RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I truly feel sad today ...

and that is the honest truth. I feel sad for myself, I feel sad for all of you who come on here every day to talk about our St. Louis Rams, I feel bad for the city of St. Louis who might eventually lose this team ...

And I feel sad for Scott Linehan ...

There is no doubt at this point that Linehan is in over his head. And it is that very head that we call for every week to be delivered on a silver plater and replaced with a Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer, or even Dick Vermeil. The hatred for this man has reached epic levels. It's gotten so bad that it is affecting his family, as even his wife was in tears after the Seahawks game ...

So who is Scott Linehan. He seems to be widely renowned as a pretty good offensive mind. He appears to be a nice guy, and I am sure that is true. He is obviously smart from a football standpoint, or he would have never gotten an opportunity to be where he is today. Regardless, he is not up to the task of him current role. Does that mean we should hate him? I don't think so, and that is the problem I have with the current state of affairs. It is not Linehan's fault that he is failing. To do so would say that he is not trying, and I have no doubt that he is busting his tail everyday to right the ship, but it just cannot be done. Look at the man - he has clearly aged 10 years since he got here. Look at the pain on his face, this is killing him. It's just not working out for him, and it's not his fault. He was put into a position to fail, and he was not prepared for it. For that, the front office should be blamed, not Linehan ...

With that said, I look at the current state of the team and it makes me even more sad. I don't care what the game plan is each week, these players have quit on the coach, and they just aren't playing as hard or they should, or up to their talent, and that is a smack in the face to every fan watching these games, the entire St. Louis community, and the NFL. These are highly paid athletes, and if you are telling me this team is so devoid of talent that they should be taking three touchdown beatings every week, I will call you a liar to your face. This is practically the same team we had that went 8-8 two years ago. So what the hell happened? They have given up on the system, and in turn given up on us ...

There are no excuses for Linehan - he has failed. But failing does not make a man a failure at being a man. He comes to work everyday, and keeps on working, but I don't know if I can say the same for our players or even the other coaches around Linehan. He won't resign, I just know he won't, and he shouldn't, because as long as he is giving his all, he has no reason too. He is not stealing a paycheck, but some of our players are. The front office needs to allieve Linehan of his duties, and get someone in here to right the ship. Linehan, or no one else around this team, can do this at this point. The onus is the front office to correct it long term. Please put Linehan out of his misery, because he won't do it on his own ...

THE ONUS IS TO THE PLAYERS TO CORRECT IT SHORT TERM! This team can play with most teams in the league if they want to, I know the can. i don't believe what we've seen the first three weeks is indictitive of this team.

It really does look like they left their jock straps at the door. All the improvement and emerging players from last year are lost. Where is OJ Atogwe? When did S.J. become a dancer? Why cannot Bulger step into his throws? What happened to an offensive line with major potential? What happened to a defense that improved across the board last year? What happened to everything?

I just don't know, and on this day I am sad. I really am. We wait for months, and months, and months to watch our beloved Ram's play, and for the most part, our season is over before it has really begun. I am having a hard time looking forward to the month's ahead knowing we've eliminated ourselves before the stretch run is even here ...

Blame Linehan all you want, but he's doing everything he can. But remember, you'll be blaming the wrong people ...

Blame the front office, and blame the players, and let the proper outcries be heard, and maybe something will be done. I cannot argue with the fans for not showing up anymore, because it is hard. I cannot put myself into debt, traveling 7 hours each way, when I know the team isn't going to at least reward me with 4 quarters of effort. Really, if they give me a little, I will give them alot. At this point, they are giving me nothing ...

Sorry for the rant, but this hurts. And I need something, someone to make it better. It really is a sad day when the eternal optimist is an optimist no more ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -09-23-2008 at 11:40 AM.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: I truly feel sad today ...

Good post, RamsInfiniti, and you're absolutely right to say that Linehan is trying but incapable of making the grade as a Head Coach. The FO and players are more culpable of not trying than is Linehan, but each week that he stays in the job makes our predicament even more dire. As you say, the onus is on those upstairs to ask him to leave.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Yikes... cheer up, Ram Brother. The O-line did block better last week. We did score a TD. Avery caught a couple of balls & could have had more. Greco got on the field which shows the coaches know it's not against the rules to play a rookie O-lineman.

Gotta go to work to earn money for my Sunday "medicine" or I'd could probably shed a few more rays of hope through your dark cloud.

Oh, and The Patsies did lose to the Fins...hehehe.

Lastly, the pic of the hot redheaded cheerleader is back. Mmmm...I bet her luxurious mane smells heavenly...

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Buck up, Lil' Camper!!! I too feel bad for Linehan (not for Haslett), but still think he needs to go. It's obvious that he will never win this team over and the longer he stays, the more beatings he's going to take by the media and the fans. He's been let down by his players and his coaches and his own missteps. He should remember this though- the NFL stands for Nice Finishes Last.

Truth is offline Registered User

Nice post. I too feel for Linehan. Is he in over his head? You bet. WAY over his head. More importantly, you are right about our front office (I used small case letters because they haven't earned capitalization). It seems they're all standing around waitinfg to find out what's going to happen with the ownership of this team (and their jobs).

I've said this before (and I'll keep saying it), Free Agency has been around long enough now to root out the organizations that "get it" and those that don't. The organizations that are run well will consistantly field a competitive team. They may not be a champion every year, but they'll be in the hunt. Well run teams might experience down years as they lose good players to FA. However they will rebound quickly using the same system. Poorly run organizations (spelled R-A-M-S, L-I-O-N-S, C-H-I-E-F-S, R-A-I-D-E-R-S, etc) will languish. Sure, they'll have a couple of years here and there where they excell. Overall though, they'll remain mostly bottom feeders.

If Chip and his sister wish to honor their mother's wish of giving Linehan his 3rd year, so be it. It's another poor decision, and it will help keep this team from turning a corner.

There's an old saying: If you alsways do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

If Chip is serious about keeping this team, changes need to be made at positions ABOVE the HC position. LEaving Shaw and Ziggy in charge will net us more of the same. Have I forgotten about '99-'01? No. I think that falls under the "Everybody gets lucky sometimes" category. The reason Icategorize it as that is because we were terrible before that time, and we've been in a tailspin since.

Chip was right. If we didn't win against the Seahawks (and boy did we lose), big changes would be needed. OK Chip, let's see what you got.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Nice post. I too feel for Linehan. Is he in over his head? You bet. WAY over his head. More importantly, you are right about our front office (I used small case letters because they haven't earned capitalization). It seems they're all standing around waitinfg to find out what's going to happen with the ownership of this team (and their jobs).

I've said this before (and I'll keep saying it), Free Agency has been around long enough now to root out the organizations that "get it" and those that don't. The organizations that are run well will consistantly field a competitive team. They may not be a champion every year, but they'll be in the hunt. Well run teams might experience down years as they lose good players to FA. However they will rebound quickly using the same system. Poorly run organizations (spelled R-A-M-S, L-I-O-N-S, C-H-I-E-F-S, R-A-I-D-E-R-S, etc) will languish. Sure, they'll have a couple of years here and there where they excell. Overall though, they'll remain mostly bottom feeders.

If Chip and his sister wish to honor their mother's wish of giving Linehan his 3rd year, so be it. It's another poor decision, and it will help keep this team from turning a corner.

There's an old saying: If you alsways do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

If Chip is serious about keeping this team, changes need to be made at positions ABOVE the HC position. LEaving Shaw and Ziggy in charge will net us more of the same. Have I forgotten about '99-'01? No. I think that falls under the "Everybody gets lucky sometimes" category. The reason Icategorize it as that is because we were terrible before that time, and we've been in a tailspin since.

Chip was right. If we didn't win against the Seahawks (and boy did we lose), big changes would be needed. OK Chip, let's see what you got.
    Yes, big changes alright! Let's bench our franchise QB and start a 38 year old that is one hit away from the retirement home ...

I mean, forget benching Chavous, or Hill, or replacing Glover with a young stud, let's bench Bulger ...

What a joke we have become ...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I too feel bad for Linehan because I think he's a good guy, but the stars obviously did not align for him. I think if some things had worked out differently and he had a chance to build some momemtum and catch a little luck, he might have had a fighting chance, but they didn't and he's fighting a losing battle.

By the way, great post RamsInfiniti.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

great post, I don't think most of us hate Linehan the man, we don't like Linehan the coach too much right now,he seems to be a good guy and a good family man,I hope people don't verbally abuse his wife and kids,it is surely not there fault.people can be very cruel.It must be very hard for him to go to work each day when you know people hate you and want to see you fired,it takes courage to continue to do that,so I will give him that.he is fighting a battle he cannot win here,it would be best to just end it now and let Mr. Linehan and family pick up the pieces and start over some where else.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Good post, RamsInfiniti, and you're absolutely right to say that Linehan is trying but incapable of making the grade as a Head Coach. The FO and players are more culpable of not trying than is Linehan, but each week that he stays in the job makes our predicament even more dire. As you say, the onus is on those upstairs to ask him to leave.

some people are meant to be corrdinators, while others can take that next step to become head coaches.

IE
    some people who are great corrdinators but ho hum head coaches;

Mike Martz
    Lovie Smith
    perhaps Linehan; however, i dont recall him having great success anywhere he's been.