Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think we may finally be set at cornerback

One position which has been considered a weak are for the Rams over the past few years is CB. Right now, however, I think we're pretty set at the position for 2008 with Tye Hill, Fakhir Brown, Ron Bartell and Jonathan Wade.

While, perhaps, none of these four players is likely to be a Pro Bowl starter in the next year or two, I think that, considering that they play on a defense with virtually no pass rush, they have held up pretty well. Add in the fact that three of the four are 25 or under, there's room for improvement with seasoning.

If you are not convinced? Look at the Niners. They went out and gave Nate Clements a monster deal, and what has it done to their pass defense? NOTHING! Last year they allowed 223.2 passing yards per game and opposing QBs had a rating of 90.9. This year they (through 12 games) allowed 222.2 passing yards per game and opposing QBs had a rating of 90.9. Why? Because last year they were not very good at getting to the QB, and that has not changed significantly.

Build up the front 7 (most importantly, the pass rush), and Hill/Brown/Bartell/Wade will do just fine.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: I think we may finally be set at cornerback

Great post, any ideas on how to build up our pass rush? Are you thinking we develop players we already have? Free agency? The draft? Also, I think our LB's have looked pretty good too. I think if the Rams could add a serious pass rusher the D would improve significantly.

Well, right now I see a pass rushing DE as our #1 priority for the draft, with Chris Long being the guy I want. If the Rams could get him, and Leonard Little can come back and play at a high level again, the pass rush would improve greatly. I also think the Rams need to continue to utilize Will Witherspoon's abilities as a pass rusher.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Agreed.

If we can build up the front seven, in whatever alignment, I think the secondary will be able to hold up well.

We're going to have a high draft pick to play with next season and should be aggressive in FA, as far as the talent available there allows, so we should be able to get something done to improve our situation.

I also wonder whether there is a case for positional changes, like moving Carriker back to the outside and moving the 'Spoon to the outside too, although I guess that'll depend on who we pick up.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Yep, I've thought this all along. Maybe take out Corey in the secondary, but I dont know. I really like him, but the jury is still out. Spoon and Chillar are doing good at LB, so I'd focus on the pass rush, 1 LB, maybe a S, and a WR in the offseason.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I also agree with this, I would like too also add a SS, someone that can hit!

RealRam is offline Registered User

:r Good analysis on our CBs, AV.

Agreed, and yes indeed, what a plus it would be to add Long to our DL!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I would have to agree with you on this one Av. I was particularly impressed today, even without Hill in there. I was sure the Bengals tall and fast WR's would light up our pass D, but they held their own. I also agree that one of our primary goals in the draft and FA's is to improve our pass-rush, by whatever means we can.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, right now I see a pass rushing DE as our #1 priority for the draft, with Chris Long being the guy I want. If the Rams could get him, and Leonard Little can come back and play at a high level again, the pass rush would improve greatly. I also think the Rams need to continue to utilize Will Witherspoon's abilities as a pass rusher.
    Agree totally on the #1 need and Chris Long being the guy to fill it. That said, where do you think we need to be in the draft to get him? If he is still a top 5 pick on draft day, my guess is we'll have to be picking at no less than #3.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Fahkir Brown

I worry about losing Fakhir Brown to suspension.

Agreed, I think our #1 pick should be DE with out a doubt. I've never seen him play, but do you think he would be ready to come in and be a force right away? Also, how much longer do you think Little will play for? Because I don't think J. Hall is our future, and if you take out Little, we need 2 DE.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

One position which has been considered a weak are for the Rams over the past few years is CB. Right now, however, I think we're pretty set at the position for 2008 with Tye Hill, Fakhir Brown, Ron Bartell and Jonathan Wade.

While, perhaps, none of these four players is likely to be a Pro Bowl starter in the next year or two, I think that, considering that they play on a defense with virtually no pass rush, they have held up pretty well. Add in the fact that three of the four are 25 or under, there's room for improvement with seasoning.

If you are not convinced? Look at the Niners. They went out and gave Nate Clements a monster deal, and what has it done to their pass defense? NOTHING! Last year they allowed 223.2 passing yards per game and opposing QBs had a rating of 90.9. This year they (through 12 games) allowed 222.2 passing yards per game and opposing QBs had a rating of 90.9. Why? Because last year they were not very good at getting to the QB, and that has not changed significantly.

Build up the front 7 (most importantly, the pass rush), and Hill/Brown/Bartell/Wade will do just fine.
    The bulk of the work is done by the, for-the-most-part, underpaid and unrecognized animals who play between the tackles on both sides of the line. Ineffective rushing by the DL allows the QB to pick apart a defense and poor blocking by the OL gets a QB hurt and negates any sort of rushing game.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Agree totally on the #1 need and Chris Long being the guy to fill it. That said, where do you think we need to be in the draft to get him? If he is still a top 5 pick on draft day, my guess is we'll have to be picking at no less than #3.
    Depends on who is ahead of us. If, for example, Atlanta is ahead of us, I don't think they are a threat to take Long given that (1) they took a DE in this year's draft (Jamaal Anderson) and (2) they need a QB.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Depends on who is ahead of us. If, for example, Atlanta is ahead of us, I don't think they are a threat to take Long given that (1) they took a DE in this year's draft (Jamaal Anderson) and (2) they need a QB.

How about Miami? I hope their main need / concern is RB.

Either way, it seems like the Rams will definitely go for a DE.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-10-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Typo - typing - typo

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    How about Miami? I hope their main need / concern is RB.

Either way, it seems like the Rams will definitely go gor a DE.
    I really don't see Miami as a threat to pick a DE. I don't think their main concern is RB, since they have Ronnie Brown. They could go OT or QB, either one wouldn't surprise me, but since they will probably be getting a new coach, he may surprise us all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast