Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I think some expections need to be lowered

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think some expections need to be lowered

This is a weird thread to post after the first game of the season, but some of the responses on the forum and on the chat room after the game have prompted me to post this.

The fact is, the Rams are still a season away from filling the holes on the roster. Especially when it comes to depth.

We still have improvements to be made on the OL. We started a guy at LG who was making his 3rd career start (Turner), who then had to slide over to C when Wells was injured, and the fifth round rookie Watkins came in it a guard. That's not an ideal situation for an interior OL, and that's before you factor in that they were going up against Suh and the rest of the Lions DL.

The OLB spots, while filled with serviceable veterans, aren't exactly loaded with talent. McIntosh and Dunbar can do a job, but as we saw with the coverage on the TEs and RBs in the passing game, they could be improved on.

In the secondary, we started a rookie corner and had Craig Dahl starting at safety with Stewart out injured. Granted, Janoris Jenkins more than held his own against a strong Lions passing attack, but Dahl was a bit of a liability in coverage. Interestingly enough, two of the new secondary players were able to pick off balls, but two holdovers from the past regime couldn't reel in picks that hit them in the hands.

Bradford played well against the Lions, but was still pressured and hit more than you like to see. Still, he didn't turn the ball over. But at the same time, who does he pass to? Stafford has Calvin Johnson, Ryan has Jones and White, Schaub has Andre Johnson, Dalton has AJ Green. Bradford has Brandon Gibson. The receiving corps is a long way off what it needs to be. That will change when Quick and Givens get more involved, but we knew they would be raw rookies when we drafted them, and they need time.

We had no depth at defensive tackle yesterday. Brockers. Conrath and Scott all sat, leaving Langford, Heard and Cudjo as the DT rotation. Cudjo was picked on when he was on the field, so in the end the Rams went to a three man line, and as a result couldn't get the pressure they needed. This also lead to blockers being able to get to the second level and prevent Laurinaitis from moving freely to the ball carrier. When Brockers comes back it's a different story, but it shows we are still lacking when it comes to depth.

When you consider all these factors, people really shouldn't be expecting too much from this team. I hate to be a downer, but 5-6 wins would be good for this team. Especially when you consider that Saffold and Wells also suffered injuries last night.

And sure, it hurts to lose to the Lions in the fashion we did, but to be leading the game with 2 mins to go, and considering how bad we were last year... well you have to like that. But if you think about it, we still need to improve the talent on this team before we can be truly upset over a loss like this.
    ManofGod likes this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: I think some expections need to be lowered

I didnt notice but did they really run a 3 man front the majority of the game?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I agree with most of what you say but I still feel The Rams let themselves down here.I don't think it's unreasonable to think they could have won despite the injuries. Some guys that I really thought would be solid in this game were not. Harvey Dahl had a tough game( gave up a sack that held The Rams to that first FG,iirc). Laurinaitis seemed to be doing more jawing than making impact plays(same run as The Colts first TD got Lau again for 13 yds. Told ya run defense would be key in this game).And, of course, Kendricks disappeared back down the rabbit hole,no ? Thought I saw him whiff on a couple of blocks,too, but that's hard to say with a TE; free release vs chip block first.

I know everyone's gargling Fish-flavored kool-aid right now but I didn't like some stuff there, either. I'm so sick of seeing a RB get good yardage on a carry or two & then vanish. D-Rich needs more touches. And what the heck is up with Miller practically tackling Pead every time he tries a run back ? If he's not up to it, use someone who is. Double WTH for that weird pooched kick-off ? That was either the first sign that GZ is, in fact, human or a lame way to give up a quarter of the field uncontested.And is that all Pead is good for after 6 months of training ? There's not one freakin play that either Quick or Pead can contribute ? I'm not at all calling them busts but you'd like to see an attempt to get them involved. I keep thinking back to Bill Walsh's caveat about overloading rookies. Let them learn to do a few things well & get their feet wet & the back of their ears dry,imo. If Rok is good enough in this staff's eyes to be the interior back-up over , say, Mattison, then I wonder why Pead or D-Rich can't see the field. Wouldn't a screen or draw or swing pass to a quicker back have helped slow the pass rush ?

You can't argue with the success of the defensive game plan- the flaws were in execution at the end & the soft interior DL. Sad when the best pressure of the day comes from a 3 man rush with none of the DTs on the field, just Long , Sims, and Quinn but at least they tried something to play to their strengths at the time.. I didn't get the same vibe offensively one at times. Didn't seem all that imaginative to me.Maybe the OL injuries were a factor but The Rams were shaky before that as well.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-10-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Time to put away the excuses and get down to the business of learning how to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    I didnt notice but did they really run a 3 man front the majority of the game?
    When it came to obvious pass situations, which is most of the time against the Lions, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Time to put away the excuses and get down to the business of learning how to win.

And yesterday was a good lesson in learning how to win

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I agree with most of what you say but I still feel The Rams let themselves down here.I don't think it's unreasonable to think they could have won despite the injuries. Some guys that I really thought would be solid in this game were not. Harvey Dahl had a tough game( gave up a sack that held The Rams to that first FG,iirc). Laurinaitis seemed to be doing more jawing than making impact plays(same run as The Colts first TD got Lau again for 13 yds. Told ya run defense would be key in this game).And, of course, Kendricks disappeared back down the rabbit hole,no ? Thought I saw him whiff on a couple of blocks,too, but that's hard to say with a TE; free release vs chip block first.

I know everyone's gargling Fish-flavored kool-aid right now but I didn't like some stuff there, either. I'm so sick of seeing a RB get good yardage on a carry or two & then vanish. D-Rich needs more touches. And what the heck is up with Miller practically tackling Pead every time he tries a run back ? If he's not up to it, use someone who is. Double WTH for that weird pooched kick-off ? That was either the first sign that GZ is, in fact, human or a lame way to give up a quarter of the field uncontested.And is that all Pead is good for after 6 months of training ? There's not one freakin play that either Quick or Pead can contribute ? I'm not at all calling them busts but you'd like to see an attempt to get them involved. I keep thinking back to Bill Walsh's caveat about overloading rookies. Let them learn to do a few things well & get their feet wet & the back of their ears dry,imo. If Rok is good enough in this staff's eyes to be the interior back-up over , say, Mattison, then I wonder why Pead or D-Rich can't see the field. Wouldn't a screen or draw or swing pass to a quicker back have helped slow the pass rush ?

You can't argue with the success of the defensive game plan- the flaws were in execution at the end & the soft interior DL. Sad when the best pressure of the day comes from a 3 man rush with none of the DTs on the field, just Long , Sims, and Quinn but at least they tried something to play to their strengths at the time.. I didn't get the same vibe offensively one at times. Didn't seem all that imaginative to me.Maybe the OL injuries were a factor but The Rams were shaky before that as well.
    I think some expections need to be lowered-cancer23873619.jpg Sometimes I wonder if you watch the same games.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Azul the reason behind kicking a pooch kick there is to get it in the hands of someone that doesn't get it very often and try and cause a fumble.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    No excuses. The goal is to win.

But I think we can all agree that today feels a lot different from the Monday after the Rams lost to Detroit 44-6 two years ago.
    shower beers likes this.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But I think we can all agree that today feels a lot different from the Monday after the Rams lost to Detroit 44-6 two years ago.
    From some of the posts I've read around here, I'm not so sure unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

I was pleased with the overall game-plan yesterday only a bit disappointed with the decision-making on and off the field (e.g. 'prevent' D; and tucking the ball and running with no time left on the game-clock), but overall the Rams have improved immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cancer23873619.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	2984 Sometimes I wonder if you watch the same games.
    That's not much of a counterpoint.I watched that game TWICE, the second with lots of stopping & rewinding.If you have an issue with a point I made, then feel free to wonder with some specificity & let's discuss it like adults. Personally, having lost both my parents to cancer ( one recently) I don't find you're sophomoric graphics at all amusing.

I think this team showed they have enough talent & spirit to win games like this.Yes, they are young, have holes, and got some bad breaks on the injury front, but I think they are more talented & effective than the 2010 Rams already & it will start showing up in the W column just as quickly. I believe this game will be viewed like several of those 2010 games; one that got away.

Rambos is offline Registered User

D-Rich needs more touches. Agree

And what the heck is up with Miller practically tackling Pead every time he tries a run back? I saw that too, what was up with that, he looked good in preseaon, why did they not let him try a return. He had one for 25 yards. With 10 seconds left, that was the best chance for a TD IMO.

There's not one freakin play that either Quick or Pead can contribute ? Agree, not a few plays for these 2nd Rd draft picks? I could name three O linemen that we could have drafted and need today. If these guys don't contribute soon, I'm going to have to say NJ was right! And I don;t want to do that. Second RD picks have to contribute IMO.

Fisher will get it done, it's just hard not to see these guys we drafted so high not getting any playing time. The offense looked like it had not firer power once again. I expect Quick and Pead to have an impact like Jenkins is having, it's that simple.

Great post Azul e Oro going Bill Walsh
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-10-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    D-Rich needs more touches. Agree And what the heck is up with Miller practically tackling Pead every time he tries a run back? I saw that too, what was up with that, he looked good in preseaon, why did they not let him try a return. He had one for 25 yards. With 10 seconds left, that was the best chance for a TD IMO. There's not one freakin play that either Quick or Pead can contribute ? Agree, not a few plays for these 2nd Rd draft picks? I could name three O linemen that we could have drafted and need today. If these guys don't contribute soon, I'm going to have to say NJ was right! And I don;t want to do that. Second RD picks have to contribute IMO. Fisher will get it done, it's just hard not to see these guys we drafted so high not getting any playing time. The offense looked like it had not firer power once again. I expect Quick and Pead to have an impact like Jenkins is having, it's that simple. Great post Azul e Oro going Bill Walsh
    All due respect, Rambos, but I think you've made one of those giant leaps that is giving AV coniptions. Big difference between wondering about how active players were used in a specific game & questioning the picks. It may well be that The Rams were unable to sustain drives long enough or get into the right situations for these guys to get involved. I don't know but I think it's worth watching as the season progresses.I think we saw some options that looked promising in the early scripted "probing" part of the game , esp with D-Rich & Givens, that were never tried again. And, no, Sjacksonrules, I disagree that a pooch is designed primarily to force a turnover; that's an onside. The pooch, to me, is designed to prevent a return & burn clock. That specific kick was neither fish nor fowl.

Rambos is offline Registered User

All due respect, Rambos, but I think you've made one of those giant leaps that is giving AV coniptions. Big difference between wondering about how active players were used in a specific game & questioning the picks. It may well be that The Rams were unable to sustain drives long enough or get into the right situations for these guys to get involved. I don't know but I think it's worth watching as the season progresses.I think we saw some options that looked promising in the early scripted "probing" part of the game , esp with D-Rich & Givens, that were never tried again. And, no, Sjacksonrules, I disagree that a pooch is designed primarily to force a turnover; that's an onside. The pooch, to me, is designed to prevent a return & burn clock. That specific kick was neither fish nor fowl.
    AV coniptions are brought on by Av and Av alone.

Big difference between wondering about how active players were used in a specific game & questioning the picks. It may well be that The Rams were unable to sustain drives long enough or get into the right situations for these guys to get involved.
    Maybe your right... my take is simple you draft a player in the second round and can't get them in the game. I don't get that, we moved back in the draft to get more talent. Brokers would have started and Jenkins started. Pead for some reason every-time he was going to return a kick off he was held up and was not allowed to return it. Why? We drafted him to make plays, cut him loose. If Quick is not ready to help the team yet, it is what it is... disappointing. Maybe by week four he will break out I hope!

I don't know but I think it's worth watching as the season progresses.I think we saw some options that looked promising in the early scripted "probing" part of the game , esp with D-Rich & Givens, that were never tried again.
    I agree, with this.. I'm not saying we need to start these guys, but to use them on a handful plays would not hurt.

And, no, Sjacksonrules, I disagree that a pooch is designed primarily to force a turnover; that's an onside. The pooch, to me, is designed to prevent a return & burn clock. That specific kick was neither fish nor fowl.
    No sure what you are talking about here... I was shocked that Pead was held up on kick offs and when there was 10 seconds left, he was held up again.

I maybe impatience, I hope these guys get on the field and can help us sooner then later that's all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast