Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: I want to be the first person to say this here.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: I want to be the first person to say this here.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    That's my biggest fear. IMO, Bradford had the skill to make defenses think twice about stacking the box, whereas Hill probably won't strike fear into opposing defenses that dare him to beat them. I do like Hill, and hope he proves me wrong by rising to the occasion. I also hope the OL comes together, stays healthy, and helps Hill be the best he can be.

If things fall into place, and the Rams catch a few breaks, I could see them with a winning record in 2014.
    Hill doesn't need to have a cannon for an arm. What he does need, is the ability to throw receivers open. Does he have that innate skill? I have no idea - yet, but having been in the league for a long time, there probably isn't much he hasn't seen. Now that he is our starter, he'll have a chance to develop chemistry with our receivers. Seeing the field, letting plays develop, and knowing when to hold em or fold em goes a long way in bringing about success. One of the most frustrating things for me to watch is a qb checking down under pressure, and not seeing a wide open receiver. My hope is that Hill will be able to see the open guys and hit them. As long as Hill has been in the league, he's probably learned a thing or two. Add to that the fact that he hasn't been beaten up regularly and at 34 still has considerable tread on his tires, and we could be pleasantly surprised.

Right now we are admittedly in the "hope mode" - which is better than no hope at all. I liked what I saw from our young team against the Browns, and it is possible we have enough budding talent to turn the corner in our division even without Bradford. I don't think the sky is falling; it's a shame we lost Sam, but as Fish says, you've got to move on ..
    live4ramin likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I would have thought this too, except without Trumaine Johnson, we have to find a way to rotate cornerbacks and secondary personnel for 6 weeks......

And over last 5 years (not including last season) we have seen how that has killed us in our division....

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I would have thought this too, except without Trumaine Johnson, we have to find a way to rotate cornerbacks and secondary personnel for 6 weeks......

And over last 5 years (not including last season) we have seen how that has killed us in our division....
    We have a bye week 4 so that should help. He may only miss the first 3 games if he can get back by what would be week five.
    Randart likes this.

M$Ram is offline Registered User

I agree with Av, and in fact, I'll go further and say that the sky is the limit for us this season. One thing to keep in mind is how intact our team has remained over Fisher's tenure. We've lost a few guys that were unproductive, and in saying that I do believe our weakest link is our secondary (Finnegan is a prime example here of being cut and the secondary not being our strongest unit). But Quinn will be even better this year, and with Donald and Sam and Westbrooks (I'll bet they all make the team -- just watch), it's going to be lights out up front. It honestly didn't even look like (to me, at least) they were trying all that hard early on against Cleveland. Now, sure, second / third stringers were, but I mean our 1's. They're saving their stuff, especially the game planning, until the real fun begins in September.

But that being said, look at how improved our team is as a whole. On offense we see great production from Quick, Britt, and just think -- we haven't even seen Tavon but know how capable he is if cut loose. Givens made a bomb of a TD on Saturday, too. In addition, Hill looks like a fantastic game manager. He made one audible for a Zac Stacy run that was beautiful, and at every snap he looked in fierce control of the situation, and the defense we're facing.

Behind him, I think if Davis was cut loose he'd be great too. Some people are just built that way, such that the lights turn on when the spotlight burns bright. Think too that with the adversity we face here, it's going to rally the team. Sad when it happens, but it can be a blessing in disguise when unifying factors like this happen in pro sports to bring that edge, the passion that isn't there if they're just playing for a check and making it week to week.

Our team has a lot to prove, and I believe they'll surprise us. Heck, the entire NFL for that matter.
    live4ramin, MauiRam and Randart like this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

I also do side with the optimistic in this thread.

Most important the Rams worked this offseason knowing Sam's status. They were comfortable in Hill's ability to take over the offense and team if needed. All the other names floating around were available during this offseason one way or the other and didn't even get a sniff.

Furthermore this offense isn't built for a quarterback to lead it with a passing attack. It's a runheavy offense that needs to keep the defense honest with passes. Which isn't to say you can't benefit from great play at QB and WR but first and foremost it's run. Even with Bradford at the helm, it wasn’t designed to let him light up the world in passing. This offense is the one that Clemens won games in and kept us close in others.

