Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I want to see...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I want to see...

...more contributions from Quick, Givens, and Pead. I expect more from guys who were our top picks, and quite frankly we've had too many guys who either never panned out or took way too long to become serviceable players. While I understand some guys take longer to develop than others, the average NFL career is 3 years. The nature of the business dictates teams can't wait forever for guys to be ready. 1st and 2nd round picks need to contribute significantly in a short period of time if we are going to turn the corner as a franchise. Contrast their performances with that of Richardson- a 7th rounder who was outstanding on Sunday and more importantly, appears to have gotten better every week.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: I want to see...

Agreed. I think Pead will take longest to develop, especially how Richardson is looking. Givens with that speed can be very dangerous once him and Bradford get the chemistry going.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Good luck on this one. On average it takes most WR's 2 years to develop (there aren't too many A.J. Green's out there), and many forget that "Megatron" was not a beast when he first entered into the league. It takes time. As far as Pead is concerned, the game still seems too fast for him, if he can provide anything, it may be mid-season; in addition we don't know mentally how well he'll deal with a 7th round draft choice coming in and taking the #2 job from him. Only time will tell.
    Rambos, MauiRam, LA Rammer and 2 others like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

The Rams knew Givens and Quick would be projects when they drafted them. It would have been nice to get some guys ready to play right now, but this year's crop of WR was short on NFL-ready guys. They'll get there, it's only two games.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    The Rams knew Givens and Quick would be projects when they drafted them. It would have been nice to get some guys ready to play right now, but this year's crop of WR was short on NFL-ready guys. They'll get there, it's only two games.
    I'm not too sure my friend. That's been said for guys like Pettis, Gilyard, Salas, Alexander, etc. But hopefully we'll have better luck this time around. Honestly I'd feel better by going after a guy like Wallace or Bowe (depending on the price), a proven vet that can pay instant dividends rather than waiting for yet another rookie to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I'm not too sure my friend. That's been said for guys like Pettis, Gilyard, Salas, Alexander, etc. But hopefully we'll have better luck this time around. Honestly I'd feel better by going after a guy like Wallace or Bowe (depending on the price), a proven vet that can pay instant dividends rather than waiting for yet another rookie to develop.
    Developing is no guarantee, but that's the draft. If it were, Seattle would have 4 time pro bowl LB named Aaron Curry. That said, you can't dismiss every prospect who doesn't shine from day 1, and demand instant results. Patience isn't much fun, especially when you can't guarantee being patient will pay the dividends you seek. I'd like to add Bowe myself too, but I also understand that probably won't happen this season (Well, maybe if the Chiefs are out of it, but it would cost us at least a 1st), and I also understand that it's only been two games so far, and we picked receivers that we knew were raw and would take some time to contribute at the NFL level.

As far as Pead, I would have liked to see a more polished back coming from the 2nd round. I'm just glad Richardson has picked up that slack.
    shower beers and ManofGod like this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

yeah does TS not watch football? Receivers are usually one of the slowest to make the transition to the NFL.

It can take a receiver 2,3 or 4 years to start making a significant impact. I don't see how he can be surprised that Quick, a guy from basically a D2 school, is not contributing yet. I would be surprised if he contributes at all this year. I think Givens will get more time just based on his speed but neither of these guys are going to be key parts of the offense this year.

Pead, on the other hand, plays RB which may be the easiest position to pick up. Still it's only been 2 games. Even running backs can take sometime. The best running back in the league this year maybe CJ Spiller and he looked absolutely lost his rookie year.

It's just way, way too early to judge any rookie. Shoot Givens and Quick will see even less time now that Pettis is back. He was pretty clearly our 2nd best receiver in camp and preseason and he's our biggest receivers besides Quick.
    ManofGod likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I trust that Fisher knows how to develop players. I'm sure he wants to get these guys playing time sooner than later. However in-game situations are dictating when he feels comfortable plugging them in. Let's not forget Fisher is still trying to WIN as many games as he can.
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Pead, on the other hand, plays RB which may be the easiest position to pick up. Still it's only been 2 games. Even running backs can take sometime. The best running back in the league this year maybe CJ Spiller and he looked absolutely lost his rookie year.
    Except for blitz pickup, that's one of the more difficult aspects of the position. I don't know where Pead is on that, but his ability to hit holes and know when the bounce outside didn't seem to be there in the pre-season.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Who is this "Quick" you speak of?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Good luck on this one. On average it takes most WR's 2 years to develop (there aren't too many A.J. Green's out there), and many forget that "Megatron" was not a beast when he first entered into the league. It takes time. As far as Pead is concerned, the game still seems too fast for him, if he can provide anything, it may be mid-season; in addition we don't know mentally how well he'll deal with a 7th round draft choice coming in and taking the #2 job from him. Only time will tell.
    Blackmon through two games has 3 catches for 24 yards. To your point it will take even the highest receivers drafted time. No rookie receiver has more then 61 receiving yards to date.

Quick was on the field and had a pass thrown his way it was one of the few bad passes Bradford threw all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Blackmon through two games has 3 catches for 24 yards. To your point it will take even the highest receivers drafted time. No rookie receiver has more then 61 receiving yards to date.

Quick was on the field and had a pass thrown his way it was one of the few bad passes Bradford threw all day.
    Was it a bad pass, or a poor route by Quick?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Was it a bad pass, or a poor route by Quick?
    Good point I don't know. The ball was behind him that's all I know. It was a tough catch none the less. Last week Givens missed a hot route and Bradford threw the ball to a spot where Givens should have been. So you have a point.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Don't worry about Quick, Pead and Givens yet. It's two games. Give them time.

Even if you consider the average NFL career of 3 years, that's 2 games out of 48.

Both Quick and Givens were targeted against the Redskins, so they are obviously coming on a bit. Pead hasn't had a carry yet, but rather than seeing that as a problem with Pead, why not assume it's because Richardson has been great?

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Except for blitz pickup, that's one of the more difficult aspects of the iposition. I don't know where Pead is on that, but his ability to hit holes and know when the bounce outside didn't seem to be there in the pre-season.
    yeah I'm far more worried about Pead than Quick/Givens. Mostly because I'm not worried about Givens or Quick at all.

Like I noted earlier, CJ Spiller, who is easily one of most talented backs in the league, had these same problems his first year and finished with a whopping 283 years on 3.8 yards per carry. Even though running back is one of the easier positions to pick up there is still an adjustment period. Another example is Reggie Bush. It took him years to become the player we thought he'd be.
    ManofGod likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast