Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I think we're expecting too much out of our team this year.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I think we're expecting too much out of our team this year.

Lets be real with ourselves for a few moments guys. While I like EVERYTHING that is going on with this team, the moves we have made, particularly on defense, there are just too many " what-ifs" for us to depend on having a great record and making the playoffs. Too many ifs at receiver ( and still no stand out), still questions at linebacker, and O-line. Bradford has to learn a new system, again, albeit with a full offseason this time around. We have a lot of rookies on this team that are starting in key positions, but then again, what position isnt a key position?

I love the ownership. I love the head coaches and the staff that they brought in. I love the direction that were heading and the draft that we had. But even that is dependent on the guys panning out, though this time around I believe they will; I just have faith that they chose a really good group of guys.

I'll try to keep the positive train steam rolling as much as possible. Bradford with a full season under his belt. Darian Stewart is showing that he can be the SS we need back there opposite Mikell. "The Animal" in the middle as the QB of the defense. Robert Quinn in his second year. Chris Long in his fourth year, turning the corner of elite pass rushers ( not quite turned it yet but I have every bit of faith he will). The addition of Scott Wells and a returning Harvey Dahl. Brian Quick and Chris Givens. A returning Danny Amendola and Michael Hoomanwanui. Kendricks being a very potentially dangerous receiving tight end. Finnegan and JJ. A returning Fletcher ( though he has to earn his spot back I was told) and a lot of shutdown ability in Trumaine Johnson, though raw. The D-Line with the additions of Langford, Hayes, Brockers ( though is a rookie) and Laws.

The bottom line is this. Even though we have done a lot to solidify this team as a whole, there are still plenty of question marks, and a lot of rookies. So a lot has to be proven and a lot is expected. Though our division is still one of the weakest in the NFL ( IF NOT the weakest), the other teams in our division have made moves, I'm sure. And a lot of these teams have proven players at key positions, and already have coaches and schemes in place for a while now, whilst we are just getting adjusted to new ones.

Having said all of this, its like the season can't start soon enough. And every year I think we are the favorites with all the moves we make, I always say to myself: OTHER TEAMS MAKE MOVES TO. We must remind ourselves to temper expectations and to remember that its still a very young team. So my hope for this season is not to expect us to make the playoffs, or to go 10-6 or whatever record is desirable. My hopes and expectations are that Jeff Fisher makes us competitive in every game and improves our overall ability to find ways to win games that we should win, because remember now, this was also an achilles heel for us the last few years; being able to close games that we have won and not let them slip away. Other than that, I'm trying to remain positive but not expecting the world out of this team.

Here's to building this franchise to something truly special from here on end starting this season. Cheers! ( Popping a Heineken)
    Last edited by rNemesis; -07-18-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: I think we're expecting too much out of our team this year.

Have faith.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

What Trevor says, have faith.

Also, most people here are predicting are 7-8 wins. Which I don't think is expecting too much. Especially if see this as improved team from 2010, since 2011 was a fluke.

I think even predicting 9-10 win with playoffs...isn't expecting too much. However I see your point. Combine faith, with improved team, easier schedule, and way better coaching staff. And hey, it might happen.. I am not going into this season expecting playoffs, but having faith that it might happen.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Sorry to rain on the parade but I just don't see more than 4 or 5 wins max.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Sorry to rain on the parade but I just don't see more than 4 or 5 wins max.
    Name the 11 to 12 teams on the schedule that will beat the Rams next year. I don't see it.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Just have faith as well as remember that this is a new era, new coach, and it won't happen overnight though. The OP is right about starting anew!
    April Easter Bunnies!

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Name the 11 to 12 teams on the schedule that will beat the Rams next year. I don't see it.
    How many wins are you predicting?

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    11 losses

@ Lions
    @ Bears
    vs Cardinals
    vs Packers
    vs Patriots
    @ Whiners
    @ Cardinals
    vs Whiners
    @ Bills
    @ Buccaneers
    @ Seahawks

I have it going as 10-6

@Lions loss
    redskins win
    @bears loss
    seahawks win
    cards win
    @fins win
    pack loss
    pat loss
    @ whiners loss
    jets loss
    @cards win
    whiners win
    @bills win
    vikings win
    @bucs win
    @seahawks win

I really think we have a good chance at 10+ wins.
    live4ramin likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis
    I think we're expecting too much out of our team this year.
    I guess that depends entirely on what you're expecting. Personally, I see 4 wins, maybe 5. I don't think that's expecting too much at all.
    laram0 and ramsanddodgers like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I just dont understand you guys at all. I dont see how we only win 4 or 5 games. Are u guys that used to losing that u give up on the team before they have took training camp even. We have a new coach and new additions i dont see why you guys think this is the same team.

I guess ill have to do a breakdown of each game and say why i think we are gonna win/lose. I just dont wee how u guys are giving wins to the teams on that schedule ..... its not a hard schedule.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -07-20-2012 at 09:07 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

But...but...that's the best part isn't it?! Getting excited for the team's upcoming season? We're watching our favorite sports team here, not watching our first born get a nose ring and an emo haircut.

I for one, until I see otherwise, am holding out for a 16-0 record and a Super Bowl run. Otherwise, what's the point??

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules
    I just dont understand you guys at all. I dont see how we only win 4 or 5 games.
    Okay then, I'll give my viewpoint.

Feeling good about these:
    Skins at HOME
    Vikes at HOME

Feeling better than not about these:
    Cards at HOME
    Hawks at HOME

Wouldn't bet on it, but possible:
    Jets at HOME
    Bucs AWAY
    Dolphins AWAY

So that's 4 I'd be willing to call wins, but another 3 that wouldn't be out of the question. And being the conservative guy that I am, I call it 4 or 5 wins.
    Agrajag likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wins and losses is the biggest barometer, of course, but I also am looking for the team to be more competitive on a week-to-week basis, and to improve as the season goes on. If they can do that (and win at least 4-5 games), I'll feel good about the team's progress and prospects for 2013.
    macrammer and swatter555 like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wins and losses is the biggest barometer, of course, but I also am looking for the team to be more competitive on a week-to-week basis, and to improve as the season goes on. If they can do that (and win at least 4-5 games), I'll feel good about the team's progress and prospects for 2013.
    spot on......I would really enjoy fundamental and week in and out competitive football. I think we will be much better and 4-5 wins while not playoff caliber would be a step up from the door mat year of 2011.

I understand pre season exuberance and I have been caught up in this over the years. And I hope that he Rams do win more games then I amticipate but I share the sentiment from Av that 2013 should be our year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast