Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I think most of us owe an apology to...

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I think most of us owe an apology to...

Kellen Clemens.

I'm glad fans don't make decisions, because the majority would've never given Clemens another shot after his first start against Seattle. While it was understandable to initially lose all hope in him after that game, when I look back, with a level head, I realize he was playing Seattle after all. I understand it was an essential division game, but maybe we expected a little to much from him. While I advocated giving him at least a couple more starts after that debacle, I'll admit I didn't have much confidence in him going forward. It was honestly more like I had more confidence in him than any other option at QB(Davis included). I think a majority of you here felt the same.

Wow, what a difference a couple weeks make. He's kept us in two close heart breakers, and helped us smash one of the best teams in this league. We went into the Colts house and absolutely destroyed them. Not at home, AWAY. A Colts team that has beaten Denver, Seattle, and San Fran this year. Watching Andrew Luck on the sidelines was priceless. He went from rah-rah rally time in the 2nd quarter to completely demoralized by the end of the third. I don't think I've ever seen him that flustered. Even going so far as to throw a paper cup at the ground really hard. Probably the meanest thing he's ever done. And I don't see this as a fluke game whatsoever. The old Rams would've never pulled this off. There just wasn't the talent and coaching then like there is now.

But on a serious note, back to Clemens. He's earned his spot under center for the time being. Unless he regresses horribly in the near future, he should finish this year as the Rams QB. I honestly have a lot more confidence in our team after the last two weeks. As of right now, my main concern is the Run D. Aside from that, I think we're in pretty good shape considering we lost our QB early on. If the D can keep creating turnovers, Stacy can keep bouncing off tackles, and Austin can keep being all Tavon Awesome and what not, Clemens should be able to manage games well enough for some more wins.

While he hasn't lit the world on fire, he's been more than serviceable as a backup on a team that seems to be firing on all cylinders as of now.

I thought this season was all but over when Bradford went down. But then the rest of the teams all like, "Hey we're really talented and well coached, lets start playing like it".

Oh...and D-Line...WATCH THE BALL!
    Last edited by FestusRam; -11-11-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    bradwill likes this.

re: I think most of us owe an apology to...

owe* dang it. I mess up entirely to many thread titles..lol oh well.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

He went 9 for 16.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    He went 9 for 16.
    I guess you forgot to finish that stat line. I'll get it for you.

9/16 56.3% 247yds 2TDs 15.44avg 140.6QB Rating.

Also, 9/16 is very respectable when you average 15.44 an ATTEMPT. And also when 2/16 attempts go for 6 points.

Try and be pessimistic all you want, it won't make too much sense though.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I didn't get to see the game. I just caught lame game day reports on my phone and texts from the wife. I'll ask you guys, did it seem like we took our foot off the gas in the forth quarter? What's with that?
    "The horror"

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Also, 9/16 is very respectable when you average 15.44 an ATTEMPT. And also when 2/16 attempts go for 6 points.

How exactly was I being pessimistic?

Since I've never bashed Clemens, don't really understand why I'd owe him an apology. He's a bargain basement QB who is serviceable to call upon.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -11-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    I didn't get to see the game. I just caught lame game day reports on my phone and texts from the wife. I'll ask you guys, did it seem like we took our foot off the gas in the forth quarter? What's with that?
    Yes. The D went totally prevent (a win) defense, and the offense went ULTRA conservative. Good thing the DL pressure was enough to cause a couple of bad redzone passes, our the Colts score at least another 14/16 points. And with the momentum of those scores, who knows how different that game would have been.

I am VERY glad we won, and the way we won, but I was not happy with the 4th qtr offense.

Then again, I think it was a classy act by Fisher to not run up the score. It was also classy by Pagano not to call all his timeouts while the RAMS were just running out the clock. Pagano recognized that the RAMS took their foot off the gas, and he didn't try to burn the RAMS for a useless score.

gap
    RamDez and Haste like this.

When you are up that much in the 4th quarter, being anything but conservative would be idiotic.
    You play a deep zone, don't let anything over the top and force Indy to drive down the field 4x in the 4th to win. On offense, don't turn the ball over.

Then the team should be named the JE2IVOT: Just Enough To Insure Victory On Turf.

Not 100% entertainment, but just about maybe 75%.

I know we finally had a great game and I'm *****ing, BUT, lets blow off some steam and have some fun. I deserve it.
    "The horror"

My mind's wandering (such that it is), but I wonder if Fisch is trying to avoid the inevitable qb controversy?
    "The horror"

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I guess you forgot to finish that stat line. I'll get it for you.

9/16 56.3% 247yds 2TDs 15.44avg 140.6QB Rating.

Sam Bradford tends to have classic numbers like that. Nothing wrong when he has those stats.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I'm happy we went conservative in the 4th quarter. At that point the game was ours to lose. We're still young, and we have a backup QB. A win is a win, we don't get bonus points if we win by 38 instead of 30.
    bradwill likes this.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    My mind's wandering (such that it is), but I wonder if Fisch is trying to avoid the inevitable qb controversy?
    I don't even know which two qbs you're thinking would be in a controversy with one another, so I think it's a safe bet that no such thing crossed Fishers mind.

Seriously, Clemens and Davis or Bradford and backup #1 next year?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Clemens had a nice game yesterday, and has played okay overall.

But let's be clear here. He's never going to be more than a back-up QB.

I think what many of us would like to see (myself included) is a younger back-up QB who might have greater upside.
    SWFCRAM and lordwhttgr like this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Simple question then Bradford or Clemens? I take Bradford any day of the week. Clemens threw a lot of interceptions in his career, and seems very inconsistent to date. Tavon Austin made Clemens look brilliant and so did Zac Stacy in prior weeks. You still have to make the pass, but any quarterback in the nfl even Brady Quinn probably could have made those passes but my hat is off to him for not turning the ball over. He's still not the answer and i will offer him no apology for throwing ducks against Seattle, when they were very make-able throws all game long on that Monday night. Against Seattle our receivers were open, he was either under throwing them or over throwing them. But i digress we snapped a 3 game losing streak with a back up and if he keeps showing that he can lead this team to the playoffs ill take back what i said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast