throwback week

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Linehan was sending AC a message

But in St. Louis, the selection of Ginn was greeted only with a smile, a brief conversation and a knowing look between Rams coach Scott Linehan and Vice President of Player Personnel Tony Softli.

I looked at coach and said, I think our guy is going to be there, Softli said. I said I think (Adam) Carriker is going to be there for us. We both kind of looked at each other and we kind of went back to doing some things. I just wanted to let him know we had a really good chance of him sitting there.
    This quote from a recent article has had me wondering: Why Ginn?

What was it about the Ginn pick in Miami that was so notable for Softli to mention it when referencing their pick of Carriker? So what that Miami passed on Carriker, the bigger money was betting on Quinn in Miami anyway. And, not to mention, that Houston went DL at 10, and Carriker was considered a target of the whiners at 11.

So why mention their belief that they would "get their guy" after the the Miami pick? Well, here's my wild-hair speculative answer.......to tell their guy he is their guy.

Carriker has already been quoted as saying he was paying attention to what draftniks had to say as he mentioned the boards had him going anywhere from 6 to 21. So surely, Carriker had seen and read that Okoye was a top target of the Rams....a true DT, not a converted DE. So picture the situation when Carriker is picked at 13 by the Rams....yes, he's been told by Linehan that he was the guy, but was he really just leftovers after Okoye went to Houston? How motivated would a rookie be knowing, in the back of his mind, he was his team's second pick behind another lineman?

However, by saying they would get their guy (Carriker) after the Miami pick AND before the Houston pick (Okoye), they help to remove any doubt from young Adam's head that he, and not Okoye, was their guy all along.

Am I speculating? You bet your momma's fine tushy I am. However, I bet I'm not far off with this one. And if I'm right, it was a stroke of genius on the part of Linehan to have that quote dropped in the media.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

suhpr3me Guest

Re: I think Linehan was sending AC a message

I dont want to say your right, but you have a goodpoint. If Houston didn't take Okoye and we were sitting at number 13 with the choice of Okoye and Carriker, i think Carriker might of had a chance not to be chosen and to make Linehan his sworn enemy.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This quote from a recent article has had me wondering: Why Ginn?

What was it about the Ginn pick in Miami that was so notable for Softli to mention it when referencing their pick of Carriker? So what that Miami passed on Carriker, the bigger money was betting on Quinn in Miami anyway. And, not to mention, that Houston went DL at 10, and Carriker was considered a target of the whiners at 11.

So why mention their belief that they would "get their guy" after the the Miami pick? Well, here's my wild-hair speculative answer.......to tell their guy he is their guy.

Carriker has already been quoted as saying he was paying attention to what draftniks had to say as he mentioned the boards had him going anywhere from 6 to 21. So surely, Carriker had seen and read that Okoye was a top target of the Rams....a true DT, not a converted DE. So picture the situation when Carriker is picked at 13 by the Rams....yes, he's been told by Linehan that he was the guy, but was he really just leftovers after Okoye went to Houston? How motivated would a rookie be knowing, in the back of his mind, he was his team's second pick behind another lineman?

However, by saying they would get their guy (Carriker) after the Miami pick AND before the Houston pick (Okoye), they help to remove any doubt from young Adam's head that he, and not Okoye, was their guy all along.

Am I speculating? You bet your momma's fine tushy I am. However, I bet I'm not far off with this one. And if I'm right, it was a stroke of genius on the part of Linehan to have that quote dropped in the media.
    ''

And some speculations are better than others.

The reason they reacted to the Ginn pick is cause it meant a team higher than 13 took an offensive player high who was not normally slotted to go that high.

Which in turn meant that the defensive players were being pushed down to the Rams.

Which in turn meant that others, like Willis, would still be there to be picked. Carriker would not go off the board as someone's second choice.

The more defenders being pushed down, better it was for the Rams.

I dont want to say your right
    Go ahead, you'll feel better.

Was it a generic reaction to an offensive player being selected? I just don't think so. Ginn going in the top 13 shouldn't have had much of a draft board shake-up since Quinn (another offensive player) didn't go in the top 13.

I think Linehan wants AC (and the rest of the world for that matter) to know that they got the exact guy they wanted. Not Okoye, not anyone else.....but Carriker.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

max
    max is offline Registered User

Let's look at this right after the Ginn pick.

How many O players were expected to go before us?
    6 - Russell, Quinn, CJ, Peterson, Thomas, Brown

Five of them went plus Ginn = 6

That left these 6 desireable players on D:
    Adams, Landry, Anderson, Okoye, Willis, Carriker

The first 3 were gone, and Willis was highly lilkey to go to SF or Buffalo. That's 4 plus the 6 equals 10 accounted for.

Carriker and Okoye gets us to 12, so we needed either Quinn, Lynch, or one of the DB's (Revis or Hall) to go and we get either Okoye or Carriker for sure.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Carriker would have been the better choice over Okoye; I don't think Okoye will make a big impact right way like Carriker will.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

marccat Guest

Gotta say I like your thoroughness and IMO your on track one way or another. You want to believe that these 'men' are pro enough to take their team ,regardless, and play with what got them there in the first place. It boggles the mind to think these players would hold grudges or even hold back because " I wasn't their 1st choice anyway" ! Do ya feel me here or am I off base in the parking lot mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by marccat View Post
    Gotta say I like your thoroughness and IMO your on track one way or another. You want to believe that these 'men' are pro enough to take their team ,regardless, and play with what got them there in the first place. It boggles the mind to think these players would hold grudges or even hold back because " I wasn't their 1st choice anyway" ! Do ya feel me here or am I off base in the parking lot mistaken?
    One would think these guys wouldn't let that stand in the way. However, we're talking about 21, 22, or 23 year old kids who have been the best at what they do for their entire lives.

Look at TO, Chris Henry, Pac-Man Jones, most of the Bengals rosters.........money doesn't equate to maturity. I'm not putting Carriker in that category (by a long shot), but if he thought he were the Rams 2nd option, it very well could play on his head a little. He's never been 2nd anything in his life.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Let's look at this right after the Ginn pick.

How many O players were expected to go before us?
    6 - Russell, Quinn, CJ, Peterson, Thomas, Brown

Five of them went plus Ginn = 6

That left these 6 desireable players on D:
    Adams, Landry, Anderson, Okoye, Willis, Carriker

The first 3 were gone, and Willis was highly lilkey to go to SF or Buffalo. That's 4 plus the 6 equals 10 accounted for.

Carriker and Okoye gets us to 12, so we needed either Quinn, Lynch, or one of the DB's (Revis or Hall) to go and we get either Okoye or Carriker for sure.
    Yep, that's pretty much it right there.

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    Yep, that's pretty much it right there.

Not quite. I have a bit more.

I believe the Rams felt very strongly that the Niners had Willis and Carriker rated 1-2 on their board. The Niners would take Willis if available, if not then Carriker. I sensed that from pieces of quotes from Linehan after the draft. And from some Nolan quotes I read on the Niners board. Just a vibe I had.

I also believe they felt strongly that Buffalo wasn't going for a DT. Buffalo was highly likely going RB or CB.

So that meant that with 3 more picks to go:
    Houston
    SF
    Buffalo

As long as Houston didn't take Carriker or Willis, the Rams were looking golden for their "guy".

So that was the deal. Which way does Houston go? Do they go Carriker or Okoye? Or do they go Revis or Hall? They could even have gone Lynch. But not Willis after landing Ryans last year.

I think what Softli and Linehan felt is that Houston was less likely to go Carriker than the others combined and that's all the Rams needed.

So all the Rams really wanted was for Miami to take either Ginn or Quinn, no difference really, leaving the others on the board. Once that happened the odds increased dramatically that Carriker would be there at #13.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't know how much it was calculated politic or just plain exuberance, but I think Coach wanted Carricker to know how much the team wanted and valued him. Probably the team's projections did suggest that if a guy like Ginn was taken early, Carricker would reach us. In any event, I got the impression that our coaches really liked Adam long before draft day.