If our defense can get past the Walton20yardcushion system I think we have a chance to surprise this year.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Like every other Rams fan, I hope this prediction is accurate, but I do not share the same sense of optimism. This is yet another blow in what has become a yearly exercise in futility for Rams fans; losing football, setback after setback, watching other teams reap success and being relegated to the bottom of the division. Just when you think we've turned the corner and could have a decent year for the first time in a decade, we get kicked in the nuts. Five years vested in Sam Bradford right down the toilet. And make no mistake- whatever one thinks of Bradford, he was BY FAR our best option in 2014. Thinking we won't miss a beat with Shaun Hill is the worst kind of mental cheat. And now we have to start all over (yet again) in 2015.

And quite frankly, this "love fest" with Shaun Hill befuddles me: WHAT HAS THIS GUY DONE to warrant unbridled confidence in his ability to lead?? I don't get it. The guy has thrown 16 passes in 4 years and now he's "back-up QB extraordinaire"? Possibly the next Warner? I certainly hope the guy is successful and I understand the need for fans to look at possible silver linings, but it is going to take a monumental effort from all involved- as well as considerable luck- for us to have a winning season this year.

Just calling it as I see it.

M$Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    And quite frankly, this "love fest" with Shaun Hill befuddles me: WHAT HAS THIS GUY DONE to warrant unbridled confidence in his ability to lead?? I don't get it. The guy has thrown 16 passes in 4 years and now he's "back-up QB extraordinaire"? Possibly the next Warner? I certainly hope the guy is successful and I understand the need for fans to look at possible silver linings, but it is going to take a monumental effort from all involved- as well as considerable luck- for us to have a winning season this year.

Stats wise, he's not bad at all. Not even close to being bad, really. If I'm not mistaken (I can't find this stat now), but strictly from a W/L perspective, he's 13-13 as a starter. Bradford is, if I'm not mistaken, 18 - 30 - 1. Not a far cry better, despite the situation he's played under. Now Hill, he's been a backup QB, keep in mind, and our team is likely (you can check the Lions / SF ***** teams at the time -- yes, he had Megatron, but Megatron isn't actually a transformer or Superman and isn't omnipresent) more talented than what he was surrounded with. Plus, our coaching staff deserves a lot of credit.

So he's being put into a situation where he can win. And he has proven that he can win in the past. All things considered, I don't think he's ever been given a really fair shake to be a QB in this league, so I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised with what he can do. I've said it before that on paper we've looked great as a team for a few years running now. But this year is different.

This year, our D-Line is where it should be talent wise and depth. We have a really good D-Coordinator that has a lot of the players excited. Our WRs are taking off, and there's depth there too. The only questionable unit to me is our o-line, but I think they deserve way more credit than they've gotten based on last year's performance in the run game. So again, I'm very optimistic.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by M$Ram; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:36 AM.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    And quite frankly, this "love fest" with Shaun Hill befuddles me: WHAT HAS THIS GUY DONE to warrant unbridled confidence in his ability to lead??
    What has he done? He put on a Rams jersey.

As mentioned previously, we're all in "hope mode" right now. Hill has done his job over the years, but hasn't lead any team to the promised land. So, objectively viewing the situation would lead one to the conclusion that the Rams will now have a tougher road to walk. But as fans, what are our options? We can belly-ache and moan, but that would make it rather miserable, especially at THE most optimistic time of the year (or at least what should be the most optimistic time of the year).

As fans, we can do nothing else, but (with apologies to Coach Vermeil) to rally around Shaun Hill and play good football.
    RealRam, Rammed, gap and 1 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Like every other Rams fan, I hope this prediction is accurate, but I do not share the same sense of optimism. This is yet another blow in what has become a yearly exercise in futility for Rams fans; losing football, setback after setback, watching other teams reap success and being relegated to the bottom of the division. Just when you think we've turned the corner and could have a decent year for the first time in a decade, we get kicked in the nuts. Five years vested in Sam Bradford right down the toilet. And make no mistake- whatever one thinks of Bradford, he was BY FAR our best option in 2014. Thinking we won't miss a beat with Shaun Hill is the worst kind of mental cheat. And now we have to start all over (yet again) in 2015.

Yes, there is a strong part of me that feels exactly as you lay it out. When I first heard about Sam out for the year, it was so disheartening and I had a very short lived feeling about hoe this season is over before it starts..... for us the beleaguered, long suffering Ram fans.

But, I do have some hope that it won't be a total disaster this year. I saw some really good things against the Browns that gave me some hope. I think 10 wins is a stretch but this team has talent from top to bottom. I saw how this team reacted last year. I think it will react well again and I would argue we are better in many more places then last year.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I would argue we are better in many more places then last year.
    From what I have seen so far, I agree completely. We are more talented on both sides of the ball - and Gregg Williams should provide a boost over last years D coordinator. Having better talent overall will obviously help, add to that the talent we already had that is showing improvement with experience. Quick, Stacy, Austin, Bailey, Cook - just to name a few. This team is a far cry different than the anemic offense of yesteryear that featured Sam Bradford, Danny Amendola, and Steven Jackson (and that was about it). Sure there are some question marks, (will Jake's mended knee hold up? Will the light stay on for Quick? Can Saffold stay healthy enough to play at least 14 games or more? Regardless of those queries, I believe we are a better team across the board, and at the end of the day, it is a team sport. Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. If we are truly better across the board, then our record at the end of the season will reflect that. If not - well, I guess that would be reflected as well ..

One last thought: Jeff Fisher and crew really wanted Shawn Hill originally not long after he became head coach. Shawn turned down the offer and elected to stay where he was. Jeff didn't give up, and finally got his man. Although we are not privy to Jeff's inner predilections, I'd bet Fish had some very specific reasons for wanting Hill. The term "game manager" has been tossed around a lot over the years. Implication being that a qb may not be all that talented, but he won't blow it with dumb decisions i.e. lose games for you. Shawn Hill's record of 13 -13 is not exactly shabby for a backup, rather it is pretty good. He can change it to 14 - 13 against the Vikes. As far as backups go, we could do a lot worse than Hill, if records/stats etc. are bonafide indicators ..

My two cents ..

BM_Face is online now Registered User

Manage the game, minimize mistakes, do not give up the big play, take what they give you. This is the philosophy I envision for Shaun Hill in 2014. Granted, this is same speech so many QB's get each year, but for Hill, these are the kinds of things Fisher will hammer home. No one is looking at Hill and thinking it is time to let the genie out of the bottle.

Hill has the experience to play in this system and trust his teammates to do the heavy lifting. I think the focus now needs to be our O-line play; protecting the QB and giving our RB's some room on the LoS. I trust Fisher, his staff, and this Ram's team to handle the transition to having Hill as our starter. No doubt our defense influences our opponent's game-plan, and helps to set the pace of the game. We have depth at our skill positions and a steady hand at the helm. 2014 is still going to be more Bridge that Breakout, but I think this Rams team is in decent shape.

If we are going to gamble in games, it will be on Defense and Special Teams. Ten wins is optimistic for many teams in the NFL, but not out of reach for most given a few breaks. Honestly, if we were in any other division, I would feel better about our chances, but I think SF and AZ will both come back to earth, leaving Seattle as the clear top-dog, but leaving room for us to snag second place in the NFC West.
    RealRam likes this.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I guess I am one of "those" people.

While I hope for a repeat of the '99 season, I have decided I should hope for a mediocre 8-8 record.

That's better than last year - and if we do better than that, then I will be extremely happy. If we do worse - well, at least I won't be too disappointed, because I know there is NO way we will go less than 7-9, even if we had Tony Banks as our QB.

Haste is offline Registered User

How long of a leash do you think Fisher will give Hill?

Let's say he plays like Clemons....does he go to Davis and hope for him to grow at that point?

Rambos is online now Registered User

He put on a Rams jersey. That's enough for me. Not to mention he is our starting QB.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I guess I am one of "those" people.

While I hope for a repeat of the '99 season, I have decided I should hope for a mediocre 8-8 record.

That's better than last year - and if we do better than that, then I will be extremely happy. If we do worse - well, at least I won't be too disappointed, because I know there is NO way we will go less than 7-9, even if we had Tony Banks as our QB.
    Smart optimism.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast