Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,625
    Rep Power
    167

    I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Will Marshall Faulk retire?

    I don't know. Nobody here does. Marshall's not saying, and everything else is mere inference and speculation.

    Do I want Marshall Faulk to retire?

    Without question... yes. Yes I do.

    I am a big Marshall Faulk fan. I think his performance from 1999-2001 was the greatest three year run by any RB in NFL history, bar none. We can all talk about Martz, Warner, Bruce and Holt, but make no mistake... the element that made the GSOT one of the greatest offenses ever was Marshall Faulk's ability to be a threat on every single play.

    I know many are holding out hope that Faulk can play another year or two at a high level, even if that means being more of a role player in Steven Jackson's shadow.

    I have my questions as to whether Faulk, or, more specifically, Faulk's knees, can still do that.

    But the main reason I want Faulk to retire is my impression of where Faulk's head is right now. From all I've heard, read and seen, Faulk's words and actions this offseason are those of a guy who just doesn't have that drive anymore.

    Who can blame him? I'm sure its hard for him to accept that he's no longer the feature back. I'm sure he's feeling unsure of what his role will be under a new coaching staff. I'm sure he's concerned about returning at this stage of his career to a team that went 6-10 last season.

    If he does return, what would be his reason? Money? Records? Glory? Faulk has all of these things.

    Some players reach this stage of a career and are still the kind of players you want around because of their "locker room demeanor." Faulk's not that kind of guy. He's not a vocal leader of the team, and he has had the reputation of being a difficult personality when he's not happy.

    Add all of this up, and I can only conclude that the best thing for the Rams this year would be to have Faulk ride off into the sunset. Frankly, I think that may be what is best for Faulk as well.

    All good things must end.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -06-23-2006 at 10:14 AM.


  2. #2
    OldRamsfan's Avatar
    OldRamsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Mohave, AZ
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    I totality agree he does need to retire , he's done his job and had done it well , go and enjoy retirement before he get hurts and has others problems other than his knee's ...

  3. #3
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    I also think he needs to retire, and it would be such a thrill for it to be at the Denver (Bash) game.

  4. #4
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    i dont want him to retire,BUT if he does and it looks like he will,he should suit up for the home opener and be introduced with the starting lineup and let the fans in the dome cheer one last time,you cant tell me that wouldnt bring a tear to your eye.

  5. #5
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,391
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    :tut No, I do not want MFaulk to retire, at least given the reasons in the opening post here.

    I think Marshall is mature enough to think 'Team First', mature enough to understand his potential role in this year's lineup and thus mature enough to know his limitations, all of which still translates to a considerable contribution to the Rams running game.

    As Coach Linehan has implied, he (Marshall) knows it better than anyone else, i.e., the condition of his knees for the "one more season" episode in his successful career. Therein lies the question mark and the suspense: is he physically able?

    I don't doubt that mentally Faulk would be ready for one last stand, provided everyone abides by his limited role.

    He would still be a very valuable piece on the chessboard. :angryram: Experience, knowledge, play.

    IF, however, in his honesty and maturity he does decide to retire due to the diminished physical condition, then I'd like to see the farewell scenario that Jkramsfan just mentioned.
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-23-2006 at 03:00 PM.

  6. #6
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,457
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    If Faulk is healthy and wants to return, I would like to see him back for one more year. He is one of the most intelligent, savy players in NFL history and in addition to making contributions on the field, would be invaluable in helping the Rams at a time of change, transition and uncertainty.

    Above all else, I think health is the determining factor.

  7. #7
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    I can honestly say I'd just like to see him do whatever will make him happy. If he stays on, he'll be a value to the team; if he doesn't, I think we're in as good a position as we'll ever be to move on without him. From a leadership perspective, Faulk is not going to be all that inspiring if he's questioning why he's even still here. From a mentoring perspective, I don't know whether Jackson is open to it or whether Faulk's style really makes him the best person to advise Jackson. For example, Faulk at his best was a player who waited for the play to develop and found holes because his vision and agility were so great. When Jackson waits for the play to develop, he gets stuffed.

  8. #8
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    I like Faulk but I think its time for Faulk to retire. I don't think that he would be able to help this team in anyway. Because the main guy that needs to listen to Faulk I don't think wants him around. I think unintentionally he could be a distraction.

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    i dont want him to retire,BUT if he does and it looks like he will,he should suit up for the home opener and be introduced with the starting lineup and let the fans in the dome cheer one last time,you cant tell me that wouldnt bring a tear to your eye.
    I think it would be cool if he were healthy to allow him to play some in the seasons home opener and then retire after the game.

  9. #9
    RamsFanSam's Avatar
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,655
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Faulk is one of the smartest 'football' brains in the NFL.

    That being said...

    We all know what 'burnout' is. When you work at the same job for years, busting your butt, giving it your all, and then one day it hits you.

    You're getting older. You are tired. You know more about your job than anyone else who works with you. You still get the 'thank you's' and 'attaboys', but every day sees more expectations piled upon you.

    In your prime, you had the physical stamina to do the impossible, but not the knowledge. Now, you have the knowledge, but not the stamina or the time. One day you come in, and you have a new boss. The new boss doesn't know your job requirements, and has no idea what it takes to do your job. Yeah, the new boss went to college and has a piece of paper that says he is qualified, but he really doesn't have the hands-on experience. Things that look possible on paper are not realistic to those who do the work. You see others who just do enough to scrape by, and they make a lot of noise to make sure they get noticed. They might do a great job now and then, but you are the one who gives 100% every day....and they expect more, just because you are the best, yet, they fail to recognize this fact.

    You get even more tired. Life becomes a chore, rather than something worth experiencing.

    Something has got to give.

    At this point, most of us would move on to another job, or start looking at the other things in life that make it better....our families. Our hobbies. Our friends. And, if we are honest...ourselves.

    Marshall just got married. He has a wife. He's getting older. He's been to the top, and damn few can say they ever came close to where he has been. I can understand if this is the way he feels....I'm feeling that way right now, too. I don't have the option of telling my boss I'm quitting....I've got too many responsibilities. Marshall is in a position where he can retire, and not have to worry.

    If he does retire, I would like to see a proper ceremony. Not to start an argument, but IMHO, Marshall should have been the one holding the Lombardi instead of KW. Without him, we would have never gotten that far. The least he deserves is one last time, wearing the uniform of his choice (I think the Blue & Yellow would be fitting), and the man should be honored in the only way fitting:

    If it does happen...Marshall should be able to announce his retirement before the first game begins. After the standing ovation begins to quiet down, the only man worthy of honoring Marshall, Eric Dickerson, should be the one who announces the addition of Marshall's name to the Ring of Fame, and the retirement of his jersey.

    Every Rams fan around the world would be crying at that point, and none would be ashamed.

    The only thing that would make it better is if Marshall announced after that that he was returning to the Rams as a coach.

    Anything less would be dishonorable.
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -06-23-2006 at 08:13 PM. Reason: I'm too darn tired to think. Thanks, Mom.

  10. #10
    bigredman's Avatar
    bigredman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Putting myself in Marshall's shoes, he has the drive and love of the game to want to come back this season, but after this latest surgery he is not rebounding like he has in the past. This has to be nagging at him. Always before, he's been able to bounce right back, supposedly feeling better than ever. Not this time.

    He also got a big dose of bench warming last year, and for a proud and elite back like himself, that memory can't be pleasant or desirable to experience again.

    I truly believe Faulk is struggling with his desire not to go out this way, and facing the uncertainties of retiring. If his agent were making inquiries as to possible TV work for Marshall, I'm sure we would have heard about it.

    I feel that a football mind like Faulk's should coach, or work a front office job like Ozzie Newsome of the Ravens. To have him go into TV or radio would be a waste in my opinion.

    So, with all that said, I believe Marshall should retire, not because I don't think he can't still play, but because I care about the man and his health. He's every bit as historic a Rams figure as anyone before him in my book.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,611
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    :tut No, I do not want MFaulk to retire, at least given the reasons in the opening post here.

    I think Marshall is mature enough to think 'Team First', mature enough to understand his potential role in this year's lineup and thus mature enough to know his limitations, all of which still translates to a considerable contribution to the Rams running game.

    As Coach Linehan has implied, he (Marshall) knows it better than anyone else, i.e., the condition of his knees for the "one more season" episode in his successful career. Therein lies the question mark and the suspense: is he physically able?

    I don't doubt that mentally Faulk would be ready for one last stand, provided everyone abides by his limited role.

    He would still be a very valuable piece on the chessboard. :angryram: Experience, knowledge, play.

    IF, however, in his honesty and maturity he does decide to retire due to the diminished physical condition, then I'd like to see the farewell scenario that Jkramsfan just mentioned.
    I agree with RR (and yes I used the rep button hehe) Before stating Faulk should retire, we should at least see what happens if/when he gets into camp. If Faulk decides he can't go that's good enough for me. But if he wants to try, we should at least look at him in camp, and in the pre season before we state that he should retire.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE


  12. #12
    majorram's Avatar
    majorram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    London surrey
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,421
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    I'm with you guys if the great man decides to retire, well hell he deserves to.....I will still miss the chap, I just hope that he moves into Coaching, hopefully for the Rams, an amazing player clan..... I'm just pleased that I watched Faulk play...

    steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

  13. #13
    theodus69's Avatar
    theodus69 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    so.cal.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,202
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Well this ought to fry a few of you, What AV said about 99-01 was absolutely correct. And I think when Bulger took over the helm, Faulks production went down,Why? well because Bulger couldn't see the Feild as well as Warner and Faulk didn't get the touches he was gettting before! Bulger missed alot of opts to Faulk, only because of his lesser ability to see all his guys in route. Bulger has a much quicker release but I feel the vision thing kinda phased Faulk out! Let's put it this way in nicer terms, Warner and faulk complimented each other better. But is time for Faulk to step out and retire a RAM and not with someother team!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

  14. #14
    bigredman's Avatar
    bigredman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Well this ought to fry a few of you, What AV said about 99-01 was absolutely correct. And I think when Bulger took over the helm, Faulks production went down,Why? well because Bulger couldn't see the Feild as well as Warner and Faulk didn't get the touches he was gettting before! Bulger missed alot of opts to Faulk, only because of his lesser ability to see all his guys in route. Bulger has a much quicker release but I feel the vision thing kinda phased Faulk out! Let's put it this way in nicer terms, Warner and faulk complimented each other better.
    You are kidding, right. You have to be joking. Warner, after his many concussions in 2002, couldn't find anyone down field anymore, hence his many sacks. Of course, it didn't help that the offensive line was getting old, and that Martz REFUSED to change up his offense after ALL the defensive coordinators on the other teams had figured out how to defeat the "genius'" offense. Oh, and let's not forget that the Martz forbid, let me repeat, FORBID Bulger from changing the plays NO MATTER WHAT THE DEFENSE PRESENTED. Thus, either the busted plays or the numerous stupid time outs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  15. #15
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: I want Marshall Faulk to retire

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Will Marshall Faulk retire?

    I don't know. Nobody here does. Marshall's not saying, and everything else is mere inference and speculation.

    Do I want Marshall Faulk to retire?

    Without question... yes. Yes I do.

    I am a big Marshall Faulk fan. I think his performance from 1999-2001 was the greatest three year run by any RB in NFL history, bar none. We can all talk about Martz, Warner, Bruce and Holt, but make no mistake... the element that made the GSOT one of the greatest offenses ever was Marshall Faulk's ability to be a threat on every single play.

    I know many are holding out hope that Faulk can play another year or two at a high level, even if that means being more of a role player in Steven Jackson's shadow.

    I have my questions as to whether Faulk, or, more specifically, Faulk's knees, can still do that.

    But the main reason I want Faulk to retire is my impression of where Faulk's head is right now. From all I've heard, read and seen, Faulk's words and actions this offseason are those of a guy who just doesn't have that drive anymore.

    Who can blame him? I'm sure its hard for him to accept that he's no longer the feature back. I'm sure he's feeling unsure of what his role will be under a new coaching staff. I'm sure he's concerned about returning at this stage of his career to a team that went 6-10 last season.

    If he does return, what would be his reason? Money? Records? Glory? Faulk has all of these things.

    Some players reach this stage of a career and are still the kind of players you want around because of their "locker room demeanor." Faulk's not that kind of guy. He's not a vocal leader of the team, and he has had the reputation of being a difficult personality when he's not happy.

    Add all of this up, and I can only conclude that the best thing for the Rams this year would be to have Faulk ride off into the sunset. Frankly, I think that may be what is best for Faulk as well.

    All good things must end.
    I'm kind of resurrecting this thread because (and whisper this........) I agree with Avenger.

    Before this post gets deleted, I just thought I'd add that my reasons echo some of those already posted, but are may be different in one respect.

    Aside from the many technical discussion one could have about schemes, changes of personnel or positional coaching and co-ordination changes one, thing for me stands out.

    Marshall Faulk owes nothing to this franchise or anyone in it and his health is worth far more than any contribution he may make to the team.

    We are extremely unlikely to challenging for a championship this season, and on that basis his potential gain, in terms he couched himself, are minimal.

    He should do whatever makes him happy.

    If that's a last hurrah, so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •