Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: I think I just watched the play that will get Spags fired

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Re: I think I just watched the play that will get Spags fired

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I have to agree with this.

Yes spags isnt causing false starts, he isnt dropping balls, he isnt opening holes, he isnt tackling etc.

But guess what he is doing....hes coaching these guys to make takcles, block, catch, not create turnovers, and apparently hes not doing a good job at it.

The team is only as good as the coaching staff.

what you all are saying is we could bring in some bum off the street and we'd win games as long as the players played right...yea, thatd happen, players would of course make the right plays and play good even with a guy coaching them who knows nothing about football.

yes i am exagerating a bit i know this, but saying its the players, and not the coach, is just rediculous. lets just say its both the players and the coach that are a problem. but you know what, with a diffrent coach, the players might be playing diffrent. with new players, the coach would still coach the same.
    Perfectly articulated.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    True, but injuries don't account for everything. Good teams find a way to persevere, or at the very least have the depth to stay competitive.
    How long has spags had to find depth to stay consistent? He has spent his first two years finding starters who could atleast compete. Cadillac williams was a good signing for depth at the beginning of the year, how is he doing now? Pretty bad is the answer.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

The professional excellence of this coaching staff is really beginning to show. 0-6........yippy!, let's go out and get some pizza and sodas.....or maybe we can go to the World Series game again tonight! If this was Little League it would be understandable. It isn't, but it's being coached and played that way. Seven weeks into the season and they can't hit their asses with either hand.
    RamDez and Tampa_Ram like this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm certainly...uhh...disenchanted with Spags at this point. I'm extremely disappointed with him and this team, it's so incredibly disheartening. I hate having to go through yet another Head Coach but it seems like that's the obvious fate for this bafflingly bad franchise.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Spags didnt miss multiple tackles. Spags didnt fumble the ball. Spags didnt make the O-line get zero push off the line. Spags didnt give Bradford a high ankle sprain. Everyone of you are getting incredibly annoying with your broken record blah blah blah FIRE SPAGS FIRE DEVANEY. Never blame the players it's always the coach. Sometimes the players have to take a little responsibility for their penalties and mistakes on the field. You can believe whatever you want but I can guarantee that the man or built a defense that stopped the highest scoring offense in history hasnt forgotten how to coach.
    Spags is the head coach or arguably the worst team in the NFL. While your message is logical it does not speak to the reality of the NFL. There are plethora of coaches that get fired for their teams' play, year in and year out. For exactly the position Spags is in with his team.

What exactly is the redeeming quality you see in spags AS HC of Rams, nt as s DC that adds credence to your stance?

Here are a few things I saw today that I believe lays firmly on coaching:

12 men on field that kept cowboys drive alive and allowed for a FG
    3 runs from 40, after kicking miscue by Cowboys that netted 2 yards.
    3 passes from 1st and goal from 2 that netted nothing and we once again failed in red zone
    A questionable challenge call
    HoustonRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
    The professional excellence of this coaching staff is really beginning to show. 0-6........yippy!, let's go out and get some pizza and sodas.....or maybe we can go to the World Series game again tonight! If this was Little League it would be understandable. It isn't, but it's being coached and played that way. Seven weeks into the season and they can't hit their asses with either hand.
    I would like to know were you got the information that the coaches are taking the players out for pizza. Oh, you dont have any proof for that? Well I guess you shouldnt make outrageous claims unless you have evidence to back it up.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I would like to know were you got the information that the coaches are taking the players out for pizza. Oh, you dont have any proof for that? Well I guess you shouldnt make outrageous claims unless you have evidence to back it up.
    i dont know if this was sarcasm or just trying to rip on someone being sarcastic.

if your being sarcastic then good job, you even fooled me, and i am very good with sarcasm.

if your not...then dam man, talk about nitpicking. lol

SavageRam is offline Registered User

One's abilities to accomplish a goal can be best evaluated when circumstances are at their worst, not when circumstances are at their best.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    One's abilities to accomplish a goal can be best evaluated when circumstances are at their worst, not when circumstances are at their best.
    well if the goal is to score the fewest points in the league, and allow the most rushing yards and helping teams set new personal and team records then Spags is accomplishing a lot.
    rammiser likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Spags didnt miss multiple tackles. Spags didnt fumble the ball. Spags didnt make the O-line get zero push off the line. Spags didnt give Bradford a high ankle sprain. Everyone of you are getting incredibly annoying with your broken record blah blah blah FIRE SPAGS FIRE DEVANEY.
    First off, the "guy who stopped the greatest offense in history" was a DC at that time and not the HC. Tom Coughlin isn't coaching this team, Spags is. Secondly, who assembled this group of players who are performing poorly? I believe that was the current GM and HC since they flipped most of the roster over and brought in these players who are not competitive yet.

You can say it's a lack of talent(again, who brought these players in by draft or FA?) that has caused the 0-6 start and every other excuse, but you don't suddenly "fire" all the players after Year 3 when your HC was a coordinator before and your GM was an asst. You get rid of the people at the top first who didn't have the experience before and hence no track record of dealing with a situation like this, and then you start replacing the players after, just like the Rams did not long ago. AGAIN.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    First off, the "guy who stopped the greatest offense in history" was a DC at that time and not the HC. Tom Coughlin isn't coaching this team, Spags is. Secondly, who assembled this group of players who are performing poorly? I believe that was the current GM and HC since they flipped most of the roster over and brought in these players who are not competitive yet.

You can say it's a lack of talent(again, who brought these players in by draft or FA?) that has caused the 0-6 start and every other excuse, but you don't suddenly "fire" all the players after Year 3 when your HC was a coordinator before and your GM was an asst. You get rid of the people at the top first who didn't have the experience before and hence no track record of dealing with a situation like this, and then you start replacing the players after, just like the Rams did not long ago. AGAIN.
    The point is that the team was so bad in 2009 that Spags and Devaney had to spend two years to at least get quality starters. When those quality starters get injured there has been little to no time to acquire depth at these positions. Worse when those starters dont pan out (which is common for every team in the NFL) we are doubly screwed. To make things worse the rock that the rams could lean on for years is coming to the end of his career, so we dont have much of that anymore. So dont say that the majority of the problem is Spags when he has been hit by a torrential storm of bad luck this whole season. This team is being built the right way, ask Bill Polian or Mike Smith who have both said so.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

When the names Spagnuolo and Linehan are interchangeable, things are dire. At this point, it's often difficult to see much difference in their paths as head coaches. Bottom line, the buck stops with the head coach. Always has, always will.

MikeD is offline Registered User

So much haterade, I know, it is frustrating...

It is almost impossible for the Rams to have an awesome season this year with the no-off season training, with new coaches along with arguably the most difficult first half-season schedule. Especially with the schedule, once I saw the schedule I knew it was going to be rough road for the Rams.

However, with that said. Our D is what went backwards. We have practically the same team as last year, including coach, and some would say we have more defensive playmakers this year than last. But it is inexcusable for being last in the league. Last year our D won games for us, this year it has not even kept us in games. I think we need to adjust our D big time.

Listened to Spags post-game conference saying they changed the D up from last week to this week (S's in as CBs), which I thought the passing defense was "alright." In other words, better than last week, but not what it should be.

Our run defense, ugh. A Rookie... R-O-O-K-I-E!! Just trampled over the D like they were trying to run up an escalator backwards, pretty much tripped over themselves and tumbled down.

Anyway, here's to hoping next week is better than the last.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    You guys really thought the Rams had a chance to win this game?

Now that's funny.

Last time I checked, Spags wasn't the one missing tackles, missing assignments, missing catches. When are the PLAYERS going to take ownership for their miserable performances?

Don't blame the players on the field, blame the guy on the sidelines. Yeah, that works. Typical of todays thinking. I think these overpaid, overhyped players of today are to blame. They play great in college but as soon as they get the big paycheck, it's no longer about the game, it's about the money. The bling.... "Who cares if I make the tackle, I'm still getting that new Cadillac Escalade with the 24" wheels and the big diamond earrings...". Yeah.. fire Spags, that's the problem.
    Wow...sounds like you're treading on thin ice with those overtones, don't you think?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Wow...sounds like you're treading on thin ice with those overtones, don't you think?
    Eek.

There's certain truth in the fact that some players don't care, in a losing atmosphere, because they're still getting paid at the end of the day--and as a result they don't play well because of the losing atmosphere, it becomes the mentality.

On the other hand, you can't say that about every single player, because it's just not true.

Regardless, a good coach should be able to motivate his players and get them to play their best possible football. We haven't seen that with Spags. It makes me wonder, are we really just picking horrible coordinators to become head coaches or are we just not acquiring enough talent? (That's quite obvious now, as we all know) It's just hard for me to believe that two hires in a row were complete and utter disasters and that the players aren't necessarily held accountable. I just don't know...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast