Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: I Think We Have Our Franchise RB

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: I Think We Have Our Franchise RB

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I'm not happy at all, but complaining about a player who is doing a nice job in his rookie year is pointless.
    I was not complaining about him in general. My comment was directed at the op. He has only 5 games and 103 carries as a starter and he has only looked great for the last two games. Personally I think that is a bit premature to declare him the franchise RB. Maybe he will become that but I think we need a bigger sample of games to say that with any certainty. Also, you and everyone must admit that he has had a lot of help from the OL and the reconfigured scheme dedicated to the running game. If you recall Fisher wanted to change the philosophy after being blown out for two straight games. The rams have since put an emphasis on the run game and used jumbo sets with multiple TEs and the extended use of a blocking FB.

Now, he has done a very good job. I'm not saying he has not. I especially like the fact that he has no fumbles and he can hold his own as a blocker.

My comment was in response to him being labeled as a franchise RB. I have noticed that he "seems" to be lost on the sideline for a rest or ding more than I would expect for a franchise RB. I don't have any hard data for number of sideline rests per carry for a franchise RBbut I doubt anyone else does that has jumped all over me and claimed otherwise. That's how the comment was directed.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    They are double teaming De'Andre tonight which is why Johnson had 1 on 1 coverage and wide open for an easy TD
    I hope the wink is meant to signify that you know you're joking, because Hopkins was single covered on both of Johnson's TDs so far.

Anyways, as for Stacy, I thought I heard a clip from Fisher prior to today's game that said something like Zac has been the third most productive running back through the last 3-4 weeks of the season.

Today's game should certainly keep up that trend, and barring injury or some other unforeseen circumstance, this team has found their starting tailback. He's been outstanding since taking the job, and it really makes you wonder if the early season struggles running the ball were mostly due to the guy carrying the rock or something else.

Finding a reasonable compliment to Stacy would be nice. I'm not particularly sold on any of the runners behind him. Heck, at this point, even mixing Tavon in as a change of pace kind of guy every now and then would be a welcome experiment. It'd be swell if Pead could step up and be that guy, but it's almost looking as if he's burned that bridge.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

he didn't get that many carries his first few games, when he actually started he had like an 80+ yard game and now back to back 100+ yard games so...dunno about only looking great the last two since the line started to play better too

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Didn't he need to come out for a rest after every one of those plays?

Didn't they lose the game?

Wasn't he on the sidelines at the end of last weeks loss?

Aren't we merely a .500 team since he's started?

Do you expect he will lead the rams to a winning season this year?
    What the hell are you talking about?
    We did not lose the game because of Stacy.
    He was on the sidelines because of a bad ankle
    He started basically after Sam went down.
    He is not the Savior for the Rams.

Watch a game.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Seems to get tired and lost when you need him the most.

Interesting that we now have a rookie RB that has played 4 games on a losing team and is beyond criticism.

I was not complaining about him in general.
    It sure looks like complaining about him to me.

The thread title even says "I think we have our franchise rb". So Mike is excited about Zac, we all should be a little excited. I'm not sure if he is the answer yet, but he surely isn't part of the problem as of now. So to suggest he gets tired and lost when you need him the most seems nitpicky to me. He hurt his ankle last week close to the end of the game so he was out. By watching him play he doesn't seem like a guy who would sit out hurt if he didn't have to. If he needs a break, he needs a break. No rb plays all the snaps.

I understand the frustration, but try to enjoy the few positives we've had this year. Zac Stacy being one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

macrammer is offline Registered User

You already lost that argument last week. The defense played that way and they still lost!

And btw mac, it was just my two cents that started this firestorm. I did not say he was a slacker or that we should go back to drich. And if he is a franchise RB as the op suggests (and I'm not saying he is or is not) then he should be expected to play like one. I'm not certain what the big deal is when we just lost another game on the way to a 3-6 record. Its not like it is inspiring this team towards a winning season.

Regardless the rams are losers amongst you're bright spot! Another losing season for a losing team!

Once again seattle just found a way to win in OT after being down by 21.
    Funny but I don't remember any argument lol. I do see a frustrated Ram fan that refuses to see a bright spot in another demoralizing season. I get that. But you are not really making any true sense with your points. IMO.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post

Funny but I don't remember any argument lol. I do see a frustrated Ram fan that refuses to see a bright spot in another demoralizing season. I get that. But you are not really making any true sense with your points. IMO.
    Yeah, you are correct, just trying to come to grips with another losing season. You are not correct about seeing a bright spot. I see that stacy is a bright spot just don't know if he's the franchise guy. It would be great since he'd be a steal in the 5th round.

Having said that and as I've tried to convey, we see bright spots every year. And yet year after year the rams continue to be losers. So after a loss in a winnable game that they once again found ways to lose; no I'm not too excited about this years bright spot. Once again that does not mean he is not a bright spot...geez.

Do you suppose they will win another game this season? Are you already excited for next year?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I did not say he was a slacker
    No you didn't, but you implied he doesn't have what it takes to stay on the field, and that he gets "lost" in key situations, whatever that means.

I know you record all the games, so why don't you go back and watch what he did, especially in the second half when the Rams needed someone to carry them. I think you'll see that he wasn't off the field any more than superstar franchise back Chris Johnson, and that he never got "lost" when the team needed him to make a play.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I'm not sure anyone on this team has earned a break!

I'm getting older so my memory is fading but I don't remember ED getting tired and needing a break all the time when he was carrying this team back in the 80's.
    I seem to remember the O-line being just a wee bit better,too. The current group is runblocking better than earlier in the year, it seems to me, but Stacy is playing with a rib injury and a bad ankle. That said, franchise back may be a bit premature. Could be the next Gore but I'd like to see a bit more.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User
    With all the bad Luck we have had this season. This is the greatest outcome of the season so far. Stacy is definitely being groomed to be our franchise back. Throw in a shifty change of pace back (DRich might get that done). And no need to worry about RB in our next draft. User those 1st rounders for something else

Sent from my Samsung using Forum Runner

shower beers is offline Registered User

One reply. it took one reply to take another positive thread and practically run it into the ground single handedly. This is really becoming quite tiresome.
    HUbison and rammiser like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I am beyond depressed at the way this season is going, but certainly Zac Stacy has done a nice job these past couple of weeks. I bellyached (rightly so) about the horrendous play of the Rams running backs earlier in the season, so it's only fair that I commend a guy for stepping up and being productive.

Whether or not he'll be a franchise back is open to debate, and yes we need a larger body of work from which to judge, but he does give us hope at the position.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I didn't see the game, but I'm assuming the criticism is over a play when Stacy asked out of the game (if not, and he was pulled by the coaches, then this argument would be exceedingly silly).

I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone would find it appropriate to criticize Stacy at this point in time. Right now, he leads all NFL rookies in rushing yards, and he's only been a starter for 5 games. As a 5th round pick, that's outstanding production. Heck, it would be outstanding for a 2nd round pick.

I think he's a fixture. I'd consider bringing in another dynamic "change of pace" back, but he has the looks of an effective workhorse.

I get where your coming from, I really do. But nobody can fault this guys performance, cut him a little slack. Yes the team, overall, is not cutting it but this wee guy sure is.

LOL!

Another bright spot on a losing team that is most likely headed for another losing season! How many straight losing seasons will that be?

Every year the rams seem to have a young player that comes forward as a bright spot. Where has that led them? To another losing season!

How many high draft picks does this defense have? Haven't all of them had their moments? Don't they all have their games? But where has that got the rams? Yeah, that's right, another losing season. When collectively are they going to put it together and produce a winning season? WHEN?!?

Now the offense has their latest bright spot. Yeah he's a bright spot but we are once again in the midst of another losing season. Its great that bright spots can continue to keep you guys happy as fans while the rams continue to lose. I on the other hand want a winning season. I've seen enough bright spots year after year. When the hell are we going to see a TEAM that is a bright spot? WHEN?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns
    Its great that bright spots can continue to keep you guys happy as fans while the rams continue to lose. I on the other hand want a winning season.
    I'm with this guy. Shame on all of you for not wanting a winning season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast