Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: I Think We Have Our Franchise RB

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: I Think We Have Our Franchise RB

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I am beyond depressed at the way this season is going, but certainly Zac Stacy has done a nice job these past couple of weeks. I bellyached (rightly so) about the horrendous play of the Rams running backs earlier in the season, so it's only fair that I commend a guy for stepping up and being productive.

Whether or not he'll be a franchise back is open to debate, and yes we need a larger body of work from which to judge, but he does give us hope at the position.
    Agreed. Interesting that little ZMAX may very well be part of this larger body!

Indeed, this small package may represent a big hope. Stacy has been playing while injured - can't wait to see him fully recovered and with the confidence and experience he is rapidly gaining.

I implied earlier that it would be wrong and unfair to start looking for a chink in his armor!

Rams have their man in Zac Stacy
    By Nick Wagoner / ESPN
    Nov. 3, 2013 p.m.

ST. LOUIS -- In a season that is quickly headed toward lost status, there’s been one unquestionable positive emerge from the past month of St. Louis Rams' football.

His name is Zac Stacy.

After a second consecutive narrow loss in the final moments, this one 28-21 to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, Stacy very nearly carried the ball and the offense to a victory.

For a team in search of a spark, Stacy is not only providing it but doing it on a consistent basis.

“From the moment that Zac Stacy took over that No. 1 spot he’s been a great weapon for us,” quarterback Kellen Clemens said. “He’s a good back. He’s also very good out of the backfield. He’s a great weapon for us. We’re lucky to have him. He’s stepped up in a big way.”

Zac Stacy rushed for 127 yards on 27 carries against the Titans. He also caught 6 passes for 51 yards.
    Four weeks into the season, the Rams’ running game was essentially non-existent, barely registering a blip in the final box score. With Daryl Richardson battling a toe injury, Isaiah Pead struggling to get out of his own way and Benny Cunningham unable to take advantage of his chances, Stacy took the reins.

Judging by Sunday, and his last two games in particular, Stacy doesn't look like he’ll be handing them over anytime soon.

Even Rams' defenders are sitting up and taking notice of the 5-foot-8, 214-pound bowling ball.

“Zac Stacy is a heck of a back,” end Chris Long said. “If he can stay healthy and continue to improve, he’s going to make people’s lives pretty tough. He’s a tough runner, he gets a lot of yards after contact.”

In what has been little more than half a season, Stacy set a career-high rushing with 134 yards against Seattle last week. On Sunday, he didn’t top that number, but he had his most productive overall game.

Stacy pounded away at Tennessee’s defense, posting 127 yards on 27 carries with two touchdowns and six catches for 51 more yards.

Much of Stacy’s damage comes in among the big boys, too. Of his 27 rushes, 22 came between the tackles where he gained 113 of his yards. Although he’s small, Stacy is powerful, which makes it hard for defenders to locate and tackle him when he runs inside.

The humble Stacy doesn't much care for talking about himself so when asked if he has a sense of the spark he’s provided for the offense, he reverts to a pretty basic answer.

“Just making plays, that’s it,” Stacy said. “That’s what it all comes down to. Week-in and week-out we stress making plays all across the offensive room. There’s no secret sauce to what I’m doing, just making plays.”

Maybe not, but there was one play that appeared to have a little something extra on it. As the Rams drove to tie it at 21 in the fourth quarter, Stacy took a handoff off left tackle, cut to the middle, bounced off a tackler, cut to the right, bounced off two more tacklers and sprinted down the right sideline for a gain of 32 yards.

“That was a great run,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “That’s what he’s about. That was an outstanding run, gave us a chance and sparked that drive for us.”

Perhaps most impressive about Stacy’s breakthrough performance the past two weeks is that he’s doing it when the defense knows it’s coming. With Sam Bradford out for the season because of a knee injury, defenses are loading up to slow the run, but to no avail.

The Rams' offensive line, tight ends and even receivers deserve credit for his work, but there’s still a noticeable drop-off when someone other than Stacy totes it.

Stacy’s Sunday efforts came on an injured ankle suffered last week against Seattle, not that it was going to keep him from playing and producing.

"I’m a competitor," Stacy said. "I always want to get out there as much as I can.
    I want to be on the field the whole game."

With more performances like Sunday’s, that shouldn’t be a problem.
    Emphasis mine.
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-04-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Article

RealRam is offline Registered User

From a Titans writer's perspective...

Vanderbilt product Zac Stacy continues strong running for Rams
    By Jim Wyatt / The Tennessean (excerpt)
    Nov. 3, 2013

“We came away with a loss,” Stacy said. “So, it doesn't feel as great as it would as a win, but we're just going to keep working.”

The fifth-round pick (160th overall) has 475 yards and two touchdowns this season. He’s rushed for 78 yards or more in four of the last five games.

His best carry against the Titans was a 32-yard run when he broke free from Titans linebacker Colin McCarthy and cornerback Jason McCourty. Defensive tackle Jurrell Casey eventually took him down, but was flagged for a horse-collar tackle in the process.

“It just comes down to taking advantage of opportunities,” Stacy said. “Week-in and week-out we stress being detailed. We stress preparation in the offensive room and also in the running back room. Just going out there and taking advantage of the opportunity I get.”

Quarterback Kellen Clemens said Stacy has given the Rams a huge lift.

“From the moment that Zac Stacy took over that No. 1 spot he's been a great weapon for us. He's a good back,” Clemens said. “He's also very good out of the backfield as we saw tonight. I think he probably had three or four catches. He's a great weapon for us. We're lucky to have him. He's stepped up in a big way.”

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think Mike should change the title of this thread to "We DEFINITELY have our franchise RB". Stacy was lights out the moment his feet hit the ground. You can see him getting more comfortable as the games go on too. He finds holes that our other RB's wouldn't, is very patient, and is nearly impossible to take down 1v1. He's so small that the defenders can't see him but his center of gravity is also extremely low making it even harder to take him down.

Stacy will be our #1 Franchise RB going forward no questions asked about it.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Current leaders among rookie rushers:

Rk Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
    1 Zac Stacy STL RB 103 14.7 475 4.6 67.9 2 32 24 23.3 2 0 0
    2 Eddie Lacy GB RB 112 18.7 446 4.0 74.3 3 37 20 17.9 1 0 1
    3 Giovani Bernard CIN RB 81 9.0 361 4.5 40.1 4 35T 14 17.3 2 0 1
    4 Andre Ellington ARI RB 43 5.4 333 7.7 41.6 2 80T 14 32.6 4 1 1
    5 Le'Veon Bell PIT RB 80 16.0 282 3.5 56.4 3 25 15 18.8 1 0 0
    6 Mike James TB RB 55 7.9 254 4.6 36.3 0 21 13 23.6 1 0 0
    7 Montee Ball DEN RB 55 6.9 177 3.2 22.1 1 15 9 16.4 0 0 2
    8 Geno Smith NYJ QB 36 4.0 172 4.8 19.1 3 16 12 33.3 0 0 3
    9 Khiry Robinson NO RB 33 6.6 146 4.4 29.2 1 21 8 24.2 2 0 0
    10 Joseph Randle DAL RB 45 7.5 111 2.5 18.5 1 14 3 6.7 0 0 0
    RealRam and thoey like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Stacy is not only at the top of the heap among rookies, he's rising among NFL leaders with a bullitt. Despite starting only 5 games, he ranks 17th among all NFL rushers, and is within 43 yards of being top 10.

This video tells me everything I need to know about Zac Stacy :

WK 9 Can't-Miss Play : Stacy be bouncin' - NFL Videos
    rammiser likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Just want to say Zac Stac is my hero! I counted him too banged up to be playing this week and he played with such grit and determination as to impress a heck out of alot of folks! Amazing! How many injuries is he playing through, at least two and counting the ones before the season started maybe 4! He is a nice rock to build this running game around for the future, if he can hold up! Proud to see this guy is a Ram in great standing! Go Zac Go! Nice Stats AvR hope he can keep them going...
    RealRam likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Despite all this, Zak Stacy didn't start running until week 4. Imagine if he started the first game and what his states would be like. If he plays like this throughout the season, he will eclipse 1000 yards. Definitely a late round steal. I thought the Rams would be in trouble losing Steven Jackson, but I'm wrong.
    rammiser and bruce4life like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I am routing for Stacy to break the 1000 yard mark this season. It would be kind of cool to keep that streak intact for the Rams as a franchise to have a 1000 yard runner for 9 straight seasons.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    You already lost that argument last week. The defense played that way and they still lost!

And btw mac, it was just my two cents that started this firestorm. I did not say he was a slacker or that we should go back to drich. And if he is a franchise RB as the op suggests (and I'm not saying he is or is not) then he should be expected to play like one. I'm not certain what the big deal is when we just lost another game on the way to a 3-6 record. Its not like it is inspiring this team towards a winning season.

Regardless the rams are losers amongst you're bright spot! Another losing season for a losing team!

Once again seattle just found a way to win in OT after being down by 21.
    I guess Adrian Peterson is no longer a franchise running back because he can't lead the Vikings to victory.
    RealRam likes this.
    Just Fix It

heff is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Despite all this, Zak Stacy didn't start running until week 4. Imagine if he started the first game and what his states would be like. If he plays like this throughout the season, he will eclipse 1000 yards. Definitely a late round steal. I thought the Rams would be in trouble losing Steven Jackson, but I'm wrong.
    Rams win against the Falcons... Bradford doesn't get injured... different season...

Agrajag is offline Registered User

So they've been more productive with the rushing attack because they've run two tight ends, a fullback and a tailback that's more suited to the type of game they want to run and now the rookie Zac Stacy is ready for the franchise RB label?

What's actually weird is I thought that the whole point with signing Cook was to be able to run a two tight end formation that could still be a serious threat to pass, and it took them so long to run with that. Yeah, so Cook hasn't been consistent with blocking, but he better get there for the money he's being payed. It's all about the jumbo baby

And what's with tired and lost? He's the one RB that's looked very comfortable in this scheme. Sure he subs out after long runs, no RB doesn't. That's why all teams have a second back. Cunningham wasn't ready, but there should be a lot of nice options for Richardson using the same personnel blocking. Sure they will run Richardson up the middle to keep defenses guessing, but if they don't have some outside runs designed for him I don't know what to think

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    So they've been more productive with the rushing attack because they've run two tight ends, a fullback and a tailback that's more suited to the type of game they want to run and now the rookie Zac Stacy is ready for the franchise RB label?

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by heff View Post
    Rams win against the Falcons... Bradford doesn't get injured... different season...
    i know that's 6-3 right now...geez

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    lol i see it that way too

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234