see it:

DE: In a 3-4 lineup, you need larger DEs who can hold up at the point of attack and stop the run. Adam Carriker would be a very good fit in this role. Victor Adeyanju could be as well.

NT: The 3-4 DT needs to be a big, space-eating, run-stuffing kind of player. Clifton Ryan is our best candidate for this role. We'd probably need to add another NT to the roster... some 350 lb. sumo wrestler type (who often are available in mid to late rounds of the draft).

OLB: The ends need to be good edge rushers and versitile enough to play in space as well. Chris Long fits this role (don't get me wrong, he's doing a fine job so far as a 4-3 DE, but I think he could succeed in either type of defense). Leonard Little could also fit, though his time is dwindling. Quinton Culberson is a possible candidate as well. Most likely, though, the Rams would probably draft someone for this role, as colleges are developing more and more of the DeMarcus Ware/Shawn Merriman types.

ILB: Witherspoon would make a very good 3-4 ILB. We'd need another one.

With a new coaching staff likely to be in the Rams' near future, this is something to think about.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: I see a 3-4 defense in the Rams' future

ive been thinking it for a while,its the linebackers that let us down really....think we`d not only need that Merriman/Ware type but also a thumper in the middle..let Spoon take care of coverage etc.. just someone to stay in the middle and should they get past Ryan, someone who will put them on the "liquid peas diet" for a week or two!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I completely agree with everything you said Av. While Long did play a 3-4 end in college, in the NFL he is more of the Merriman type, and should be able to play rather well in a 3-4, especially with another young stud across from him. Maybe that's Culberson, maybe it's not.

At the very least I think we need four draft picks this next year to attempt this change. A big, true inside LB, another OLB, a new SS to replace Chavous, and like you said, another big NT late. I think between Vic and Glover, one DE spot can be filled, and Carriker would start the other, with hall backing him up. Little is either trade bait, or will start opposite Long at OLB, which he has done, but not in many years, I believe. Pisa's too small for a 3-4, and so he's trade bait.

For an example depth chart with today's players I'd think it would go something like:
    SOLB ............SILB.................. WILB..................... WOLB
    Long .............Spoon ...............Culberson................ Little
    Draft.............Chamberlain .................................... Vobora

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    ive been thinking it for a while,its the linebackers that let us down really....think we`d not only need that Merriman/Ware type but also a thumper in the middle..let Spoon take care of coverage etc.. just someone to stay in the middle and should they get past Ryan, someone who will put them on the "liquid peas diet" for a week or two!
    How about Rey Maualuga for the "thumper" role? At the rate we are going, we won't have to wait for someone to "fall" to us in rd 1 ..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Completely agree, AV!

The line could go today, IMO.......Carriker, Ryan, Adeyanju/Hall

As you said, the backers make it a little trickier........Long & Little (OLB) and Spoon (ILB) are good to go now, though teeth is a problem.....Little (too long in the), Long (too short in the).

I think Draft, Culberson, and maybe Chamberlain could all contribute, though I have my doubts with Pisa unless his coverage skills improved.

I think too, the offloading of Chavous would be hastened by this move. A blitzing SS that can run support is more valuable to a 3-4 than whatever it is that Chavous brings to the table.

Some prospects that could look good in this new scheme:

NT - BJ Raji, Dorell Scott, Ron Brace, Sammie Lee Hill
    OLB - George Selvie (jr), Michael Johnson
    ILB - Rey Maulauga, Jasper Brinkley
    SS - William Moore, Nic Harris

Depending on what FAs are out there, and what coaching staff takes over, the 3-4 could be on the horizon.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    How about Rey Maualuga for the "thumper" role? At the rate we are going, we won't have to wait for someone to "fall" to us in rd 1 ..

definately...i would imagine that it will come down to him or one of the two LT prospects..Oher and the other guy whose name evades me at time of writing,but if we were to go down the 3-4 road,maybe OT would have to wait till next draft..to the horror of Marc!
    Safety seems to be a position that will be deep in talent come april so can address that position in the second or third round..somehow i think we gonna be picking early..

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    definately...i would imagine that it will come down to him or one of the two LT prospects..Oher and the other guy whose name evades me
    That would be Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

our main problem is our secondary. Everyone needs to go except for Bartell, and Manning. Hill could play nickel slot, but he needs to work on his fundementals.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

I am with you on the 3-4.

You got Ryan, Adeyanju, and Carricker for the line. Add a big thumper NT like Raji or Ron Brace and you will be set on the line.

LB is the problem. You have Chris Long. That is perfect. You have Witherspoon for the coverage ILB position. You could use an upgrade on Culberson but he will suffice for now maybe go with Selvie. You will need a ground stopping MLB. Jasper Brinkley or Rey Rey could fit the bill.

SS - Maybe a Courtney Greene in the 3rd round for that.

It may take a couple of drafts to secure the 3-4 personnel unless you can find a gem in the later round. Probably 2-3 yrs for the right personnel. We really need some beef on defense.

I think the offensive pick will dominate the first 2 rounds for the Rams in the 09 draft, so it might 3 yrs before you have all the piece of the puzzle for the 3-4.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

btimsah Guest

This team needs bigger, stronger linebackers. So here's what I would do.. Some serious rebuilding..

• RE - Adam Carriker
    • NT - Clifton Ryan
    • LE - James Hall
    • ROLB - Leonard Little
    • MLB - FREE AGENT/DRAFT
    • MLB - FREE AGENT/DRAFT
    • LOLB - Chris Long
    • CB - Free agent/Draft
    • CB - Free agent/Draft
    • FS - Otogwe
    • SS - DRAFT/FREE AGENT

LONG way to go.. Witherspoon and Pisa are far too weak versus the run to be manning the MLB spots in the 3-4, not to mention their also kinda weak in pass coverage. Our linebackers give up a lot of these runs and passes over the middle for a reason.
    Last edited by btimsah; -09-16-2008 at 02:47 PM.

sig51 is offline Registered User

Well if we ever had a shot at getting coach Cowher it would be a reality.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Personally, i think we should be running a 3-4-7. With 14 guys on the field and 7 in the secondary, we would have a legit shot at stopping teams from time to time. IF chaveous is one of the 14, i am not sure he really counts anymore anyway.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah
    Witherspoon and Pisa are far too weak versus the run to be manning the MLB spots in the 3-4, not to mention their also kinda weak in pass coverage.
    I agree that Pisa may not translate well to the 3-4, but I disagree about Spoon. He's as big or bigger than Patrick Willis, David Harris, Stephen Cooper, D'Qwell Jackson, Bradie James, James Farrior, Bart Scott and within 5-10 pounds of Tedy Bruschi and Ray Lewis.

Spoon is not too small to man the middle of the 3-4.